OT: - Link to Schedule for Aaliyah Edwards, U23 Canadian National Team "GlobLJam" July 2022 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Link to Schedule for Aaliyah Edwards, U23 Canadian National Team "GlobLJam" July 2022

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It’s a wrap - Canada prevails. @triaddukefan will appreciate Day-Wilson’s FG percentage

7EFCA666-230D-449E-9915-C5CA28A0BAFB.jpeg

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Canada 73 - France 56 Canada holds France to 2 points over the
last 3:35 minutes while Canada scores 12. Aaliyah got her 4 th foul! but
another Double Double with 20 points and 10 rebounds; Russell with 17 points
Day Lewis with 17 points ( and some critical free throws and a three pointer to
pad the total). Taya Hanson with 6 points and S. Te-Blasu also 6 points.
This was not a runaway. France made a run at the beginning
of the fourth quarter and got it down to 6 points at one time. The Canadian
defense HELD! at one point causing a shot clock violation on France.
K. Chery and O. Diarisso (sp) both of France can block shots.
So.... Canada and USA in one semi final France and Belgium in the other.
Expect a rematch of Canada and France in the Finals on Sunday. Please
Canada = watch those fouls!! Cheers! Z
More games?? I thought this was a simple 3 Day round robin?

Reaction Score
More games?? I thought this was a simple 3 Day round robin?
The format is a FIBA format. After the "pool" round , in this
case one pool of 4 teams, #1 plays # 4 CANADA ( 3-0) vs USA (0-3)
and #2 plays #3 France ( 2- 1) vs Belgium ( 1- 2). So there are
no quarterfinals, we go directly to the Semis on Saturday and the
Finals on Sunday. So... expect Canada and France to have a rematch.
But..... don't count your chickens. or is it "poule?" in France or Quebec??
Note J. Salaun for France 15 points Z Wadoux 10 points, otherwise
a spread on the points. K Chery, (SF) had 3 blocks O. Diarisso , C/F, 2 blocks.
Enjoy! Great Job Aaliyah !! ... that's the way to lead a team = by example!! Z

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Agreed. If she's no better now than she was 2 years ago, that would suggest that she has not grown or matured during those 2 years. I believe that Aaliyah has improved her understanding of the game and has become more aggressive. Now I’m just waiting to see that manifestation on the court.
In all honesty, I will be disappointed if Aaliyah is no better than she was as a freshman. IMO Aaliyah’s fitness level will far exceed that of her freshman season. She should be able to play longer, harder and with far greater effectiveness than ever before.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Agreed. If she's no better now than she was 2 years ago, that would suggest that she has not grown or matured during those 2 years. I believe that Aaliyah has improved her understanding of the game and has become more aggressive. Now I’m just waiting to see that manifestation on the court.
2 tangible areas of improvement from her freshman year imo is the mid-range jump shot and FT percentage. I also think she has had some nice pivot moves near the basket.

Reaction Score
GloblJam Starts tomorrow Tuesday, July 5th The GlobLJam is U 23 women's and men's basketball in Toronto.
Aaliayah Edwards "made" the team, BUT. .. U of South Carolina's Laeticia
Amihere is not on the final roster
. Amiphere was invited to the tryouts, so
there will be a different look to the Canadian Women's team. You can Google
Canada Basketball for the full roster. FIrst game for A. Edwards and the
Canadians is 6 PM tomorrow, July 5th against Belgium. USA's Virginia
Commonwealth plays at 11:00 AM tomorrow against France. I do not
see a TV programming or live streaming feed as of yet??!! But they have
a link for box score on the GlobLJam - Canada Basketball link. scroll down
to the individual game and there is a link for box score. I hope we can get
to see the Canadian Women's Team and Aaliyah. Some of the Canadians
play for OREGON (2) , Louisville, Miami (2!!), Gonzaga, Duke, and UVA
( i.e. the same team that will be playing for the USA, she is on the
Canadian team = Sarah Te- Biasu, a guard ) Enjoy , Z
Amihere is on the Senior Womens team.

Reaction Score
Amihere is on the Senior Womens team.
Amiphere was on the published list of invited players to the U23 team ( there were 15 names for
12 slots on the U 23 team ), maybe a mistake, but
that was the report published in June by Canada Basketball. Of note, of course, Aaliyah Edwards is also on
the Senior team and an Olympian as was Shaine Pellington. So.... one does not preclude the other.
Or am I wrong.? Does anyone have the exact birthday dates for Edwards ( reported to have
her birthday this weekend, but no birth "year"), for Pellington and for Amiphere?. Maybe we
need some extra information from a BYer with access to birthdays and Amiphere's status.
Anyway, we have two more games to watch. Sat and Sun. Peace, Z

Reaction Score
Amiphere was on the published list of invited players to the U23 team ( there were 15 names for
that was the report published in June by Canada Basketball. Of note, of course, Aaliyah Edwards is also on
the Senior team and an Olympian as was Shaine Pellington. So.... one does not preclude the other.
Or am I wrong.? Does anyone have the exact birthday dates for Edwards ( reported to have
her birthday this weekend, but no birth "year"), for Pellington and for Amiphere?. Maybe we
need some extra information from a BYer with access to birthdays and Amiphere's status.
I found this interview. It’s kind of long but it sounds like LA. is working on her non-profit in Canada, she’ll play in the FIBA tournament and then go to Africa in August. I know she’s been back and forth to SC all summer.

Reaction Score

Being an Olympian doesn't preclude being part of the U23 squad. The French team also has a player who completed in Tokyo playing on their squad.

Reaction Score
I found this interview. It’s kind of long but it sounds like LA. is working on her non-profit in Canada, she’ll play in the FIBA tournament and then go to Africa in August. I know she’s been back and forth to SC all summer.

Nice inteview about Laeticia Amiphere! Thanks. I thought that she was the most impressive younger member of the
Canadian Senior team. I was shocked that she was not playing with the other U 23 team member.!!: height,
Athleticism, the whole package. Best wishes to all the young ladies. !! Go Canada, Beat USA (VCU), beat France!! Z

Carnac

Reaction Score

She's played like a woman possessed during this tournament. Focused on making plays. She's had a double-double in all 3 games so far, and she's making it look easy. How nice would that be if she can carry it over to the upcoming season. The last double-double machine we had I THINK was Maya. We could really use one this coming season. She's scoring, playing defense and having fun. An un-beatable combination. She's also become very comfortable doing interviews. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She's played like a woman possessed during this tournament. Focused on making plays. She's had a double-double in all 3 games so far, and she's making it look easy. How nice would that be if she can carry it over to the upcoming season. The last double-double machine we had I THINK was Maya. We could really use one this coming season. She's scoring, playing defense and having fun. An un-beatable combination. She's also become very comfortable doing interviews. :cool:
Maya never averaged 10 rebounds per game. Collier did it one year in 18-19. Before that is was Tina. Tina was a machine.

In order to do it the team has to be "not-so-strong" so the bench players wouldn't play as much unless you are "Tina" (so underrated in her early career all because Geno was doing his job by blasting her to become even more tremendous than what she was early on- which was terrific.). Maya and many of the others probably never got enough minutes to get 10 rebounds per game. UCONN is normally too good unless the center is "Tina." :)

Reaction Score
Not to forget Aaliyah Edwards has a birthday on Saturday, July 9th.
The Toronto interviewer has been mentioning Aaliyah Birthdayall at every post game
interview with week with Aaliyah. So... Happy Birthday, Aaliyah!
Beat USA ( VCU )!! 6 PM tomorrow. Who will be MVP? The
ballots could already be in! But, .. not to be ahead of ourselves...one game at a time.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Aaliyah in one of her interviews was asked if the Canadian team was playing as well as it can?

Answer, No, we can be alot better. On our day of recovery, we will refocus and be ready for the Semifinal game and the Gold Medal game.

I sense massive confidence. :cool::cool:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Maya never averaged 10 rebounds per game. Collier did it one year in 18-19. Before that is was Tina. Tina was a machine.

In order to do it the team has to be "not-so-strong" so the bench players wouldn't play as much unless you are "Tina" (so underrated in her early career all because Geno was doing his job by blasting her to become even more tremendous than what she was early on- which was terrific.). Maya and many of the others probably never got enough minutes to get 10 rebounds per game. UCONN is normally too good unless the center is "Tina." :)
I wasn't sure, so I qualified my comment with the "I think." I do remember Maya as a SCORING machine.
If 6'1' FRESHMAN Aneesah Morrow (DePaul) can get 27 double doubles last year, Aaliyah can get half that many. In case you're not familiar with Morrow's exploits, here's a recap of her freshman year.....

Started all 33 games averaging 30.4 minutes a game... led team in scoring (21.9 points per game), rebounding (13.8), steals (89) and blocks (60)... led the country in rebounds per game and offensive rebounds per game... second in the country in total rebounds (457) and double-doubles (27) including a nation's best streak of 23 in a row...

No. 3 in the nation in field goals, No. 6 in points (722), No. 9 in steals, No. 11 in points per game and defensive rebounds per game... scored in double figures 32 of 33 games including a career-high 41 at Creighton (along with 18 rebounds)... her streak of three-straight 30-point games and double-digit rebounds is the first since Middle Tennessee's Alysha Clark (Washington Mystics) did it in 2010...

Morrow is only the fourth player in history to record 30 points and 10 rebounds against Connecticut... the other three were all WNBA overall No. 1 picks---Tennessee's Candace Parker, Louisville's Angel McCoughtry and Notre Dame's Jackie Young... took college hoops world by storm in her NCAA debut with 31 points and nine rebounds against Texas Southern... first DePaul player to accomplish that in 36 years... 33 points and 15 rebounds at Butler, 32 and 15 at Xavier and 30 points and 14 boards at UConn in consecutive games... 29 points and 14 rebounds at St. John's...

She had 28 points, 15 rebounds and five steals against Vanderbilt... 29 points vs. Marquette and 28 points and 18 boards at Georgetown... finished with 28 points and 17 rebounds in NCAA tournament opener against Dayton... put up 24 points and 19 boards vs. Xavier and had a monster game of 22 points and 27 rebounds at Seton Hall.

Reaction Score
Aaliyah in one of her interviews was asked if the Canadian team was playing as well as it can?

Answer, No, we can be alot better. On our day of recovery, we will refocus and be ready for the Semifinal game and the Gold Medal game.

I sense massive confidence. :cool::cool:

And expectations based on the roster. She's not wrong either. They should be steam rolling these teams from what I've seen when they play well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom