Memorable calls in basketball- one phrase, try not using vids | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Memorable calls in basketball- one phrase, try not using vids

Reaction Score
Unpopular opinion, but I've always hated having that line as the enduring coda on our 1st NC.

Nantz had at least 48 hours and probably longer to come up with something (these things are not spontaneous) and that's the best he could do? It's not only cheesy, it's kinda demeaning. "Just when you think you can't"? Who on that team or staff ever let "we can't" enter their minds? No one.

Totally get the cheese, for sure... Obviously, in that moment the cheese tasted quite good.

I think we do need to recognize context here. At that point in our evolution JC was still known as a coach couldn't "win the big one." We had been to three Elite Eights and lost to better teams and had gotten upset (and played horribly) in two sweet sixteen losses with teams people thought were championship level and blown out in another. So while everyone knew JC was a good coach who had a built a program out of nothing, there were still tons of doubters regarding if he could get us to a final four. I remember being far more tense for the Gonzaga Elite 8 game than the championship.

And, stupid as it was, very few people besides us (and probably including some of us) thought we would beat that Duke team. I know I was having doubts if we could hang as we started out down 9-2 at the first TV timeout. Momentum shifted completely with the famous KEA diving on the floor play to feed Rip who scored over a flopping Langdon.

Reaction Score
My memory is that the "It's late..." was actually a newspaper headline... To do an offshoot of that, after we beat Nebraska in the tourney in maybe 91 or 92, a newspaper headline was "Husker Don't" which is a tremendous allusion to an insanely underrated band.

I'd add that most of Nantz's commentary in the last minute or so in the 99 game is extremely memorable. I always liked, cheesy as it is, "Just when you think you can't, you can, and UConn has won the national championship."
There was also a small article in Mojo two months ago about Hurley Sr.'s influence on Dan and his brother:
"Bob Moulds his boys into basketball royalty"

Reaction Score
'Havelcheck stole the ball' by Johnny Most is the more famous one
100% that one is way more famous. But as a Pistons fan born in 79, the Bird one is the one that haunts me most.

Reaction Score
Unpopular opinion, but I've always hated having that line as the enduring coda on our 1st NC.

Nantz had at least 48 hours and probably longer to come up with something (these things are not spontaneous) and that's the best he could do? It's not only cheesy, it's kinda demeaning. "Just when you think you can't"? Who on that team or staff ever let "we can't" enter their minds? No one.
Jim Nantz, despite his decades of prominence in college basketball, football, and golf announcing, has remarkably few notable calls.

He kind of embodies the safe, high-floor style of announcing that some folks find comfortable but others find boring. I for one am happy to have Ian Eagle in that seat now.

Reaction Score
The only baseball call that compares to Buck's first quote is the Russ Hodges call (luckily before my time) of Bobby Thomson's home run: "There's a long fly ball -- it's going to be I believe -- the Giants win the pennant!"
“For the past two weeks you have been reading about a bad break, yet today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth…. thank you.”

IMG_0866.jpeg

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I believe Timmy Brando may have been the 1st but not sure, with his common refrain " well how do you do".

Reaction Score
I like the signature catch-phrases and things, but I think the spirit of this thread is iconic moments that can be identified on the basis of their call.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
"Just when you think you can't, you can, and UCONN has won the national championship!!"

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
“He’s got gettin away from the cops speed!!!” - Gus

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I like the signature catch-phrases and things, but I think the spirit of this thread is iconic moments that can be identified on the basis of their call.
This is the Boneyard. You're lucky most posters got that it was basketball and that you're not seeing movie quotes.

Reaction Score
Okay, this one kind of sucks but I remember it...

"Folks you gotta believe because just when people say U can't, U can and UConn has won the national championship."
This was the one that came to mind.

Reaction Score
Holy cow, that Huckleberry…….

…….and that ball is OUTAA here

………no one goes there anymore, it’s too crowded………

Some might not remember the 2nd one.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Since nobody else can follow the clear instructions given...

"You're excited? Feel these nipples!"

Reaction Score
"this one good if it goes...oh we didda, are you kidding!" I never could really understand what he was saying after Jalen's shot.

Reaction Score
“3 point game, a 3 to tie and force overtime again…Peyton Siva…off for Knowles…OH OFF THE BACK RIM. CONNECTICUT, HAS WON THE BIG EAST CHAMPIONSHIP”

“Five and a half (seconds) to go for UConn. Napier. They have a time out-they don’t use it- for the win..OHHHHHHHH WOOOHOOHOO. ONIONS!”

“Another loose ball. UConn alley oop- WOAH! STICKS, TO THE RAFTERS. GO GET IT STANLEY”

Reaction Score
One of the greatest ever…

“He gets the rebound, passes it to the man, and boom goes the dynamite.”

Reaction Score
If we're switching onto all sports and going for full sentences...

"If I have hurt anyone out there, I can't tell you how much I say from the bottom of my heart I'm so very, very sorry. I pride myself and think of myself as a man of faith – as there's a drive into deep left field by Castellanos, it will be a home run. And so that will make it a 4–0 ballgame. – I don't know if I'm gonna be putting on this headset again."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom