OT: - Marquette incoming transfer D.J. Carton immediately eligible | The Boneyard

OT: Marquette incoming transfer D.J. Carton immediately eligible

Reaction Score
NCAA grants him a waiver. Does anyone know why? The NCAA seems so haphazard in their granting of waivers. Shouldn't they be more transparent with their reasons for granting or not granting waivers?

its not complicated. If he goes to Uconn he does not get a waiver. If he goes to any power 5 he gets his waiver Granted.

Reaction Score
When he originally took a step away from Ohio State he cited mental health as to why he left. A week or two ago on Instagram he implied that they didn't have room for him. Here's a link to another forum with some discussion about it:

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
When he originally took a step away from Ohio State he cited mental health as to why he left. A week or two ago on Instagram he implied that they didn't have room for him. Here's a link to another forum with some discussion about it:

Didn’t another transfer pull that ‘there’s no room to go back’ move last year?

Reaction Score
The NCAA has been actually pretty predictable in that if your previous school supports your transfer (and gives any sort of justification) they will grant the waiver.
""We 100 percent support D.J. in this decision and we genuinely wish him all the best moving forward," Ohio State head coach Chris Holtmann said in a statement. "We appreciate all he contributed to our program. We will assist him in any way we can."

Unfortunately Sid's transfer was acrimonious which is why he didn't get a waiver, and RJ wanted to sit out. I don't know about Martin's situation. I'm sure Rhody isn't super pleased about Hurley poaching, but I'd also bet Hurley talked to Cox before taking him, so maybe they will support it.

Any word on that @NJHoops?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
The NCAA has been actually pretty predictable in that if your previous school supports your transfer (and gives any sort of justification) they will grant the waiver.

Unfortunately Sid's transfer was acrimonious which is why he didn't get a waiver, and RJ wanted to sit out. I don't know about Martin's situation. I'm sure Rhody isn't super pleased about Hurley poaching, but I'd also bet Hurley talked to Cox before taking him, so maybe they will support it.

Any word on that @NJHoops?
That is even more obnoxious then. Hurt feelings can cost you a year?

Reaction Score
That is even more obnoxious then. Hurt feelings can cost you a year?

The rule is the rule. It's designed to curb transferring, but in situations where the original school has no issue with the transfer, then there's no reason to curb it.

The exception is not the rule. A more accurate phrasing would be "good feelings can save you a year".

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The rule is the rule. It's designed to curb transferring, but in situations where the original school has no issue with the transfer, then there's no reason to curb it.

The exception is not the rule. A more accurate phrasing would be "good feelings can save you a year".

Doesn't seem that cut and dry to me. There's tons of kids who are pushed out of programs, where the program wants someone better. The original program would be happy to 'approve' the transfer or whatever to get rid of the kid. But most of the time, these kids don't get waivers

Reaction Score
This is a big improvement for Marquette. A top HS guard with a year of experience and a solid freshman performance.

Reaction Score
Thought Marquette was in the Big East
Give some us a few more months or at least until the start of BE play. Not sure if I can name all the teams, but I'm not young.

Reaction Score
its not complicated. If he goes to Uconn he does not get a waiver. If he goes to any power 5 he gets his waiver Granted.
I couldn't help but laugh when I thought the same thing earlier this morning. It's like we are the only school, mens or womens, any sport....

Reaction Score
He only played in 19 games and left halfway through the year due to mental health issues. Between that, not going to UConn, and citing there wasn't enough room to return, he was granted the waiver.

Reaction Score
He only played in 19 games and left halfway through the year due to mental health issues. Between that, not going to UConn, and citing there wasn't enough room to return, he was granted the waiver.
Yeah but I don't understand any of those arguments.

1). So his mental health issues will be solved at a new school? Why?

2). There wasn't enough room to return because he left already so the coach filled his scholarship. But he had no intentions to go back to OSU so why is that relevant? So if he didn't get the waiver from the NCAA there was a chance he was going back to OSU?

So as you can see none of those reasons are why the NCAA should have granted a waiver. So why did the NCAA grant it? Shouldn't they be more transparent with their reasons so others involved in college athletics know why it's appropriate to ask for a waiver or not? The way the system is now leaves everyone in the dark and there's no consistency to granting waivers.

Reaction Score
1). So his mental health issues will be solved at a new school? Why?
I agree with the rest but this part is absolutely possible. I don't know enough about what specific issues he was having to say whether he'll be in a better spot mentally at Marquette, but it's definitely something that can happen

Reaction Score
Let's see if Martin is dressing this coming year? (If they ask for a waiver)

Then we can begin to figure it all out.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
So your prior school holds the cards whether the NCAA grants a waiver or not? That sounds like a really crappy system.
Welcome to the world of the NCAA
It may not have anything to do with the NCAA but I also saw yesterday that Zion now doesn't have to testify/appear to talk about the "possibility" of he/his family receiving monetary gifts from Dook
Life just ain't fair at times

Reaction Score
If it's due to his mental health history, then there's no reason to whine over this waiver. Plus, this makes our schedule even tougher, which I love.

This is a huge move for Marquette. Prior to the waiver, McEwen would have started at point and Torrence or Elliot would likely be the other backcourt starter.

Now with Carton starting, McEwen can play more off-ball and they now have Elliot and Torrence as backcourt depth. Also gives them more of a chance to play smaller, if needed. Lots of uncertainty in Marquette, but lots of creative ways you can build a lineup.

pj

Reaction Score
If it's due to his mental health history, then there's no reason to whine over this waiver.

If you get waivers due to a mental health history, a lot more transferring players are going to have mental health histories.

Reaction Score
I agree with the rest but this part is absolutely possible. I don't know enough about what specific issues he was having to say whether he'll be in a better spot mentally at Marquette, but it's definitely something that can happen
Can, not will.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
If you get waivers due to a mental health history, a lot more transferring players are going to have mental health histories.
That's good because they were running out of sick grandmas.

Reaction Score

"Last time I'm sayin sum bout this...but they ain't "have room for me". I had no intentions of leaving...still love ohio and my boys gon get shi done"

Maybe Marquette has a better English department. :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom