Marquette Post Game Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Refs let defenders get away with a ton of contact against Clingan due to his size. Whenever he's facing up to the basket and going into a shot attempt defenders hack the hell out of his arms and get away with body contact too.
Will be nice to get real refs in NCAA tournament

Reaction Score
Lots of learning can (and will) come from everything we witnessed during the final 7 minutes, after Cam's restraint in NOT throwing his fist after 'sealing the win' on that 2x-speed 3-ball resulted in the T that UConn MBB nonetheless added as video to complement the leading by-the-numbers Instagram that touted his unprecedented 3-1 A-to-TO ratio on top of the current 50-40-90 in progress.

Bonus: there will be a workshop opportunity to apply the lessons on Saturday night, in a hostile environment, against another 'desperate' team.

But first, a note of admiration for Marquette's use of hands and arms and bodies to draw 13 fouls on Castle, Diarra, Karaban, Newton, and Spencer, while limiting that same quintet to 4-4 from the line. Until those tense closing minutes, nobody on Marquette had more than 2 fouls called on them. Very impressive.

If not mentioned already,
KenPom Defense now at 14
It seemed like once Oso picked up his early second foul refs let him do what he wanted knowing they weren’t going to let him foul out and it showed by how aggressive he was for a guy with 2 early fouls

Reaction Score
He was lucky not to get trapped at the midcourt line. He needs to be better
You can’t whore for fouls to close out a game. He was trying to bait them into fouling instead of moving away from trap corners, keeping the ball moving and players moving. They should have stayed in their offense. Just some really dumb crap over the final 4.

Reaction Score
Re: Cam's T, as Hurley intimated in the huddle, on the road use your fire to get your teammates burnin', not the crowd or opponent.

Alex just a savant out there, what a performance!

DC a monster. Ighodaro has a nice touch on that fadeaway. Props to him the way he brought it to DC (those are not fouls ) and props to DC for an incredible night cleaning the glass. The Janitor!

As for the stall, sit back and consider D1 coaches are probably a bit smarter at this stuff than us. They know the analytics of when to start it based on the lead. The object is to win, not win by 20. If we just run our stuff and miss a shot it gives the opponent more time and a life line. This is separate from the last minute, when fouling becomes a tactic and it becomes a game of keep away, not a stall. Confident TNewt will clean it up and at tourney time we can put 5 pretty good FT shooters and ball handlers on the floor at the end, subbing Hass for DC.

Reaction Score
Any BE road W is huge-esp. vs a Top 10 opponent. Was curious to see how we'd do with Castle/Newton on the bench in foul trouble in second half. Hass was solid until DH could get them back on floor.

I'm sure film session of this game will help resolve breaking a trapping press for future games. Brian O tried to keep Marquette in the game. Whenever I see his name as part of the crew-It tends to be a challenging game for us.Nuff said.

Let's move on and get a W at Providence.

Reaction Score
Cam's three moved us from 67 to 70 points. Marquette ended the game with 67 points. Somehow Cam knew the future and that is why he celebrated and berated and got the T.

Once again Stewart comes in and jacks up a three on his first offensive possession. Clank. I can only remember once when that first one went it (Xavier?). He is shooting 21% from three. What is he thinking? He needs to get in the flow of the game before missing his first three.

Reaction Score
He can keep the emotion, just don't direct it towards anyone and he'll be fine. Minor adjustment.
I agree. Cam showing a little extra emotion sure beats the days of going down 18 immediately in road games like this and cutting it to 10 being considered showing a lot of fight. I’m glad we snapped the road loss streak as that was becoming more and more of a talking point.

Most of those more recent losses were competitive but a lot were painful.

These are good times to be a Husky fan.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Cam's three moved us from 67 to 70 points. Marquette ended the game with 67 points. Somehow Cam knew the future and that is why he celebrated and berated and got the T.

Once again Stewart comes in and jacks up a three on his first offensive possession. Clank. I can only remember once when that first one went it (Xavier?). He is shooting 21% from three. What is he thinking? He needs to get in the flow of the game before missing his first three.
I would wager that the coaching staff instructed him to take the shot if he's open and if greater importance made it clear to him that he should never be afraid to take the shot if he is open.

Reaction Score
We also busted the “never winning close games” label this year as well.
Easy there tiger. We made this game a lot more interesting than it had to be. For my life, I do not understand why we stopped playing with five minutes to go. We’re controlling tempo, shooting over 50% from the field, and then we stopped playing. And this is not the first time that that happened this year. This team does not know how to close out games. We have to hope that we beat everybody by more than 10 points. And of course that’s very doable. .

Reaction Score
Hurley late strategy was based on their low foul total knowing they had to foul us. Newt held the ball and waited because as long as the refs saw him being mauled he would eventually go to the line. Problem though. The refs let them hack away without calls. I’ve seen bad reffing but it was 9-5 very late and that was crazy but it got worse. Clingan was being hammered all game. And I know the refs early were letting a lot go both ways but that was nuts later on.

Reaction Score

Maybe he just needs to cut to the basket more, and let Newton, Diarra, Spencer, whoever, find him.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Cam showing a little extra emotion sure beats the days of going down 18 immediately in road games like this and cutting it to 10 being considered showing a lot of fight.

I had 99.99% purged those memories from my brain.

Reaction Score
Cam was my hero last night. Every time the crowd would get involved, he’d make a shot. He’s an incredible offensive player who lives for the moment. Let him have some fun.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I agree. Cam showing a little extra emotion sure beats the days of going down 18 immediately in road games like this and cutting it to 10 being considered showing a lot of fight. I’m glad we snapped the road loss streak as that was becoming more and more of a talking point.

Most of those more recent losses were competitive but a lot were painful.

These are good times to be a Husky fan.
Too quote a famous book over the last five years as a UConn fan “these have been the best of times and worst of times” for all of us that bleed Husky blue. Starting last February 2023 to March 2024 we have been better over that year long period covering two seasons than we have ever been. All due respect to the GOAT Calhoun. I was not happy that we let Marquette get close at the end of the game but that was as much about their culture than it was about us. Like when deep see fishing when you get that wild creature near the boat and they know they are about to be food they find every bit of energy to make that final run. Just like our coach said before the game you under estimate desperation you will lose. I am a bit worried about Saturday because I think even if we lose all we have to do is win one game in the BE tourney we are a one seed. PC and Devon and that big guy they have will be playing for their tournament life. On the other hand if we win out through BE tourney we will be the number one/one seed. Saying that I think we will really see how great a coach Danny is over the next 10 days.

Reaction Score
Pee Cee was just in a tintanic battle with their arch rival Georgetown. I suspect it might have taken something out of them. Besides they play us between Georgetown and the first game of the BET, it's a trap game for the Friars.

Reaction Score

The fact that Stewart keeps shooting those shots should tell you it's what Hurley wants him doing when he's in the game. None of those shots are forced, he's open and needs to take them.

He's on the court as a scoring option off the bench, that's what we all expected when he got here. Though his defense is much better than I expected

Reaction Score
Too quote a famous book over the last five years as a UConn fan “these have been the best of times and worst of times” for all of us that bleed Husky blue. Starting last February 2023 to March 2024 we have been better over that year long period covering two seasons than we have ever been. All due respect to the GOAT Calhoun. I was not happy that we let Marquette get close at the end of the game but that was as much about their culture than it was about us. Like when deep see fishing when you get that wild creature near the boat and they know they are about to be food they find every bit of energy to make that final run. Just like our coach said before the game you under estimate desperation you will lose. I am a bit worried about Saturday because I think even if we lose all we have to do is win one game in the BE tourney we are a one seed. PC and Devon and that big guy they have will be playing for their tournament life. On the other hand if we win out through BE tourney we will be the number one/one seed. Saying that I think we will really see how great a coach Danny is over the next 10 days.
Pee Cee was just in a tintanic battle with their arch rival Georgetown. I suspect it might have taken something out of them. Besides they play us between Georgetown and the first game of the BET, it's a trap game for the Friar

Reaction Score
The fact that Stewart keeps shooting those shots should tell you it's what Hurley wants him doing when he's in the game. None of those shots are forced, he's open and needs to take them
I heard that theory. There's a difference between Hurley giving him a little rope and wanting him to jack up early threes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom