McCoy Announces Final 6 (no UConn) | The Boneyard

McCoy Announces Final 6 (no UConn)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Matt Wettersten ‏@WCIA3Matt 17m17 minutes ago
Tori McCoy's college list in alphabetical order: Baylor, Illinois, Marquette, Ohio State, South Carolina, Tennessee.

I've questioned for awhile whether UConn was still pursuing McCoy since sources indicated no offer was made during the home visit in the spring. This announcement doesn't answer the question of whether one or both parties lost interest in the other, but it doesn't really matter.

Surprising not to see Louisville on this list.

Reaction Score
A little surprised to see Illinois on the list.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Marquette? Now that's a head-scratcher.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Just looking at the list, I think she ends up at Ohio State. They're building a powerhouse team and will likely replace ND as the Best Team in the MidWest. If they get McCoy they'll have enough talent to to compete with the best teams and win.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Her younger sister also has a scholarship offer there. IMO, Illinois & Marquette are likely sentimental picks.

Ah, that makes sense. I didn't know that about her sister.

Reaction Score
Matt Wettersten ‏@WCIA3Matt 17m17 minutes ago
Tori McCoy's college list in alphabetical order: Baylor, Illinois, Marquette, Ohio State, South Carolina, Tennessee.

I've questioned for awhile whether UConn was still pursuing McCoy since sources indicated no offer was made during the home visit in the spring. This announcement doesn't answer the question of whether one or both parties lost interest in the other, but it doesn't really matter.

Surprising not to see Louisville on this list.
Visits---To the colleges and to the homes serve to judge compatibility. Lots has been said about Geno's dislike of parents who coach from the sideline or call constantly--home visits with Geno, while cordial, lets Geno know who will who won't interfere.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Just looking at the list, I think she ends up at Ohio State. They're building a powerhouse team and will likely replace ND as the Best Team in the MidWest. If they get McCoy they'll have enough talent to to compete with the best teams and win.

That bolded statement, just wow. You do realize that the Irish have three McDonald's All-Americans in this year's freshman class and commitments from two of the top 10 for 2016, including Erin Boley, who both ESPN and ProspectsNation rank higher than McCoy, right?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

You know this just by looking at her list? Maybe you should sell your crystal ball services to the other coaches so they'll know not to waste their time.

Even if McCoy chooses OSU I'd take ND's projected roster every day and twice on Sunday. Maybe McGuff and his program should actually accomplish something before being anointed the next big thing in women's basketball.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Visits---To the colleges and to the homes serve to judge compatibility. Lots has been said about Geno's dislike of parents who coach from the sideline or call constantly--home visits with Geno, while cordial, lets Geno know who will who won't interfere.

Why post something like this when you have no idea what Geno thought coming out of that home visit?

HGN

Reaction Score
Maybe chemistry or personalities just did not mesh during Geno's home visit....Plus , Tori never made an Official visit to UConn. Tori had said that she wanted to wait until next spring before making a final decision. I was hoping for an Official and Offer at that time. But that doesn't look like it's going to happen.

I am thinking OSU or Marquette.....She will be a good addition no matter where she lands.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
HGN you are the second person to imply that the McCoy home visit may not have gone well. Just curious, why is that?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

IMO you are underestimating ND prematurely. I suggest changing the wording of the first bolded statement from "will likely replace" to "may compete with." Then delete "and win" from second bolded phrase.

Once done, you will have endorsed OSU's potential without going over the top vis-a-vis ND.

Just a suggestion. ;)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
McCoy Announces Final 6 (no UConn)

Apparently the med school was more important to her than basketball. This was so shocking that Geno actually reached out to Calhoun, of all people, to talk to McCoy, given his relationship with the Pat and Jim Calhoun Cardiology Center to express UConn's commitment to medicine and it great med school while emphasizing the potential for a career in basketball.

Apparently Calhoun hit the basketball part a little too hard because the eventual response was:

Bones-leonard-bones-mccoy-18368987-300-259.jpg

"Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor not a basketball player."

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
HGN you are the second person to imply that the McCoy home visit may not have gone well. Just curious, why is that?

If I'm the first person, allow me to correct that impression. I never said nor implied that the visit didn't go well. (Geno posed for a photo with Mr McCoy during the visit.) I simply said that Geno didn't extend an offer during the visit and nothing more. The decision not to extend an offer after that visit could have been for any number of reasons. We don't know and don't really need to know.

HGN

Reaction Score
CoCo , in one of the videos where Tori's dad was helping her with drills , he gave a statement of how great it would be for them to get a visit and OFFER from Geno. He literally was asking for Geno to recruit and OFFER Tori. So after Geno made the Home Visit the dad and Geno was pictured together. Smiling . I concluded that the visit had gone well........But obviously it didn't go well enough for UConn to be included in her final list , or an OFFER was not made. Take your pick.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If I'm the first person, allow me to correct that impression. I never said nor implied that the visit didn't go well. (Geno posed for a photo with Mr McCoy during the visit.) I simply said that Geno didn't extend an offer during the visit and nothing more. The decision not to extend an offer after that visit could have been for any number of reasons. We don't know and don't really need to know.
Your post was not the first. I should have stated it was Broadway's with this statement: Lots has been said about Geno's dislike of parents who coach from the sideline or call constantly--home visits with Geno, while cordial, lets Geno know who will who won't interfere". It was curiosity question more than anything- no correction necessary. Thanks

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
That bolded statement, just wow. You do realize that the Irish have three McDonald's All-Americans in this year's freshman class and commitments from two of the top 10 for 2016, including Erin Boley, who both ESPN and ProspectsNation rank higher than McCoy, right?
You do realize tOSU returns the B1G Freshman of the Year and nation's leading scorer, as well as 3 HS AA's that were injured last season and next year they bring in Sierra Calhoun and Stephanie Mavunga two WCBB AA's both rated higher than any one ND has signed.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
CoCo , in one of the videos where Tori's dad was helping her with drills , he gave a statement of how great it would be for them to get a visit and OFFER from Geno. He literally was asking for Geno to recruit and OFFER Tori. So after Geno made the Home Visit the dad and Geno was pictured together. Smiling . I concluded that the visit had gone well...But obviously it didn't go well enough for UConn to be included in her final list , or an OFFER was not made. Take your pick.
I know the video you are speaking of because I think I was the one who posted it. I had the same feeling and posted that based on the father's statement if UCONN were to make an offer the McCoy's would find the UCONN offer hard to resist. I probably went overboard and predicted that McCoy was coming to UCONN. A few weeks ago there was a posting questioning if McCoy "ever" got a UCONN offer at all. So I think we are on the same page, you are saying: If the home visit went well there would have been a UCONN offer, If there was an offer UCONN would still be in the running. Does that capture it? Do you think if UCONN does not land Cox they will sign another post for this class?

Reactions: HGN

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
You do realize tOSU returns the B1G Freshman of the Year and nation's leading scorer, as well as 3 HS AA's that were injured last season and next year they bring in Sierra Calhoun and Stephanie Mavunga two WCBB AA's both rated higher than any one ND has signed.

Kelsey Mitchell is very, very good. I don't dispute that.

I assume the HS AAs you are talking about are Chelsea Mitchell, Kianna Holland, and Makayla Waterman, none of whom were actually high-school AAs. Mitchell and Holland were unranked by ESPN. Waterman was ranked 99th.

And of course, neither Calhoun nor Mavunga are WCBB AAs. Calhoun was shooting 31.4% when she left Duke at midseason. Brianna Turner put up 29 pts, 18 reb, 7 blocks against Mavunga and North Carolina last year. Mavunga couldn't take minutes from Reimer (who everyone here said was terrible) at the Pan-Am Games.

Mitchell is great, Mavunga is good not great, Calhoun is an unknown quantity but has potential to be very good. Everybody else they have is way, way below the talent level of what ND has, besides Ameryst Alston who will be gone before Mavunga and Calhoun are able to play for Ohio State.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This is just not accurate. ND has 3 post player (#4 Reimer, #4 Boley #2 Turner) that were both ranked way higher than Mavunga who was #23 overall.
ND also has 3 Guards/Wings (#10 Ogunbowale, & #13 Patberg & #9 Young) that were rated higher that Sierra Calhoun who was # 16 overall.

HGN

Reaction Score
I know the video you are speaking of because I think I was the one who posted it. I had the same feeling and posted that based on the father's statement if UCONN were to make an offer the McCoy's would find the UCONN offer hard to resist. I probably went overboard and predicted that McCoy was coming to UCONN. A few weeks ago there was a posting questioning if McCoy "ever" got a UCONN offer at all. So I think we are on the same page, you are saying: If the home visit went well there would have been a UCONN offer, If there was an offer UCONN would still be in the running. Does that capture it? Do you think if UCONN does not land Cox they will sign another post for this class?
You got it.....That captures it............That is the essence of my statement. And yes , I think UConn is really counting on landing Cox despite all the rumors that she is going to stay close to home. If they can get her to make an OFFICIAL in the Fall I think they may feel they have a good chance. I think she already has an OFFER from UConn. (Which may speak volumes on how much Geno wants her since I don't believe Holmes nor McCoy received one). But if Cox decides to go elsewhere I do think Geno will go hard after another post for 2016 . There's not many top rated posts in 2017. With Butler the only true post on the roster and no one else over 6'3" (KLS) UConn would be in a slight height challenged predicament I think if fouls or injury beset Butler......Possibly Aiyeotan. But size in the post will be needed.

JMHO.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
Cox will make an official visit to UConn. She is visiting all six schools officially, with Baylor likely being paid for by the family since it's close to home.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I apologize if this is a duplicate.

Tori McCoy Finalists

Alphabetical:

Baylor
Illinois
Marquette
Ohio State
South Carolina
Tennessee

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Aside from Cox, the other uncommitted 2016 post Geno has shown interest in is 6-9 Felicia Aiyeotan of Philadelphia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom