Mark Sears | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mark Sears

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I worried more about Shannon and Domask then Sears. Let him keep shooting from 35 feet.

Shannon was averaging 30 ppg in the postseason and Castle completely neutralized him

Reaction Score
I don't really have any bad feelings towards any of the teams left. UCONN doesnt have serious history with any of them. All well coached, all good kids.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Shannon was averaging 30 ppg in the postseason and Castle Clingan completely neutralized him
FIFY.

Clingan took away virtually everything he wanted to do at the rim.

Reaction Score
Diarra quicker than Castle? He might be the one to paint himself on Sears.

Reaction Score
If we stay out of foul trouble, I feel good about the Sears matchup. He’s somewhere in between Boo Buie and Terrence Shannon Jr and Castle completely ate both alive, with Diarra making sure they get no relief, and Clingan wiping away any mistakes at the rim

If we lose because he beats us with 28+ footers or tough midrange jumpers, so be it

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't really have any bad feelings towards any of the teams left. UCONN doesnt have serious history with any of them. All well coached, all good kids.
Never met a Purdue fan, eh?

Reaction Score
Diarra quicker than Castle? He might be the one to paint himself on Sears.
Diarra, Newton and Castle are all great options to defend him, but just my opinion would lean toward Diarra as the best 'guard' or perimeter defender on the team. Castle has more versatility to guard wings and switch on bigs but Diarra has a certain edge to him. He is really an impact defender

Reaction Score
FIFY.

Clingan took away virtually everything he wanted to do at the rim.
There’s truth to both. The first time Shannon got the ball, he went right at Castle in an iso. Castle shut off his first move, shut off his counter, and then shut off his last resort leaner. Shannon clanged the backboard with his shot. Didn’t really try to isolate him again - he tried to slash when he got a little space off screens - but then Clingan was waiting.

The only basket he made when he was 1-11 was when he attacked in transition in the first half - both Newton and Spencer were back and there really wasn’t room, but neither shut off the dribble. It seemed like both of them thought the other would stop the ball, and Shannon split the seam.

Reaction Score
Honestly could see a combo of Diarra and Castle on Sear's. Force him into bad shots, and just completely tire him out( Alabama fans are so confident that their conditioning is way better than UConn as evidenced by their tempo.)

Reaction Score
Diarra, Newton and Castle are all great options to defend him, but just my opinion would lean toward Diarra as the best 'guard' or perimeter defender on the team. Castle has more versatility to guard wings and switch on bigs but Diarra has a certain edge to him. He is really an impact defender
That is the beauty of UConn's depth. Sears will play 35-40 minutes. UConn can have Castle on him for 20-25 minutes, Diarra on him for 15-20 minutes, and Newton for as many as necessary. UConn will hopefully wear him down with depth.

Reaction Score
Honestly could see a combo of Diarra and Castle on Sear's. Force him into bad shots, and just completely tire him out( Alabama fans are so confident that their conditioning is way better than UConn as evidenced by their tempo.)
I think you will see Diarra and Castle on him for sure and a few minutes with Newton.

Reaction Score
There’s truth to both. The first time Shannon got the ball, he went right at Castle in an iso. Castle shut off his first move, shut off his counter, and then shut off his last resort leaner. Shannon clanged the backboard with his shot. Didn’t really try to isolate him again - he tried to slash when he got a little space off screens - but then Clingan was waiting.

The only basket he made when he was 1-11 was when he attacked in transition in the first half - both Newton and Spencer were back and there really wasn’t room, but neither shut off the dribble. It seemed like both of them thought the other would stop the ball, and Shannon split the seam.
Agreed. Both of them combined to shut him down.

Reaction Score
I don't get the fear of Sears. Is he really any better than Buie or Shannon Jr? UConn erased both of them with ease. IMO, making sure none of their secondary scorers catches fire will be much more important than what Sears does, assuming he's not making logo 3's left and right.

Reaction Score
Never met a Purdue fan, eh?
Actually I've been deep, deep in purdue country for a long time. 3/4 of my wife's extended family (12 people, uncles cousins, spouses) went to purdue and they all live in Indiana, and we are there 10 times a year. They fly purdue flags outside their homes.i would wear uconn gear and there wasn't a peep. They didn't have a thing to say about us till last year and mainly because we were both battling for the top spot and even then it was congenial. They dislike us as much as anybody dislikes the repeating champs right now.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom