Lost Opportunity | The Boneyard

Lost Opportunity

Reaction Score
Another lost opportunity to step up and be competitive. OC is no OC and it shows. The day we get competent coaches on both sides of the ball, we will begin to make major steps. The D is night and day better, but can’t be on the field all day. Z was horrendous and reverted to the freshman deer in the headlights mean. The OL pass protection was very poor and ability to drive people off the line nonexistent. Yes, we are out manned, but we don’t need to be out coached. The D play calling was a step ahead of Frankie all day. Sad.

Reaction Score
Getting Azzi Fudd kicked and still only threw 30 times. No running game, so better get good at spreading the field and distributing the ball.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Another lost opportunity to step up and be competitive. OC is no OC and it shows. The day we get competent coaches on both sides of the ball, we will begin to make major steps. The D is night and day better, but can’t be on the field all day. Z was horrendous and reverted to the freshman deer in the headlights mean. The OL pass protection was very poor and ability to drive people off the line nonexistent. Yes, we are out manned, but we don’t need to be out coached. The D play calling was a step ahead of Frankie all day. Sad.

Ironic because the OC is also the OL coach...

Reaction Score
Make no mistake. Edsall is the offensive coordinator. And Edsall had a very successful day. His offense didn't score too quickly and put the defense back on the field. Perfect offensive game plan.

Reaction Score
If you don't want to hear me whining then just skip this.

I was never sold on Giuffre being elevated to OC due to lack of experience forcing him to depend on RE to guide him. It's really a nightmare scenario because RE should not be running or guiding decisions on the offensive side. If he is it means we don't have a competent OC. And if he isn't and we can't move the ball the same conclusion has to be drawn.
Whatever strides we were making under Lashlee have been flushed and it's just a shame. Frank seems like a solid OL Coach, but under Randy we need an established independent OC. I have never been on board with starting a true Freshman QB and leapfrogging Steven Krajewski for a true Frosh means we really start from scratch again. There's too much to learn and instincts only get you so far. It tells me we're desperate and ready to throw out whatever plan we had for lightning in a bottle. We needed progress this year and there's no excuse to be going backwards on either side of the ball. None.

Reaction Score
I think AD Dave relented to RE unfortunately.
IMHO when he hired RE he told him we need to have an up tempo offense that will be exciting and relavent to bring the fans back. I believe it was conditional because why on earth would RE want Lashlee which is the antithesis of what he wants.

Lashelee leaves and RE gained more control and AD Dave gave in. It so it goes this year to a larger degree with an OC who has no experience.

Reaction Score
IMHO when he hired RE he told him we need to have an up tempo offense that will be exciting and relavent to bring the fans back. I believe it was conditional because why on earth would RE want Lashlee which is the antithesis of what he wants.

Lashelee leaves and RE gained more control and AD Dave gave in. It so it goes this year to a larger degree with an OC who has no experience.

Well Randy is the real OC.

Reaction Score

I think he came into the job with the intention of doing things differently being in a new conference with different teams and styles, but as we've struggled is going back to what he's comfortable with. On both sides of the ball.

That said i don't really see the problem with the playcalling so far this year. I saw wide open receivers all over the place today but the QB couldn't hit them and the line couldnt protect.

Reaction Score
I think he came into the job with the intention of doing things differently being in a new conference with different teams and styles, but as we've struggled is going back to what he's comfortable with. On both sides of the ball.

That said i don't really see the problem with the playcalling so far this year. I saw wide open receivers all over the place today but the QB couldn't hit them and the line couldnt protect.
The play calling is poor at best. It starts with being unable to anticipate and exploit what’s available. Yes, receivers were open and had they continued to use the T.E., more would have opened up on the edge since we couldn’t move anybody off the ball and it would have made the LBs a step slower to the hole. Also, failing to have a power package on short yardage is a sin only compounded by the insistence on using deep handoffs and attacking laterally. Pound into the 2 gap with QB under center. It gives you tons of options - QB sneak, RB dive and if you want to throw, play action to the T.E. or wideout on a quick out. Having Mensah read run is stupidity. The kid is slow on hitting holes, not great at changing direction and has trouble getting to the next level. So, sure, let’s read run out of a pistol. Real smart. If we are getting pressure all day and the QB is slow making his progessions, then roll the QB out into space and also mix in some counters to slow the backside pursuit. Instead, they got Z in the pocket as it shrinks to zero in 2 seconds trying to pound a square peg into a round hole.

I’m sorry but today showed Guifre to be an inexperienced buffoon. He is not capable of making smart adjustments and reading the game. They could have picked up an FCS or D2 OC that knows more by accident than Guifre will ever know in the next 5 years.

Reaction Score
Getting Azzi Fudd kicked and still only threw 30 times. No running game, so better get good at spreading the field and distributing the ball.

I thought that was low also until saw only ran 52 offensive plays. Only 6 1st downs doesn't make for may offensive snaps.

Reaction Score
The o line isnt getting it done the o line i thought was the best unit on the team but cant run the ball at times the qb was feeling pressure before there was any pressure but he's a freshman defense played to much didnt play bad just to much

Reaction Score
I thought that was low also until saw only ran 52 offensive plays. Only 6 1st downs doesn't make for may offensive snaps.

Thank you , 30 passes out of 52 plays is a lot of passing. I agree about wanting a new offensive coordinator next year, but we did not lose today because of a lack of passing we lost the game because we have a very shaky freshman QB and we can't run the ball at all. Maybe we should give Beaudry another shot before we decide he can't play. Beaudry showed some ability to throw players open in week one, Jack does not have that ability right now.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Thank you , 30 passes out of 52 plays is a lot of passing. I agree about wanting a new offensive coordinator next year, but we did not lose today because of a lack of passing we lost the game because we have a very shaky freshman QB and we can't run the ball at all. Maybe we should give Beaudry another shot before we decide he can't play. Beaudry showed some ability to throw players open in week one, Jack does not have that ability right now.

The lack of running game is the biggest downside surprise of our season so far. Two good RBs and and experienced OL coming in. And yet we look awful. No holes and not enough from the RBs. Even against freaking Wagner.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The RB Black on the roster hasn’t even been given a fair chance to make his presence seen it’s obvious the running game needs help.
Randy is so quick to swap guys out but hasn’t tried anyone else at RB is surprising.

Reaction Score
Indiana decided to let Zergiotis beat them by passing. They stacked the box and pressured the QB. Receivers were open at times, but Zergiotis was nervous. Also, after 2 games, it’s apparent that Zergiotis will not run and will try to sit in the pocket which makes it easier to defend.

The jet sweep to Ross worked for 7 yards as he was able to get to the corner. We needed more plays like that to spread the defense.

Honestly, I thought Beaudry looked better week 1 than Zergiotis has looked. And, Beaudry did not have Ross and Brown at WR in week 1. It looks like Zergiotis can throw better, but he lacks game experience.

Reaction Score
Also, after 2 games, it’s apparent that Zergiotis will not run

And, Beaudry did not have Ross and Brown at WR in week 1.

Two excellent points. Zergiotis' lack of running has been disappointing as he seems to have the athletic ability to do it. Our QB needs to run a little to loosen up the defense and keep drives alive.

I would like to see what Beaudry can do with a full complement of receivers.

Reaction Score
Agree with Jim here. I wouldn’t have minded getting Beaudry back in there to see how it went. By no means is that giving up on Z, just curious to see a little more Beaudry.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Indiana decided to let Zergiotis beat them by passing. They stacked the box and pressured the QB. Receivers were open at times, but Zergiotis was nervous. Also, after 2 games, it’s apparent that Zergiotis will not run and will try to sit in the pocket which makes it easier to defend.

The jet sweep to Ross worked for 7 yards as he was able to get to the corner. We needed more plays like that to spread the defense.

Honestly, I thought Beaudry looked better week 1 than Zergiotis has looked. And, Beaudry did not have Ross and Brown at WR in week 1. It looks like Zergiotis can throw better, but he lacks game experience.

FAU’s Robinson against Wagner last night...

25-36 379 5/0

They called off the dogs and threw twice in the fourth quarter.

Reaction Score
FAU’s Robinson against Wagner last night...

25-36 379 5/0

They called off the dogs and threw twice in the fourth quarter.
His name is Robison (even ESPN got his name wrong) 4* QB recruit who was ranked in the top 5 to 10 QBs in his class who enrolled early at Oklahoma. Transferred to FAU after fall football camp last year. And, he has a number of college and JUCO WRs to throw to. His top 6 WRs are 4 seniors, a grad student, and a junior. His top two TEs are both seniors.

Beaudry was in his first college start without his top 2 WRs.

I get it, UConn needs better talent, but they also need more experienced players. You do realize UConn has one scholarship player that is in his fifth year with the program? That is unheard of in college football.

In my opinion, G5 schools need to hire an offensive minded head coach because you can pay the head coach enough to keep him for a few years and he can attract offensive talent, especially at QB. It is hard for any G5 to attract and pay a competent OC who will stay more than a year or two. I’m not sold on Guiffre, but I don’t think you can run a sophisticated offense with a true freshman QB unless he is a top HS QB from a very high level high school program.

Reaction Score
In my opinion, G5 schools need to hire an offensive minded head coach because you can pay the head coach enough to keep him for a few years and he can attract offensive talent, especially at QB. It is hard for any G5 to attract and pay a competent OC who will stay more than a year or two.

^^This^^

No more defensive pedigrees (primary progression) when/if the day comes.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Not blaming play calling in this one. Jack Zergiotis said the game plan was to open throwing and spread the out and then run. Just what the BY wants. Except Jack Zergiotis reverted to true freshman and Indiana realized they could pin the ears back on the throws and load the box on runs and that is all she wrote. The game plan was good, it was the execution.

Beaudry might be back soon, he might not. Sometimes the Oline will react to a different QB.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom