May Seem Downer...it's an Upper | The Boneyard

May Seem Downer...it's an Upper

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The SI thing in another thread pushed me over the edge, relegating me to a bizzare version of channeling Tonyc. First, let me say that I am a great fan of Stewie. The kid delivers time and again and the wow factor is big. Howsomeever (I know it's tough with the two es together, but work through it) she does what she does with the benefit of having become the centerpiece of the most well integrated offensive/defensive machine in college ball. I hasten to add that she could be elsewhere and add 10 ppg to her stat line, but the game would not be as artistic and satisfying. We have two senior AAs who will be sorely missed and KML and MOjeff creating a whole tableau of scarey good basketball and Kiah waiting in the wings to scare the heck out of any opposing center. BB and Saniya will deliver when it counts. Point being, we are damn lucky to have them all and the media may focus it's hoopla on Stewie, but Stewie knows, and we know, that it takes more than one musician to play a symphony.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Whistling in the wind my friend - we live in an age of personalities and the concept of putting a face to a franchise. Agree with everything you say, but then I refer to the Bill Russell Celtics or the Michael Jordan Bulls or the Magic Johnson Lakers ...

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
It amazes me that the more Stewie is recognized, the more grounded and humble she seems to get. Credit to team mates, coaches, parents, etc... And a shy admission she played well, quickly followed by a promise to improve various "imperfect" parts of her game. Come to think of it, she sucks at the half court shot w/ time running out in the half......(sarcasm). :)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It amazes me that the more Stewie is recognized, the more grounded and humble she seems to get. Credit to team mates, coaches, parents, etc... And a shy admission she played well, quickly followed by a promise to improve various "imperfect" parts of her game. Come to think of it, she sucks at the half court shot w/ time running out in the half.(sarcasm). :)

Your first observation - a new thought to me and just dead on. Now it seems intuitive. While striving to reach a goal in a new environment anyone can vacillate between their way and the "other" way. Her freshman year Stewie did that. Now she is all in. And that half court shot, maybe Caroline Doty can come back and teach her how to make it with her back to the basket!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
David - great post, and RMB2 great follow on.
The piece I remember is that All Access segment at the beginning of the year when the coaches were talking about Stewart in the office and saying 'She's doing the same thing she did last year, trying to do it her way, and when she did it her way she struggled all year.' (CD I think) Followed by a shot in practice with CD and Geno at one end under the basket and the players running a play at the other end with Stewart hitting a three and Geno saying something like 'She needs to grow up ... but, she can be pretty incredible.' That was preseason, and obviously the light came on before the games began and she just seems so focused on the process and the coaching now.
Just an aside, but I love the inside looks we get from SNY - KML in the office, the coaches chatter, the players - we are so lucky!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom