Mayonnaise on French Fries?? | The Boneyard

Mayonnaise on French Fries??

Is Mayonnaise an acceptable dippy sauce for fries?

• Yes

Votes: 57 35.2%
  • No

Votes: 84 51.9%
  • This is actually a thing???

Votes: 21 13.0%

• Total voters

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Some parts of the US and some other parts of the world, mayonnaise is the default condiment for fries.

For the life of me, it makes no sense, but I know it's a real thing.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Absolutely. Mayo has been my default even before going to Belgium, albeit it was a Belgian restaurant here in Pgh famous for it's moules and frites. Not just any mayo though. TJs non-organic mayo was best for fries, but they stopped selling that it appears. Hellmans just doesn't cut it. Obviously not Miracle Whip (puke). Current jam is Duke's, sometimes with a couple dollops of Peri-Peri sauce. Fwiw, a garlic aioli is even better.

Ketchup is for kids.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
There's a Belgian-French restaurant close to me — yes the owner is Belgian — and she makes a homemade mayo that puts all other so-called mayos to shame.

I'm not a ketchup guy to begin with, but I wouldn't dream of having anything else but Catherine's mayonnaise for the fries that come with my omelette.

Reaction Score
Honey mustard all day. Ketchup as a backup if I’m feeling traditional. Mayo never.

Reaction Score
It’s a great option with a good homemade mayo (picked it up from French grandmother where that’s the default). Malt vinegar also a great option. I’m also not a huge ketchup person though and think that is a wildly overrated and boring condiment.

Reaction Score
Good fries will stand alone with just a little salt, but its become harder and harder to find good fries, so you generally need to put something on them.

Almost doesn’t matter. Like malt vinegar, use ketchup if thats whats there, and our corner establishment serves some type of mayo based sauce that seems like it may have a dab of ketchup but also something else that provides some heat. All perfecly adequate for choking down substandard fries. Can’t say I‘ve ever had plain mayo, but if thiat was what was put in front of me, I’m sure it would be fine as well.

Reaction Score
Bbq sauce mayo and pickles cut up rock. With alittle honey

Reaction Score
Mayo with fries is very European. It’s good.

For everyone’s consideration, if we include Garlic, Truffle, or Chipotle Aioli as a dipping sauce under Mayo (which at many places is literally flavored mayo) then I’m sure more would find it acceptable.

Straight mayo is good too, but aioli is elite.

Reaction Score
Honey mustard.

I voted no to traditional mayo, but I'll give a pass to the many new flavored mayo out there.

Reaction Score
Vomit Eww GIF by The Bachelor Australia

Reaction Score
Some parts of the US and some other parts of the world, mayonnaise is the default condiment for fries.

For the life of me, it makes no sense, but I know it's a real thing.
You just watch Pulp Fiction or something?

Reaction Score
Honey mustard is the answer. Though some of the other options thrown out here are intriguing

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom