OT: - Masters of the Air | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Masters of the Air

Reaction Score
Hollywood would probably destroy it by turning it into some inane love story and making the Swordfish (England’s torpedo bi-plane look like an F-16 performance wise.

I thought the latest Midway movie had some nice points. But it was too Hollywood in the end.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The Bismarck and Tirpitz were bad enough for the North Atlantic, but good for them that the United States kept the Iowa’s in the Pacific where they were needed. The Iowa’s were much larger and had much more armor and fire power. That being said, even the Iowa’s were outgunned by the big Japanese ships Yamato and Mushashi. The United States Navy not be outdone designed and planned to build the giant Montana class (5 were planned), they were designed specifically to destroy those Japanese ships, however just before the keel of the USS Montana was to be laid down at the Brooklyn Navy Yard, the Battle of Midway demonstrated the importance of aircraft carriers to win the Pacific War, and the Montana’s were cancelled. Actually the keel of the USS Montana became the keel of the USS Enterprise aircraft carrier.
My older brother and I were kind of naval geeks, although his interests were wider and broader than mine as I was pretty much just WWII. But I had Revell models of Bismarck, Tirpitz(15 inch guns) , and the battlecruisers Scharnhorst and Graf Spee (11 inch guns). Also had a model of Yamato (18 inch guns). Those were fun to build, as were US cruisers, like Helena, and destroyers like the Farragut. Aircraft carriers were kinda boring in comparison!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89
Top Bottom