Martin confirms that he hasn't done s*$# | The Boneyard

Martin confirms that he hasn't done s*$#

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
in the 5 and a half years since A Dance With Dragons was released. Not only has he missed his 12/31 deadline, but he acknowledges that he has a long way to go.

http://news.yahoo.com/george-r-r-martin-confirms-game-thrones-season-214538019.html?nf=1

I put the likelihood of him ever finishing the series around 33%, and if he does, the last book is going to be an utter POS. Given that his biggest writing credit prior to A Song of Ice and Fire was TV's Beauty and the Beast, we should be more surprised that he got 4 good books out of 5 written in the first place.

Reaction Score
I came over here to post this news and laugh at Fatso's faux tears and claims that he tried to meet the deadline. He focused so hard on finishing the series in a timely manner he has barely had time to produce an HBO series and publish two separate companion books in the last year alone. Just a compilation of short prequels set in the GOT world and an encyclopedia of the GOT's history, both with $30 price tags for the hardcovers. Oh, and let's not mention that he was the executive editor of another compilation of short stories written by other authors published in an anthology last year. The man is focused like a laserbeam! Focused on screwing his fan base out of as much cash as possible by stringing them along while he gorges his fat self to death.

Suckers!!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
in the 5 and a half years since A Dance With Dragons was released. Not only has he missed his 12/31 deadline, but he acknowledges that he has a long way to go.

http://news.yahoo.com/george-r-r-martin-confirms-game-thrones-season-214538019.html?nf=1

I put the likelihood of him ever finishing the series around 33%, and if he does, the last book is going to be an utter POS. Given that his biggest writing credit prior to A Song of Ice and Fire was TV's Beauty and the Beast, we should be more surprised that he got 4 good books out of 5 written in the first place.

What a disaster.

Reaction Score
What a disaster.

Think about how his earliest readers feel. I have sitting on my bookshelf the first print of the first edition of Clash of Kings. It was published in 1996. I graduated high school and started attending UConn that year. I am 37 years old now, and the guy is talking about how he tried to finish the series in a timely manner. . . . . .

Reaction Score
Think about how his earliest readers feel. I have sitting on my bookshelf the first print of the first edition of Clash of Kings. It was published in 1996. I graduated high school and started attending UConn that year. I am 37 years old now, and the guy is talking about how he tried to finish the series in a timely manner. . . . . .

I'm all read-up on the series. I really had to force myself through the last book, so I'm not especially hot-to-trot for the new volumes, however I will read them (if they are ever done) just to say I read the series. I think the entire series has become a disaster, both the books and the television series. Maybe it's just me.

Reaction Score
I'm all read-up on the series. I really had to force myself through the last book, so I'm not especially hot-to-trot for the new volumes, however I will read them (if they are ever done) just to say I read the series. I think the entire series has become a disaster, both the books and the television series. Maybe it's just me.

I like what HBO has done with the thing compared to Martin's last 2 books. Now that they have even more freedom, we can expect even better things. Despite all my bitterness, lapping Martin is a good thing. It's like removing Star Wars from Lucas's control . . . .

Reaction Score

I would say that the marketplace agrees that it's just you.

Reaction Score
I would say that the marketplace agrees that it's just you.

Martin's last 2 books were a disaster. That people paid for them and read them is a testament to the goodwill his series earned through books 1-3. I mean, the last few James Bond movies have been disastrous, but I still intend to watch the newest one because a few lemons isn't enough to destroy love for a brand earned over the course of 50 years.

Reaction Score
Martin's last 2 books were a disaster. That people paid for them and read them is a testament to the goodwill his series earned through books 1-3. I mean, the last few James Bond movies have been disastrous, but I still intend to watch the newest one because a few lemons isn't enough to destroy love for a brand earned over the course of 50 years.

A Feast for Crows was an absolute slog to get through, and honestly a Dance With Dragons was only marginally better.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
AFFC was rough, but I thought A Dance With Dragons was excellent.

Reaction Score
AFFC was rough, but I thought A Dance With Dragons was excellent.

I think a big part of my problem is that I was so turned-off with AFFC that I went into DWD with a bad attitude and was never able to snap out of it.

Reaction Score
My opinion was that Feast for Crows was so bad that ADWD seemed better than it was in comparison.

I think both of our experiences point to the fact that the Big Man is burning through his fan's good will at a quick clip.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
My opinion was that Feast for Crows was so bad that ADWD seemed better than it was in comparison.

My favorite chapter in the whole book series is in ADWD, when Quinten Martell tries to take something that isn't his. I am really surprised they didn't do something like that in the show.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Neil Gaiman says that "George R.R. Martin is not your bitch."

Reaction Score
Guild member defends member of the guild.

we are the patrons of his art, so yeah, he is our bitch.

Reaction Score
No respect for artists or the creative process, I see.

I love art as much as the next guy, but let's face it, the guy isn't Shakespeare or Hemmingway, he's a commerical artist.

Reaction Score
No respect for artists or the creative process, I see.

Lol. Imagine all the great masterpieces that wouldn't have been created but for patrons and publishers who were able to demand performance. Charles Dickens must have wanted some time off, for the creative process, during the serialization of his entire career. But he performed his craft instead. You rue the months he didn't take time off instead of writing A Tale of Two Cities because of all that respect for the creative process? Very cultured of you. Writers can't possibly be fat venal slobs who take advantage of customers. That's limited to car salesman. Nope. Everything a writer does is absolutely part of the necessary arteestic process.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Zero surprise. Zero.

I think the conclusion of the TV series will actually slow him down, given he won't be as pressed to finish.

Huge bummer.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I came over here to post this news and laugh at Fatso's faux tears and claims that he tried to meet the deadline. He focused so hard on finishing the series in a timely manner he has barely had time to produce an HBO series and publish two separate companion books in the last year alone. Just a compilation of short prequels set in the GOT world and an encyclopedia of the GOT's history, both with $30 price tags for the hardcovers. Oh, and let's not mention that he was the executive editor of another compilation of short stories written by other authors published in an anthology last year. The man is focused like a laserbeam! Focused on screwing his fan base out of as much cash as possible by stringing them along while he gorges his fat self to death.

Plus, he's showed up at every goshdarn convention on the circuit for the last 5 years.

Stop watching the (sucking) Jets and pick up your pen!

intlzncster

Reaction Score

How many pieces of cake you think he's eaten since then? 2,000? 3,000?

Also, he must have spent an enormous amount of time sitting on the crapper. His Iron Throne.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom