Lime Rock Park and Surrounding Area | The Boneyard

Lime Rock Park and Surrounding Area

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So this year marks my 40th HS reunion. Painful to be that old. Literally. My HS was very car focused back in the 80s, and my two best friends and I are meeting up at Lime Rock for the Memorial Day events. First time all three of us have been together since 1984 I believe. Yes, we're all bad fiends I suppose, but life pushed us all in different directions and so this will be a real reunion for us (more than the official one). I've never been. What do I need to know about going to Lime Rock for a weekend? There are practices Friday, T/A race Saturday, car show and beer fest on Sunday. Camp chairs? Coolers? Can I bring in beer? Soda? Food? How does it work? What are the dos and dont's?

We have a local AirBnB, and we may be raced out after Friday or part-way through Saturday, I don't know. What else can we do around there as 57 year old men? One guy quit drinking, but he's coming late and leaving earlier. Looked like there could be nearby breweries. Anything else we can do to kill time? Preferably something that allows us to catch up a bit? We have a grill at the house, but any local restaurant recommendations?

Reaction Score
So this year marks my 40th HS reunion. Painful to be that old. Literally. My HS was very car focused back in the 80s, and my two best friends and I are meeting up at Lime Rock for the Memorial Day events. First time all three of us have been together since 1984 I believe. Yes, we're all bad fiends I suppose, but life pushed us all in different directions and so this will be a real reunion for us (more than the official one). I've never been. What do I need to know about going to Lime Rock for a weekend? There are practices Friday, T/A race Saturday, car show and beer fest on Sunday. Camp chairs? Coolers? Can I bring in beer? Soda? Food? How does it work? What are the dos and dont's?

We have a local AirBnB, and we may be raced out after Friday or part-way through Saturday, I don't know. What else can we do around there as 57 year old men? One guy quit drinking, but he's coming late and leaving earlier. Looked like there could be nearby breweries. Anything else we can do to kill time? Preferably something that allows us to catch up a bit? We have a grill at the house, but any local restaurant recommendations?
Breweries -
Norbrook in Norfolk/Colebrook area
Great Falls in Canaan/North Canaan
Kent Falls in Kent
Also Little Red Barn in Winsted

Reaction Score

HVRHS Alum?

Reaction Score
Yes to camp chairs, sit at the infield by the S curve. Not sure if you can bring your own booze.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What else can we do around there as 57 year old men? One guy quit drinking
Well that pretty much eliminates the main thing.

For what it's worth, a couple of years ago I reconnected with two very good high school friends of mine. One's father had passed away and he was back in state settling his affairs. I have to say, it was a blast. It's amazing how when you reconnect with people you haven't seen for decades you fall into the same pattern and easy familiarity. It was just the three of us, no spouses, so that made it a little easier too as there was no editing of the stories.

It should be great! Enjoy it!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
HVRHS Alum?
No idea what HVRHS is. MHS in my case. Half the school was gear heads. It was like American Graffiti but the 80s.

So sit in the infield, not along the outer hills? I guess I don't know enough about the layout. Can I get out of the infield if I decide I'm done for the day?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Well that pretty much eliminates the main thing.

For what it's worth, a couple of years ago I reconnected with two very good high school friends of mine. One's father had passed away and he was back in state settling his affairs. I have to say, it was a blast. It's amazing how when you reconnect with people you haven't seen for decades you fall into the same pattern and easy familiarity. It was just the three of us, no spouses, so that made it a little easier too as there was no editing of the stories.

It should be great! Enjoy it!
Thanks for the encouragement. I told my wife I was slightly nervous and she said it would be just like you described. I'm expecting the same, but it's been so long. Once we get past this one, I have to chase down my oldest friend in the world, who I've not seen for at least as long. I chat with him on Facebook, but need to get together. Life is too short. This is just us three, no spouses, so should allow the stories to flow.

I arrive Thursday along with one other, the non-drinker is the one coming Friday and leaving late Saturday, so we'll make our way to a brewery, I'm sure. I lived in Simsbury for a bit, but my knowledge of that far northwest corner of CT is almost zero.

2014DualCs

#44 Kangaroo Jack
Reaction Score
In terms of things to do in the area? Very rural area so to go to anything that you can make a day out of it besides LR park activities is tough. If you didn't have an AirBnB, I would've recommended staying at Lone Oaks Campsite (go up there a ton to visit my parents' seasonal site). But things relatively close by 15-30 minutes includes:

• Batting cages/mini golf about a 10 min drive north on 7
  • Golf (9 hole course) less than 10 min drive north on 7
  • Dispensary (The Pass) is about a 30ish minute drive north on 7 in Sheffield, MA if you're interested in that type of thing.
  • Kent Falls is about 30 min drive south on 7
  • Breweries mentioned above

Haven't explored much west of LR park into NY, so I'd maybe look around but also very rural. If you do decide to go to the dispensary and maybe have an itch to go shopping (who knows lol), there are outlets a decent drive from there further into MA. Never stopped and enjoyed downtown Great Barrington, MA either, but looks like a prime spot to walk around and have a chill day on a nice sunny day. Lime Rock is awesome, have fun!

Reaction Score
There used to be good restaurants in Lakeville/Salisbury. Pastorale was really good but it closed. There's always the White Hart in Salisbury. I went to a good restaurant on Main Street in Millerton but can't remember the name. Millerton, NY is just a 5 minute drive away and it's a cool little town. Mountainside Cafe in Falls Village for burgers, breakfast. An old friend is the cook there, haven't been but I bet it's good pub grub.

Norbrook brewery had just okay beers but I heard they have a different brewer now and it's improved. Great property with free mountainbike trails and disc golf. Great Falls brewery in the old train depot in Canaan has very good beer. Kent Falls has great beer.

Great Falls waterfall in Falls Village and Kent Falls waterfall are always worth checking out. Great Falls is legit after major rainfall. Bash Bish falls is also 20 minutes away. The lime quarry in East Canaan is really impressive and worth checking out. There's honestly not much going on in that part of the state but it's quite beautiful. I honestly love just driving the country roads and looking at the beautiful houses/properties.

There's a bunch of really good restaurants in Litchfield and the town center is quintessential New England but you're looking at over a half hour drive. It's a really scenic drive though. Great Barrington, MA. will have a lot of food options but that's also around a half hour away. Torrington has a really good newish restaurant. RSVP in Cornwall is a unique experience if you're a foodie. French restaurant, you eat the chef's 5 course meal for the night. Expensive and a special occasion kind of place.

2014DualCs

#44 Kangaroo Jack
Reaction Score
There's honestly not much going on in that part of the state but it's quite beautiful. I honestly love just driving the country roads and looking at the beautiful houses/properties.

I should've added "but the scenic views are endless" after "Very rural area". Another activity in itself is if you or one of your buddies has a nice or classic car they're bringing to Lime Rock, take that baby for a spin up and down 7, over to 22, or anywhere in the area really and enjoy the good conversation and open road (maybe get the blood pumping like the old days - use Waze!)

Reaction Score
No idea what HVRHS is. MHS in my case. Half the school was gear heads. It was like American Graffiti but the 80s.

Housatonic Valley Regional HS in Canaan.

Reaction Score
I should've added "but the scenic views are endless" after "Very rural area". Another activity in itself is if you or one of your buddies has a nice or classic car they're bringing to Lime Rock, take that baby for a spin up and down 7, over to 22, or anywhere in the area really and enjoy the good conversation and open road (maybe get the blood pumping like the old days - use Waze!)
Always a bunch of Harley riders in the area because it's just an awesome place to ride.

Reaction Score

So sit in the infield, not along the outer hills? I guess I don't know enough about the layout. Can I get out of the infield if I decide I'm done for the day?
The entrance goes over the track to get to the infield so you can go in and out as you please or as they'll let you. No conflict with the track or the racing.

Al Czervik

Oh, it looks good on you though.
Reaction Score
I went to lime rock last year and sat in the outfield section. There’s a pedestrian bridge over the track connecting the outfield to the infield, but sitting in the infield near the s turn as mentioned above is the way to go. Set up shop in the shade as those spots fill up quickly. I believe there’s a car bridge to the infield at the main entrance that allows you to leave when you wish to do so. Bring chairs, coolers w food and drinks (we brought our own alcohol). There were a ton of food trucks in the infield too.

The I’ll second mountainside cafe for breakfast/lunch - been twice and left happy both times. Black rabbit bar and grill in lakeville is a solid option (be sure to book reservations). Le gamin in Sharon is another spot for breakfast/lunch.

Renting e-bikes from Covered bridge e-bike in Cornwall or Kent is another activity worth doing in addition to hiking kent falls or hitting the closer breweries (great falls and Kent falls).

There will be some cool cars in the fan parking lots. I hope you guys get some good weather!

Reaction Score
@HuskyHawk you’ll be about a half hour north of Kent Falls Brewing. They’ll have at least one IPA on tap to satisfy your haze-lust. Lmk if you’re interested in a little behind-the-scenes tour of the small brew house. I’m close with the owner and head brewer.

Reaction Score
I went to lime rock last year and sat in the outfield section. There’s a pedestrian bridge over the track connecting the outfield to the infield, but sitting in the infield near the s turn as mentioned above is the way to go. Set up shop in the shade as those spots fill up quickly. I believe there’s a car bridge to the infield at the main entrance that allows you to leave when you wish to do so. Bring chairs, coolers w food and drinks (we brought our own alcohol). There were a ton of food trucks in the infield too.

The I’ll second mountainside cafe for breakfast/lunch - been twice and left happy both times. Black rabbit bar and grill in lakeville is a solid option (be sure to book reservations). Le gamin in Sharon is another spot for breakfast/lunch.

Renting e-bikes from Covered bridge e-bike in Cornwall or Kent is another activity worth doing in addition to hiking kent falls or hitting the closer breweries (great falls and Kent falls).

There will be some cool cars in the fan parking lots. I hope you guys get some good weather!
Good call on Le gamin in Sharon.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
One friend has this, but I don't know if he plans on driving it out.
386517270_10231666198947168_5994447103253245060_n.jpg

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Thanks for the encouragement. I told my wife I was slightly nervous and she said it would be just like you described. I'm expecting the same, but it's been so long. Once we get past this one, I have to chase down my oldest friend in the world, who I've not seen for at least as long. I chat with him on Facebook, but need to get together. Life is too short. This is just us three, no spouses, so should allow the stories to flow.

I arrive Thursday along with one other, the non-drinker is the one coming Friday and leaving late Saturday, so we'll make our way to a brewery, I'm sure. I lived in Simsbury for a bit, but my knowledge of that far northwest corner of CT is almost zero.
One of the truest things one of my good High School friends mom told us when we all came home from college the first time and all got together to hang out… the sign of a good friend is 1 month, 1 year, 1 decade, etc can pass but the next time you get together you pick right back up where you left off… of course, our lives are much different now than HS / college, it’s proven to be true every time we all get together again.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Thanks All. The Dispensary comments are almost funny, since I'm in Mass and have probably 5-6 of them within 15 minutes of my house. The damned RI people are always looking for the main one nearby.

I'll probably hit up one of the breweries Thursday before the guy who quit drinking (and lost 40 pounds) shows. Sunday at LR is a craft beer festival and car show. Great information on the infield, camp chairs, coolers and shade. I have a beach umbrella and stand as well, if allowed. Great dining suggestions, that will help, we won't want anything fancy, I doubt I'll have anything nicer than jeans and sneakers to wear.

Maybe I'll bring my Solo stove for the AirBnB outdoor firepit action.

Reaction Score
I live in Salisbury, where Lime Rock Park is located. As far as restaurants are concerned, the best restaurant in the area is The Woodland in Lakeville. I’ve always had excellent food and service. It’s about 10 minute from the track. Picantes has excellent Authentic Mexican food. Also located in Lakeville. Great Falls brewery in North Canaan is the closest brewery and they have the best IPA that I’ve ever had, Lazy Hazy. If you golf the 9 hole track at The Hotchkiss School is a challenging course, designed by Seth Raynor, a protege of famous golf course designer Charles Blair Macdonald. Good luck

Reaction Score
I live in Salisbury, where Lime Rock Park is located. As far as restaurants are concerned, the best restaurant in the area is The Woodland in Lakeville. I’ve always had excellent food and service. It’s about 10 minute from the track. Picantes has excellent Authentic Mexican food. Also located in Lakeville. Great Falls brewery in North Canaan is the closest brewery and they have the best IPA that I’ve ever had, Lazy Hazy. If you golf the 9 hole track at The Hotchkiss School is a challenging course, designed by Seth Raynor, a protege of famous golf course designer Charles Blair Macdonald. Good luck
I grew up in Salisbury.

Reaction Score
I've been going to LRP for many years, just love it there. It is actually a park, no assigned seating or bleachers.

The 'second' entrance to the park will get you parked in the infield where all the midway stuff is and easy access to the hillside above the S curves. There are courtesy golf cart shuttles if you get parked a long distance away, quite a lot of shuttles so they take good care of the spectators.
The 'first' entrance you come to will be the 'Track Office'/outfield entrance and might not be open on Friday. That would be the first gate if you are coming from Cornwall/Kent/Falls Village. If you drive by this one, past the track, past the big church, etc you will come to the second entrance or 'Main Entrance'.

Once you are in the park you can basically go everywhere: infield, outfield, both paddock (pits) areas and you can get really up close to the cars & teams. Keep your head on a swivel while in the paddock, the cars have the right of way but lots of folks still walk right out in front of them or block their way while being clueless.

Friday will be kind of test and tune day, not every team will be there and there won't be as many spectators, kinda nice. Good day to roam around to get a feel for the place and where to observe.

Saturday will be busier with qualifying of the different groups. There will be several groups of historic racers with very cool old race cars, there will be the Trans Am cars testing on Friday but I don't know if the real fast ones will test, sometimes they wait until Saturday. (There are a couple different classes of Trans Am)

The place will fill up on Saturday and Monday so if you want a certain spot, like under the shade trees on the hill, best to get there very early and claim your spot. Normally putting down a blanket with a couple chairs and cooler will suffice if you want to wander around.
There are various food trucks & food vendors, some 'might' not be open on Friday and the prices are not what you would call bargains.
You are free to pretty much walk around the entire track to watch the action from different areas, but the practice and qualifying sessions don't last a long time...the 'real' races on Monday last a lot longer so there is much more time to observe from different corners, etc.

The 'Paul Newman Straight' is probably the loudest part of the course when the cars come out of the S curves and wind them up headed for the uphill, hearing protection is advised there for sure (my favorite part of the track).
From the hillside you can view the places where the cars are most likely to get tangled up in the "Esses". They are trying to slow down from the front straight into a big corner and not all the cars figure it out.

You can bring your own food and drink, camp chairs are fine, but umbrellas and pop-ups are limited to certain areas on the back row of the hillside, most folks observe that courtesy.

There are porta-potties scattered around, a nice restroom down in the "A" paddock and another decent restroom in the campground above the Paul Newman straight.

If you get good weather I'm quite sure you will enjoy it!
Have Fun!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom