OT: - Masters of the Air | The Boneyard

OT: Masters of the Air

Reaction Score
Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks much ballyhooed $300,000,000 epic series. Supposedly it was to premier on Apple TV+ on Sept 20th, and that has come and gone.

?????

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Like many shows, the release of Masters of the Air has been delayed by the Hollywood writers strike. Until the strike is settled, there is no firm release date.

Reaction Score
Like many shows, the release of Masters of the Air has been delayed by the Hollywood writers strike. Until the strike is settled, there is no firm release date.
Why would they need more writers when it’s already known that production on the series was completed late last year?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Why would they need more writers when it’s already known that production on the series was completed late last year?
That’s the explanation on various showbiz forums. I think the issue is that the Producers, Tom Hanks & Stephen Spielberg, want to support the striking writers, irrespective of the fact that their miniseries is in the can and ready to go. This is happening with multiple programs, including many of the shows that are part of the new fall lineup.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
That’s the explanation on various showbiz forums. I think the issue is that the Producers, Tom Hanks & Stephen Spielberg, want to support the striking writers, irrespective of the fact that their miniseries is in the can and ready to go. This is happening with multiple programs, including many of the shows that are part of the new fall lineup.

Not to mention studios have been staggering projects so if the strike goes on indefinitely, they will have new programming for as long as possible.

That being said, the strike ended last night, so hopefully there's not too much of a gap of new shows now.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A follow up on this thread. With the writers strike now settled, Apple TV has just announced that Masters of the Air will now air beginning on January 26.

Reaction Score
A follow up on this thread. With the writers strike now settled, Apple TV has just announced that Masters of the Air will now air beginning on January 26.
No, that date is for the “Making of Masters of the Air”, the actual series will air January 26, 2028.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
No, that date is for the “Making of Masters of the Air”, the actual series will air January 26, 2028.
? That’s the date I indicated?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Sounds like you’re not very optimistic…

Reaction Score
Sounds like you’re not very optimistic…
Sorry, was just joking. As you said, I’ll believe it when I see it. They were telling us Sept 2023 for the longest time, well before the writers strike. Now January 2024. :eek:

Reaction Score
I'm a member of the 100th Bomb Group Foundation. We have been living and breathing this series for nearly 10 years, it's going be real good. In a stroke of good fortune, they had Austin Butler on board, before Elvis was released and his stardom took off.

Reaction Score
I'm a member of the 100th Bomb Group Foundation. We have been living and breathing this series for nearly 10 years, it's going be real good. In a stroke of good fortune, they had Austin Butler on board, before Elvis was released and his stardom took off.
Do you still fly?

Reaction Score
Do you still fly?
Never did, these days, the foundation is mostly made up of families descended from the actual 100th BG members, as wells as historians and people who are interested in military history, or specifically, military aviation history (like me). We do have several members of the 100th BG that are still with us and come to our reunions. They are all at least 100 years old...it is truly humbling to meet and speak with them, true heroes indeed. It would be real special if any of them could make it to the Masters of the Air premiere...

Reaction Score
Never did, these days, the foundation is mostly made up of families descended from the actual 100th BG members, as wells as historians and people who are interested in military history, or specifically, military aviation history (like me). We do have several members of the 100th BG that are still with us and come to our reunions. They are all at least 100 years old...it is truly humbling to meet and speak with them, true heroes indeed. It would be real special if any of them could make it to the Masters of the Air premiere...
I cannot believe that they scrapped “5 Grand” when it flew back home in 46.

Reaction Score
Masters of the Air premier was in Hollywood last night. Series airs on Apple + starting on Jan 26. We were fortunate to have 4 members of the 100th Bomb Group in attendance. L to R: Hanks, Henry "Hank" Cervantes, John "Lucky" Luckadoo, Bob Wolff, Jim Rasmussen and series producer Gary Goetzmann. THe vets are all 100+...but what a thrill for all of them to see their amazing stories brought to life.

MotA.jpg

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Masters of the Air premier was in Hollywood last night. Series airs on Apple + starting on Jan 26. We were fortunate to have 4 members of the 100th Bomb Group in attendance. L to R: Hanks, Henry "Hank" Cervantes, John "Lucky" Luckadoo, Bob Wolff, Jim Rasmussen and series producer Gary Goetzmann. THe vets are all 100+...but what a thrill for all of them to see their amazing stories brought to life.

View attachment 95018
I hope I look as good as these guys when I’m 100. Hell, I hope to just make it to 70…

Reaction Score

View attachment 95018
They were indeed “the greatest generation”. Maybe I’ll finally get around to reading Brokaw’s book.

Reaction Score
They were indeed “the greatest generation”. Maybe I’ll finally get around to reading Brokaw’s book.
Masters of the Air is the book this series is based on...it is a terrific read as well. Author Donald Miller was at the premier as well, can't imagine what a thrill it must be for him to see his words come to life.

Reaction Score
Saw the first screening of episode 1 last night in NYC, it was incredible. Panel discussion and Q&A with some of the cast afterwards was very well done too. Buckle up for the ride, going to be good...starts streaming tomorrow on Apple TV+

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Quite liked episodes 1-2. Every time I am exposed to what these people did I come away awed and amazed. Felt the same visiting the American cemetery in Normandy. I have a hard time imagining modern men putting themselves in harms way to quite this degree.

Reaction Score
Quite liked episodes 1-2. Every time I am exposed to what these people did I come away awed and amazed. Felt the same visiting the American cemetery in Normandy. I have a hard time imagining modern men putting themselves in harms way to quite this degree.
That’s one of the reasons why they were called the greatest generation. What’s sobering to me is that “these people” were young kids 18, 19, 20 years old, and a Commander was around 24 or 25.

Reaction Score

I agree. But it's our fault we created such selfish people.

Reaction Score
I like what I have seen so far. The combat and flight sequences are melt your face off good. So good job @HuskyDevil.

It's really a history worth telling. Our bomber forces were critical in ending the war sooner in Europe. If you combine the losses between the European and Pacific theaters the bomber groups took more casualties than the Marines. They took something like over 26,000 casualties.

Daytime Precision Bombing was as a tactic was probably effective but for the men who executed it, it was the definition of insanity. It even spawned the great book Catch-22 by Joseph Heller and a good movie to go with it. I haven't seen the TV show on Hulu yet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom