Marquette Post Game Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
On the last few minute offense.

We kept running good stuff and didn't go into pure prevent until there was 1:30 left up 7 with the ball, an appropriate moment. Cam Spencer missed a completely wide open 3 with 2:00 left that was a result of good offense taking advantage of them being over aggressive on the ball.

Marquette had 4 fouls with 1:20 left. I think it's very likely that Hurley told guys to be strong with the ball and to expect them to foul, because they had to give 2 fouls to get us to the bonus. Diarra gave a bad turnover away in a bit of a scramble, and then the refs just refused to call them for obvious reach-in fouls in obvious intentional foul moments. I don't blame Newton for going into a shell and letting himself get doubled on that one he turned it over. Down 5 with 40 sec left and the offense in 1 and 1 every team in the world is fouling.
Agreed, I lost my like button so I figured I would type a like

Reaction Score
Great win despite the struggles in the last 5 mins... SJ basically a no show again. Stall ball sux

Reaction Score
Screw it good win. Some shabby play down the stretch but even worst job by the stripes all 2nd half. The way they were hacking away and playing more “violent” and somehow they only had 4 fouls with a minute and a half left is an absolute joke. It’s a W no matter, on to PeeCee!!

And don’t expect much less there :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
One of my biggest positives from this game was another game where Clingan stayed out of foul trouble. He has been monumentally better at staying vertical and not biting on fakes and has gone almost a month (2/14) since getting into real foul trouble. With the drop-off behind him, his improvement here is a big help to our title chances.

Reaction Score
One of my biggest positives from this game was another game where Clingan stayed out of foul trouble. He has been monumentally better at staying vertical and not biting on fakes. It has been almost a month (2/14) since Clingan got into real foul trouble. With the drop-off behind him, his improvement here is a big help to our title chances.
and his hitting his free throws at a higher clip

Reaction Score
Went to the clock killing offensive slow down with 3:55 remaining which didn’t go well. The team seems to struggle doing this. I wish they would keep running the offensive sets and look for the open/best shot instead.

I could not agree more. Playing to not lose rather than playing to win is a recipe for disaster and for my wife to cover her ears.

Reaction Score
Is it me or these networks only list and speak to negative UConn stats?
We have not beaten a ranked team on the road since 2014. Not understanding how going to Seattle to beat Gonzaga is not considered a road game.
They never list any negatives about our opponents. When was the last time Marquette won a national title?
Just us.

Reaction Score
Not the prettiest game at the end. Turning point was Cam yapping. After that they went on a 11-2 run. Though we closed it out. Newton look shaky with the ball which is weird. He was trying to run the clock out instead of running plays. 13-26 and seeing both Karban and Cam playing well at the same time was great to see. Castle can play some great D. Wow. Johnson is just 5 fouls at this point. He can't even handle passes anymore. LOL!

Reaction Score
I have to say I really like how Stewart is coming along defensively. He's not perfect but he brings some nice athleticism to the four spot. Offensively he is running the right plays pretty consistently too.
But still cannot dial his shots in

Reaction Score
Another ghost buried.

Road win against ranked team.

35 minutes of mostly solid ball and then a brutal last 4 minutes. Tristen was just letting Marquette double team and trap him. Needs to be fixed.

Alex picks the perfect game to find his stroke.

Cam was lights out. Welcome back to the 50/40/90 club.

Diarra was real good but missed a few at the rim.

I liked Stewie's aggression shooting and his block was a "highlight. He has jumps. Two O rebounds in one possession on first half.

Might be fewest fouls on a game all season for DC.

I don't mind when Ighodaro dribbles and hits defender on the chest with his shoulder, but he gets away with a bunch using his arm to push off and clear space.
And you forget that Castle was a monster on D. Totally was interrupting whatever Marquette wanted to do on offense until he got 4 fouls.

Reaction Score
We have not beaten a ranked team on the road since 2014. Not understanding how going to Seattle to beat Gonzaga is not considered a road game.
They never list any negatives about our opponents. When was the last time Marquette won a national title?
Just us.
I didn't take that list of things tonight as a jab at UConn, but more of a "Hey, this is one of the few demons left that Danny and the guys have left to exercise and are very capable of doing.

Reaction Score
Not the prettiest game at the end. Turning point was Cam yapping. After that they went on a 11-2 run. Though we closed it out. Newton look shaky with the ball which is weird. He was trying to run the clock out instead of running plays. 13-26 and seeing both Karban and Cam playing well at the same time was great to see. Castle can play some great D. Wow. Johnson is just 5 fouls at this point. He can't even handle passes anymore. LOL!
The only pass he could ever handle was, and is, a lob for a dunk. He knows not how to block out and/or rebound, and only knows how to foul. Only a big space filler when DC is out. His similar stats from game to game tell the story.

Reaction Score
No reason to rest on your laurels against PC, go to Providence and take care of business there too.

Nice win in a tough environment. Games on the road in the conference are always rock fights.
Rock fight at the Dunk.

Reaction Score
Yeah UConn’s record this year is a disaster in close games.
Just because they won or are 27-3, why do you have to criticize every fan that points out something critical about how they played? They're a great team that we all love, but their not infallible. Great teams often need to improve and fix things. Opponents look for vulnerabilities, and Hurley's proven to be the type of coach that admits what they didn't do well and works to fix it.

It's going to be so boring here if all we say all smells like roses. I guess that's what you want.

Reaction Score
Sans the last 5 minutes, they were warriors tonight, fighting back every run that Marquette hit them with.

Even with so many none calls, they kept on playing with energy and toughness in a hostile building. I couldn't be prouder!

Reaction Score
Thank you!!!! I didnt mention it in my previous post because i didnt want to get flamed for whining about the refs but it was ridiculous!!! He got fouled at least 3 times that were clear as day!!! I was yelling at my tv "thats a foul!!! thats a F%@%% foul!!!!"
Marquette got away with so many obvious fouls. Granted the refs held the whistle on some of our contact, but Marquette kept banging and hacking knowing they'd get away with it.

I like when the refs let them play, but tonight was ridiculous at times where obvious contact impacting shots were simply overlooked.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
AND, the #1 team in the country has major injury problems. This season is looking up. Not much to complain about right now.

Reaction Score
Hey folks, we clinched BE reg season on Sunday, Hurley went to Ted’s, , hard travel to OshKosh by gosh, we played really well today, and won. what more do we want?
Better free-throw shooting. (half-kidding)

Reaction Score
Just us.
1977 the Great Al McGuire was the coach. It was a very good team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom