Matthew Wood to the Portal | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Matthew Wood to the Portal

Reaction Score
Answer to the second question is yes. This is a job in a premier conference in the game and there are only about 60 D 1 jobs in total. NO more than about half are in leagues that could be considered comparable or close to HEA. And there are only a handful, if that, of those open in any given year. Brown isn’t moving from BC, but there wouldn’t be a lack of candidates.

Who would we get? Not sure but I would absolutely talk to Eric Lang from AIC. Built a longtime bottom-feeder into a top AHA program. Been to 3 NCAA Tournaments from a 1 bid league.
Maybe Joe Pereira the BU assistant. He was here for 9 years.
What about an assistant from UND? I doing my PhD at North Dakota, and they're OBSESSED with hockey out here. And they're cosidered one of the best programs in the country.

Reaction Score
What about an assistant from UND? I doing my PhD at North Dakota, and they're OBSESSED with hockey out here. And they're cosidered one of the best programs in the country.
We can throw names out all day but the bigger name(s) we need is who is gonna step up to write a check to fund the +/- $2.4 buyout needed to make a head coach change? ;)

Reaction Score
We can throw names out all day but the bigger name(s) we need is who is gonna step up to write a check to fund the +/- $2.4 buyout needed to make a head coach change? ;)
Makes sense. I'm not totally unsold on Cav. He's brought this team to a much better position than it was when he was hired. I hope he can have next year's squad bounce back from whatever this last season was.

Reaction Score
Makes sense. I'm not totally unsold on Cav. He's brought this team to a much better position than it was when he was hired. I hope he can have next year's squad bounce back from whatever this last season was.
Cav's whole existence is based on his recruiting at BC where he brought in NHL players, that's how he was sold to UConn. If said NHL-caliber players (Wood, Samu, etc.) can't develop at UConn then his whole appeal goes out the window. With the top-level players leaving and transferring to other schools so they can actually develop it makes it really hard for Cav moving forward. I can't see how he can continue on as head coach much longer.

Reaction Score
I don’t really know the top coaches any more. I just threw out a couple of names I think might fit. I’m sure there are others. My preference would be an east coast guy. Heard a ton of good stuff about the guy at AIC. But it is a small club and Hockey East jobs don’t come open all that often. Lots of people would be interested.

Reaction Score
I don’t really know the top coaches any more. I just threw out a couple of names I think might fit. I’m sure there are others. My preference would be an east coast guy. Heard a ton of good stuff about the guy at AIC. But it is a small club and Hockey East jobs don’t come open all that often. Lots of people would be interested.
You probably know way more than me haha. All I know is UND Hockey fans are getting real tired of their coach not getting a NC. Maybe we could scoop him up if we lose Cav.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure what the expectations are from the administration regarding hockey, but making the NCAA’s once every 5 to 7 years is realistic given the competition in HEA. If we moved to Atlantic Hockey, making the NCAA’s 4 out of every 5 years would be very doable.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure what the expectations are from the administration regarding hockey, but making the NCAA’s once every 5 to 7 years is realistic given the competition in HEA. If we moved to Atlantic Hockey, making the NCAA’s 4 out of every 5 years would be very doable.
We aren’t moving to Atlantic Hockey. We want to regularly go to the Garden for the Hockey East championships and get to the NCAA tournament on a very regular basis. That isn’t easy in Hockey East. But then, UMass was a dog for years. They aren’t now. Maine struggled for several years. They seem to have turned it around. But it took a couple of years. We looked to be on a solid trajectory from 2020-22, then it turned in 23 and kept going the wrong way this year.

Reaction Score
I have been a season ticketholder since we joined Hockey East. Because of Hockey East. If UConn leaves Hockey East my season tickets will vanish just like our power play.

Reaction Score
We aren’t moving to Atlantic Hockey. We want to regularly go to the Garden for the Hockey East championships and get to the NCAA tournament on a very regular basis. That isn’t easy in Hockey East. But then, UMass was a dog for years. They aren’t now. Maine struggled for several years. They seem to have turned it around. But it took a couple of years. We looked to be on a solid trajectory from 2020-22, then it turned in 23 and kept going the wrong way this year.
Why? Was it the coaching (x’s o’s), development ( or lack of ), overrated talent, or not enough talent overall on the roster? I thought the program was on the climb as well but there’s gotta be other factors contributing to everything that’s played out the past season and half. I think to start, Nashville played a role and it’s obvious Uconn was Sami’s second option. Im trying to spin it in a positive manner, maybe it was just a perfect storm of things that are responsible. The problem will be getting that type of talent back on the roster again. What’s the plan for that is what I’m interested in knowing.

Is there a schedule release date?

Reaction Score
Why? Was it the coaching (x’s o’s), development ( or lack of ), overrated talent, or not enough talent overall on the roster? I thought the program was on the climb as well but there’s gotta be other factors contributing to everything that’s played out the past season and half. I think to start, Nashville played a role and it’s obvious Uconn was Sami’s second option. Im trying to spin it in a positive manner, maybe it was just a perfect storm of things that are responsible. The problem will be getting that type of talent back on the roster again. What’s the plan for that is what I’m interested in knowing.

The program is on climb. This past season HE was just really loaded with talent. It was just a vert tough league to compete in this season. BC and BU had a lot of elite talent on the roster this year. Many of those players will be turning pro. Therefore BC and BU will come back to the pack. UConn just needs to continue with the game plan for growth, slow and steady. There will always be set backs along the road. UConn will battle through it. UConn is a name brand in college athletics. All UConn does is win. UConn's hockey future is bright. Stealing a line from the late George Michael "You just got to have faith".

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

They won’t get that talent again with this staff. That is over. The book is out and NHL clubs do not trust this staff to develop elite guys. Recalibrate your expectations.

The schedule will be released sometime in September. Per Dan Connolly, it will be mostly the same OOC teams you always see.

Nothing will change.

Reaction Score
They won’t get that talent again with this staff. That is over. The book is out and NHL clubs do not trust this staff to develop elite guys. Recalibrate your expectations.

The schedule will be released sometime in September. Per Dan Connolly, it will be mostly the same OOC teams you always see.

Nothing will change.
I wouldn’t classify it as my expectations, I’m not completely sold on it being all coaching staff. Now, I can’t comment on the hockey X’s and O’s but it seems odd that in a relatively short period, the staff is deemed incompetent, essentially. I don’t have an interest either way outside of being a fan of the program for a few years…if they can’t X and O the team to wins or recruit the talent necessary to compensate that, amongst other factors, then yea maybe it’s time to look elsewhere. As for the NHL, I think a “ conflict of interest” is beyond in play so I take that with a grain of salt. They want what’s best for their investment, not Uconn. And that’s ok. Just depends how it pertains to your point of view. I believe they had an identity problem all season. At times they wanted to be the physical team of 22’ but lacked the personnel(hence the penalties/majors), they wanted to be the 1st rd talent factory, but had the overall talent of a blue collar overachiever…I think that’s why Muldowney stood out to me, not the most talented but skilled enough but with a lot “it” factor. Richard is talented.

Reaction Score

Nothing will change.
Our rink pales by comparison to the rest of HE (Merrimack notwithstanding..............big deal)! Our best players are now leaving us, not directly for the NHL, but for better college programs that will enhance their future NHL prospects. Wood and Sami are NOT leaving for the NHL, they are leaving to improve their NHL future. Denver and Minnesota?........ Duh. Would you play an additional year there, or stay in Storrs to languish for another year in a program that is going sideways?

Reaction Score
Our rink pales by comparison to the rest of HE (Merrimack notwithstanding..............big deal)! Our best players are now leaving us, not directly for the NHL, but for better college programs that will enhance their future NHL prospects. Wood and Sami are NOT leaving for the NHL, they are leaving to improve their NHL future. Denver and Minnesota?........ Duh. Would you play an additional year there, or stay in Storrs to languish for another year in a program that is going sideways?
This is my point, why are NHL execs now alienating Uconn hockey?? What has happened in 18 months. There’s been other pro caliber talent ( not to Wood’s draft status) but some legit talent…I’m not defending the staff or leading the charge against them either. Again, I just find it odd that all of a sudden all talented players will regress while at Uconn. Outside of eye tests, I can’t say for certain if these guys have generally regressed after arriving at Uconn. I don’t think that’s true across the board. Wood’s greatest weakness is a lack of speed/acceleration. That’s not exactly an X and O issue. It’s just one example though. There are better hockey programs out there, but a few short years ago there were also better basketball programs as well. I’m Not comparing coaches or staffs! It’s simply a fact.

Reaction Score
Nobody is leaving because of the rink. It has every state of the art training aid known to man, I’m told. And we are in the era of NIL and unlimited transfers. We will see how it works out for May. I. Wish him well, but he needs to improve his speed and quickness. We will see if it works out.

Reaction Score
Nobody is leaving because of the rink. It has every state of the art training aid known to man, I’m told. And we are in the era of NIL and unlimited transfers. We will see how it works out for May. I. Wish him well, but he needs to improve his speed and quickness. We will see if it works out.

The NIL piece is real, but one must ask why 3 of the 4 players from UConn who had significant playing time and are draft picks left. If facilities are top notch and are there to improve their physical well being and performance and the staff is also doing their job, there shouldn't be this many, particularly with foreign players. Something’s isn’t adding up. We did notice that coach Cav seemed to have lost this team for stretches highlighted by undisciplined play. Maybe he’s not one who can work with these personalities and he has to reset and develop a culture that truly wants to play for his program and the campus they attend.

It doesn’t help when the arena experience at Toscano is lame and doesn’t generate the passion and enthusiasm that Cawlidge Hawkey is supposed to bring. It’s a small part in total, but point is that if a program like UConn‘s is to achieve sustained success, there is little margin of error. All aspects must be clicking and all cylinders firing, and the fan experience piece and therefore energy in the building is one piece that needs attention and must improve….

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Well, Samu was supposed to go to Denver originally, so he already had a connection to them. That made it a much easier move for him.

Reaction Score
To me a big part of our struggle has been between the pipes. The 1 season we had a top level goal tender we almost pulled of winning Hockey East. That was the only time we really had a guy who was a top level goalie. Everyone else has been either ok like Sergeev or not quite like Haider. Even guys who were supposed to be top flight were not quite at the level of the real good HEA guys.

Reaction Score
To me a big part of our struggle has been between the pipes. The 1 season we had a top level goal tender we almost pulled of winning Hockey East. That was the only time we really had a guy who was a top level goalie. Everyone else has been either ok like Sergeev or not quite like Haider. Even guys who were supposed to be top flight were not quite at the level of the real good HEA guys.
We got shutout or scored 1 goal in 13 games this season, how could you possibly say goaltending was the biggest issue.

Reaction Score
I thought Hanson was really good a few years back. He played almost every game. He was the Matt Donlan of the baseball program that season, came in for a year and solidified one of the top positions for that sport. That is not the normal. The hockey program will be lucky if they have another Hanson on the roster this season.

Reaction Score
We got shutout or scored 1 goal in 13 games this season, how could you possibly say goaltending was the biggest issue.
Yup and yet we’re all talking about a few players leaving that had a direct impact on such a bad stat. I’d rather have them back. But…..maybe a perfect storm that led to a underachieving season. Idk. It can get worse, but I’d say similar results or slightly better wouldn’t be unheard of heading into the upcoming season. Given what they lost on paper and the unknowns as of April, if their in a similar position next season where it’s one win away from Boston in the postseason, I think you’d have to be ok with that as a fan. All things considered.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom