Let the Carousel begin! | Page 20 | The Boneyard

Let the Carousel begin!

Reaction Score
The list of realistic candidates with any Elite 8's on their resume' is probably zilch (other than Frese). Not even Lawson has that.
They probably have multiple conference titles, though.

In addition to the lack of an Elite Eight, Kara also doesn't have a conference title (especially not a P5 conference title) under her belt. She didn't receive an interview, if we are to believe the sources. It wouldn't have made sense to fire one coach for not having something that another coach also does not have.

What would be the point of firing a coach who didn't have any Elite Eights and no P5 conference titles despite having many chances to obtain one--just to hire another P5 coach with no EEs and no P5 conference titles despite having many opportunities to obtain one?

Again, JR was able to get Colorado turned around after a VERY rocky start (congrats), but her resume is not good enough for Tennessee. She simply has not been successful enough for long enough for them to have more than token interest. If she is their hire, then I'd strongly question the acumen of their AD.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Not sure where to post this but I saw on a Raoul tweet that Charmin Smith has signed a 3 year extension at Cal as they move to the ACC. Not necessarily a “Carousel“ update but a job some of us were curious about, I am still dubious on her after 5 years to warrant 3 more but….

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
So...I guess Tennessee didn't go with the established coach option.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Why is she referred to as both Kim Caldwell and Kim Stephens?

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score

In all seriousness. I don’t understand this. You fire KJH for a midmajor coach that has 1 season of D1 under her belt?

And fans say it’s recruiting but Tennesee did very well in the portal under Harper and it isn’t going away and she had some great recruits lined up in the HS ranks.

Again. I’m no AD, but this is a head scratcher to me. The landscape of women’s college basketball has changed and the fan base who was calling for her firing need to understand that.

Good luck to their new coach.

Reaction Score

This is the kind of hire that could either turn out much better than expected (doubtful) or make your program the laughingstock of WCBB. I can't wait to see their fanbase's reaction to this!!!!!!! :D

"We don't want Kara!" Well, enjoy whoever this is instead! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
This is the kind of hire that could either turn out much better than expected (doubtful) or make your program the laughingstock of WCBB. I can't wait to see their fanbase's reaction to this!!!!!!! :D

"We don't want Kara!" Well, enjoy whoever this is instead! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Was just going to say, this is what in investment banking is called a "high beta" pick - big potential upside, but huge risk. I honestly don't think it's a terrible pick for a "top half tier P5 program that couldn't break through", but it's very uncharacteristic for Tenn.

Anyone know how the Lady Vols fans are taking this?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Dunno about Volnation... but I live 231 miles from of Knoxville (as the crow flies) and I'm hearing some audible gasps and screams every so often coming out of the West :confused: :p:rolleyes:
1712510635864.jpeg

Reaction Score
Well this is…..interesting. I posted on VN this would be a long time proven assistant or an up and comer hire. Looks like the up and comer won out.

I pull for the LVs and there will forever be a legacy of WBB in Knoxville. I’m not sure how this is an upgrade from Harper but will keep an open mind. She may well be good. Everyone starts somewhere after all.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Eh, roll the dice and see I guess? Her limited track record is remarkable, but coaching at Tennessee is very different than coaching at Marshall or D2. Hope she figures out how to recruit quickly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom