Mahaney Visiting UConn this weekend | The Boneyard

Mahaney Visiting UConn this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
According to the Courant, Jeff Goodman reported on Tuesday night that Mahaney will be visiting UConn this weekend.
Already visited Creighton, now at Virginia and will visit both UConn and Kentucky this weekend. Whirlwind tour that's not our normal type visit it seems.

Quote from the article: "Head coach Dan Hurley warned that the guard “would eat you alive” if ball-screen defense wasn’t “1,000% on point” a day before meeting Saint Mary’s in the second round of last year’s NCAA Tournament in Albany, a 70-55 win. Mahaney finished the game with nine points – tied for the team-high – on 4-for-13 shooting, 1 of 5 from the field."
Saint Mary’s transfer Aidan Mahaney visited Creighton and is scheduled to visit both Kentucky and UConn this weekend, source told @TheFieldOf68.
Those are a trio of high-level offensive coaches.
Mahaney is also currently at Virginia.

— Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanHoops) April 24, 2024

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Continuing to try to show some good will over here: the Mahaney visit is Thursday/Friday this week.
That makes more sense than the weekend if he's also going to Kentucky. Does Goodman get things wrong or was this a change to his schedule?

Reaction Score
That makes more sense than the weekend if he's also going to Kentucky. Does Goodman get things wrong or was this a change to his schedule?
In the scheme of things Thursday Friday is not much different than the weekend.

Reaction Score
God is a UConn fan...
Screenshot_20240424-140401~2.jpg

Reaction Score
The timing of the Mahaney, Brea, and McNeeley visits aren't coincidental. We're getting them in before the 5/1 deadline so anyone who chooses to transfer has a fair opportunity to. That's a respectful thing to do.

That being said, I think everyone should stay and we run it back with our bench guys absolutely lighting up the field next March.

Reaction Score
The timing of the Mahaney, Brea, and McNeeley visits aren't coincidental. We're getting them in before the 5/1 deadline so anyone who chooses to transfer has a fair opportunity to. That's a respectful thing to do.

That being said, I think everyone should stay and we run it back with our bench guys absolutely lighting up the field next March.
Thought the same thing. What a monumental haul this would be for the staff if they got all 3 guys who visit to commit, as well as getting Diarra back. Then we’d just wait for what Alex decides. If we’re at that place by the May 1 deadline, what an awesome start to the off-season thatd be.

Reaction Score
Thought the same thing. What a monumental haul this would be for the staff if they got all 3 guys who visit to commit, as well as getting Diarra back. Then we’d just wait for what Alex decides. If we’re at that place by the May 1 deadline, what an awesome start to the off-season thatd be.

My gut says it's one of Brea or Mahaney, not both. That would be A LOT of wings on the roster.

This will probably be the only time I ever say I'd prefer someone over a 49% 3pt shooter, but I see a lot of Cam in Mahaney and I want that on the roster. Brea feels a bit redundant if the McNeeley rumors are true, and he's likely asking for a BAG of NIL considering his list.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

The actual phrase is "does Goodman get things right?" He's a hack caught behind in the fast moving information of social media, piggy backing off of others information.

Goodman does have longstanding relationships with older coaches, so he can get an interview or two from time to time, but Goodman is painfully unprepared and unplugged from transfer portal stuff, he is playing catchup.

Reaction Score
My gut says it's one of Brea or Mahaney, not both. That would be A LOT of wings on the roster.

This will probably be the only time I ever say I'd prefer someone over a 49% 3pt shooter, but I see a lot of Cam in Mahaney and I want that on the roster. Brea feels a bit redundant if the McNeeley rumors are true, and he's likely asking for a BAG of NIL considering his list.
Does Brea even have other visits lined up? Seems like we have less competition for him assuming Kansas is out.

Reaction Score

This will probably be the only time I ever say I'd prefer someone over a 49% 3pt shooter, but I see a lot of Cam in Mahaney and I want that on the roster.
Agreed. Unless they don’t think Hassan is coming back but that may change their equation anyway. I’m sure if they walk away with a McNeely & a commit of Brea or Mahaney, they’d be pretty darn happy with that. I’d lean Mahaney as well over Brea. Obviously I want the shooting but the additional ballhandling, passing, things Mahaney can bring is such a benefit to the offense.

Reaction Score
Does Brea even have other visits lined up? Seems like we have less competition for him assuming Kansas is out.
He's supposedly going to visit Kentucky and I think they're a real threat here. The rumors on Twitter are they're offering a huge bag (which we could match if we wanted) and a starting spot (which I'm not sure we can match)

Reaction Score
Agreed. Unless they don’t think Hassan is coming back but that may change their equation anyway. I’m sure if they walk away with a McNeely & a commit of Brea or Mahaney, they’d be pretty darn happy with that. I’d lean Mahaney as well over Brea. Obviously I want the shooting but the additional ballhandling, passing, things Mahaney can bring is such a benefit to the offense.
If both commit along with McNeeley I feel like that's a signal that Karaban is staying in the draft

Reaction Score
If both commit along with McNeeley I feel like that's a signal that Karaban is staying in the draft
Yeah definitely could be. Although I’m not even sure anyone knows yet what Alex will do including himself. A lot will ride on the feedback he gets and how the workouts go. Hes at that weird fringe range where a strong argument can be made that he should go to the league or come back. I’m guessing they’re taking that approach right now and keeping that scholarship open to wait for him to decide.

Reaction Score
Yeah definitely could be. Although I’m not even sure anyone knows yet what Alex will do including himself. A lot will ride on the feedback he gets and how the workouts go. Hes at that weird fringe range where a strong argument can be made that he should go to the league or come back. I’m guessing they’re taking that approach right now and keeping that scholarship open to wait for him to decide.
Yeah I agree, which might mean it makes more sense to replace him with someone like Kasean Pryor who's also going through the process if Karaban leaves. Unless one of these guys is willing to wait on a decision until mid May, but I doubt it

Reaction Score
Yeah I agree, which might mean it makes more sense to replace him with someone like Kasean Pryor who's also going through the process if Karaban leaves. Unless one of these guys is willing to wait on a decision until mid May, but I doubt it
I think their hope right now is basically a McNeely commit & then 2/3 of Diarra, Mahaney, Brea. If they get that here in the next week, they get to 11 guys on the roster and then await the Alex decision. I’m sure they have a contingency plan if he doesn’t return, but most of the work would be done. Will be interesting to see if they bank another scholarship again or not.

Reaction Score
I think their hope right now is basically a McNeely commit & then 2/3 of Diarra, Mahaney, Brea. If they get that here in the next week, they get to 11 guys on the roster and then await the Alex decision. I’m sure they have a contingency plan if he doesn’t return, but most of the work would be done. Will be interesting to see if they bank another scholarship again or not.
if we lose AK who are our PFs? stewart and liam? theyre both shorter and dare i say weaker than AK. it never mattered but he was undersized at times againts certain frontcourts.

Reaction Score
if we lose AK who are our PFs? stewart and liam? theyre both shorter and dare i say weaker than AK. it never mattered but he was undersized at times againts certain frontcourts.
Might see Abraham there as well. A lot up in the air right now tho and how they’ll finish the roster. Would have to think if Alex stays in the draft, they’d be looking to add another body in there to help replace some of his production. To me tho, he’s the biggest key of it all. No one I want over him.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Not sure I see a world where we get all 3, not enough minutes for everyone.

I’d guess it’s McNeeley + the first of these 2 to commit.

If we only land 1, I’d assume the staff would bank the scholarship to the June period where they would also have a better feeling for Alex’s situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom