Memphis up to no good . . . | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Memphis up to no good . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
I actually have little issue with this. Well known and good high school coach in the area, played D-I basketball, and judging by his sons, he must be pretty good at developing talent. As far as these kinds of hires go, this one is not that bad.

Completely agree. His resume speaks for itself. This is a non-story.

Reaction Score
Imagine if this man's youngest kid becomes Memphis' LeBron James. Loyalty to the place you live goes a very long way.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
My title to this thread wasnt to say you guys are actually up to no good. Its obviously completely legal. I just don't like the precedent. This isnt when a head coach is already at a school and his son comes to play for him a la Doug McDermott. This just in my mind is against what the NCAA pretends its against

It's not setting any precedent. It's happened a number of times with parent/coaches, AAU and high school coaches. I guess the only real difference is this time it may reap the school 3 standout players instead of just 1. Well done Memphis.

Reaction Score
Here is what I think the real problem in this is. Memphis can't pay players. So Memphis pays father (perhaps more than father is worth), father gives kids money. So essentially, colleges can pay basketball and football players provided their parents at least appear qualified to coach.
That is illegal. Father cannot pay kids, not even as an allowance.

Happened with McDermont this year.

Reaction Score
Here is what I think the real problem in this is. Memphis can't pay players. So Memphis pays father (perhaps more than father is worth), father gives kids money. So essentially, colleges can pay basketball and football players provided their parents at least appear qualified to coach.
Well that's the way to do it. We don't need to, so it may be hard for us to understand. If its not illegal, then not much can be said.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
ooof.

What I mean by that is Vandy is a highly respected academic institution (AAU)....if it's "above board" enough for a snobby private school to try...no reason we shouldn't do it.

pj

Reaction Score
What I mean by that is Vandy is a highly respected academic institution (AAU)....if it's "above board" enough for a snobby private school to try...no reason we shouldn't do it.

UNC is a highly respected academic institution (AAU).

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
UNC is a highly respected academic institution (AAU).
Vanderbilt is Yale compared to UNC. Yes UNC has a few decent academic departments, and is generally a good school, but they allow athletics a great deal of slack simply because they bring in the money. OTOH, Vanderbilt, like Stanford, like Yale, and some other institutions, tells the athletic department to go suck eggs when they attempt to bring in academically substandard students. Yeah, this is a quid pro quo that may be in the shade of the tree at high noon, but this is not the deep in the coal mines under cover of darkness activities that occurs in some schools.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, I have no problem with this. However, the irony doesn't escape me that this is the coach who did not play or suspended a kid for swearing - but a $100k payoff is ok.

Reaction Score
It's not setting any precedent. It's happened a number of times with parent/coaches, AAU and high school coaches. I guess the only real difference is this time it may reap the school 3 standout players instead of just 1. Well done Memphis.

That's right.

When Calipari brought in Mitch Wagner to get DeJuan Wagner ... he only got ONE kid. Pastner just is far more productive going 1 job for 3 kids.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
That's right.

When Calipari brought in Mitch Wagner to get DeJuan Wagner ... he only got ONE kid. Pastner just is far more productive going 1 job for 3 kids.

This is actually how the squid landed World Wide Wes.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Hahaha. Some things never change. This is such classic Memphis, they were a shady program long before Calipari walked through those doors. Remember when they hired Milt Wagner just to get DaJuan Wagner???

Funny how they are such a shady program, yet they never win anything meaningful! Oh Memphis, you will always be here to humor me.

Reaction Score
If you think your dad could get you to the NBA, that may change your mind...just sayin' (these kids are from a rough neighborhood)
I was really just speculating on the psychology of teenagers. I personally didn't attend UConn in no small part because 50mi was just too close to home. As long as a person isn't over all kinds of people to improve their position in the world, I cant knock either father or son for trying to get ahead. That said, I don't think I would be much of UConn fan anymore if we pulled this kind of move, but to each their own.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Hahaha. Some things never change. This is such classic Memphis, they were a shady program long before Calipari walked through those doors. Remember when they hired Milt Wagner just to get DaJuan Wagner???

Funny how they are such a shady program, yet they never win anything meaningful! Oh Memphis, you will always be here to humor me.

if you guys didn't just lose to Harvard...HARVARD...in the first round, no less...I might take you serious.

pj

Reaction Score
if you guys didn't just lose to Harvard...HARVARD...in the first round, no less...I might take you serious.

You can't expect Cincy to be competitive given their academic standards.

Reaction Score
Love how the Memphis columnist Geoff Calkins just flat said this is how we got Derrick Rose, Tyreke Evans & Chris Douglas-Roberts. I don't think Calhoun was ever as OVERTLY mercenary as Calipari. We just skirted the edge ... a little. (and btw - so did Gary Williams & then he whined about it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom