Let the Carousel begin! | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Let the Carousel begin!

Reaction Score
Damn. Tough times in the BE, with key players and coaches leaving.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Vol fans seem generally pleased with the decision. Or more, "love her, but had to happen."

Not coalescing around any candidate though. And that there are few big-time hires out there.

Hammon has been mentioned which is one I hadn't thought about.

Gottlieb as well, and I cant see a Brown/Cal/USC person ending up in the South.
Did anyone watch Monday night's game vs UConn? Geno outcoached Gottlieb right out of the arena, just as I expected. Great recruiter, great person, great mentor, but she's just not good at guiding disciplined offenses, and I suspect even U$C's solid D is more attributable to assistant coach Beth Burns, who's often in the huddle down the stretch.

Reaction Score
Did anyone watch Monday night's game vs UConn? Geno outcoached Gottlieb right out of the arena, just as I expected. Great recruiter, great person, great mentor, but she's just not good at guiding disciplined offenses, and I suspect even U$C's solid D is more attributable to assistant coach Beth Burns, who's often in the huddle down the stretch.
I agree. I came away from that game thinking that Geno would win with either roster (not surprising). Gottlieb is not a good enough X's and O's coach.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Megan Duffy Named Va. Tech Head Coach

• This could explain why Liz Karlen and MacKenzie Hare hit the portal in Milwaukee.
  • Megan had better to reach out to whomever is left in Blacksburg (Ekh?) quickly.
  • Looking north, could Carolyn Kieger look for a second run at Marquette? Her stint at Penn State, while she had a fine end of season run this year, has not been a raging success. (And her best players are all leaving.)

Many of us have always thought Megan Duffy was on her way to a P5 position and she's landed in the ACC, where she'll now compete against another former Notre Dame point guard, Niele Ivey.

Reaction Score
Megan Duffy Named Va. Tech Head Coach

• This could explain why Liz Karlen and MacKenzie Hare hit the portal in Milwaukee.
  • Megan had better to reach out to whomever is left in Blacksburg (Ekh?) quickly.
  • Looking north, could Carolyn Kieger look for a second run at Marquette? Her stint at Penn State, while she had a fine end of season run this year, has not been a raging success. (And her best players are all leaving.)

Many of us have always thought Megan Duffy was on her way to a P5 position and she's landed in the ACC, where she'll now compete against another former Notre Dame point guard, Niele Ivey.

I think this hire/decision indicates that Megan was not the preferred candidate at Miami. That position has been open for longer than the Virginia Tech position.

Virginia Tech's AD said that he was specifically looking in the mid-major ranks, so this checks out.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I think this hire/decision indicates that Megan was not the preferred candidate at Miami. That position has been open for longer than the Virginia Tech position.

Virginia Tech's AD said that he was specifically looking in the mid-major ranks, so this checks out.
Could be true, if following your logic. Or, two sides weren't mutually interested.

Could Miami be looking Carolyn Kieger (who, as I think you mentioned, worked for Coach Meier)?
PSU was in post-season until just a few days ago.

Reaction Score
Could be true, if following your logic. Or, two sides weren't mutually interested.

Could Miami be looking Carolyn Kieger (who, as I think you mentioned, worked for Coach Meier)?

It's possible (re mutual disinterest), but there was enough interest at one time for Megan to be considered. Unless there's a shocker and "the other Megan" (Griffith) is hired, then it would seem like there are some boxes that she (Duffy) didn't check for them, such as connections and previous P5 experience.

Possible (re Kieger), but Oregon State's and Colorado's seasons just ended as well. Not sure if they're targets, but they do bring with them recent P5 success.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

2 points and I will refrain from further comment.
1. Welcome back to irrelevance Virginia Tech
2. Miami/Meier is indeed trying to get Kieger and PSU is willing to let her leave however the AD is wondering if they could do better…

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Hey @Vowelguy i didn’t see this and am not sure where to post so apologies if you don’t want it on this thread but reviewing my Raoul X (formerly Twitter) I noticed he posted 2 days ago that Missouri is going to retain Robin Pingeton for one more year.

What are they thinking? Head bang

Reaction Score
2. Miami/Meier is indeed trying to get Kieger and PSU is willing to let her leave however the AD is wondering if they could do better…
I know there are reasons for hiring Kieger but I think it would be a mistake. Harper would be an interesting hire. Not good enough at 68% win pctg (both in-conference and overall) and 3rd place finishes for Tennessee but would be a step up for Miami. Kieger would be a giant step backward.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I know there are reasons for hiring Kieger but I think it would be a mistake. Harper would be an interesting hire. Not good enough at 68% win pctg (both in-conference and overall) and 3rd place finishes for Tennessee but would be a step up for Miami. Kieger would be a giant step backward.
Look at her record at NC State though (52% overall and 44% in conference). If you can't recruit at Tennessee (meaning high school players), you probably can't recruit anywhere. She was still able to pull in some of the top transfers to Rocky Top, but might not work the same at Miami.

Reaction Score
Kieger was considered on the hot seat before this season, and was greatly hrlped by owusu. Wouldn’t be rushing out to grab her.

Harper does not seem like a Miami person AT ALL.

Reaction Score
They were irrelevant for six of Kenny's eight seasons there (and throughout the Dunkenberger and Wolff eras), so it wouldn't be anything new for that program.

Megan Duffy can do well there as long as she can recruit ACC athletes. There are no Liz Kitleys readily available to boost her legacy, so she'll need to do some heavy lifting on the recruiting trail.

The lack of movement on this front would seem to suggest that maybe that's not going to be all that easy. The worst thing that could've happened to them was the Tennessee job opening when it did. Which opening do you think the better prospects would gravitate to?

Dillon77

Reaction Score
It's possible (re mutual disinterest), but there was enough interest at one time for Megan to be considered. Unless there's a shocker and "the other Megan" (Griffith) is hired, then it would seem like there are some boxes that she (Duffy) didn't check for them, such as connections and previous P5 experience.

Possible (re Kieger), but Oregon State's and Colorado's seasons just ended as well. Not sure if they're targets, but they do bring with them recent P5 success.
Agree with keeping an eye on both Colorado and Oregon State.

Reaction Score
I read somewhere yesteday the FGCU coach has emerged as the leading candidate at Miami. I have no idea how dependable that info is.

If I'm Marquette, I have to at least take a long look at Bart Brooks at Belmont. He learned under coach Bruno for seven years in the Big East, and he has been very successful at Belmont. I selfishly want to see him remain where he is, but it's inevitable that someone will snatch him up in the next year of two.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

On what planet would Harper be a step up for Miami?

Reaction Score
Look at her record at NC State though (52% overall and 44% in conference). If you can't recruit at Tennessee (meaning high school players), you probably can't recruit anywhere. She was still able to pull in some of the top transfers to Rocky Top, but might not work the same at Miami.
Kieger was considered on the hot seat before this season, and was greatly hrlped by owusu. Wouldn’t be rushing out to grab her.

Harper does not seem like a Miami person AT ALL.
I read somewhere yesteday the FGCU coach has emerged as the leading candidate at Miami. I have no idea how dependable that info is.
Her record at NC State was prior to her coaching success at both Missouri State and Tennessee (last 11 years). I agree that she doesn't seem like a Miami person but neither did Meier when she took the job. When you and your spouse are suddenly unemployed and your accustomed to earning 1mil+ per year - and big time programs that can afford you aren't interested - $$$$ talks. As for the FGCU coach that would be a reach I think. Also, pretty sure Miami would prefer a woman for that position.

Reaction Score
On what planet would Harper be a step up for Miami?
68% win pctg vs Meier 61%, finishing top 4 in conference all 5 years, multiple sweet16 appearances, accustomed to the pressure of exceedingly high expectations, and probably about equal on the recruiting and player retention front.

Reaction Score
Hey @Vowelguy i didn’t see this and am not sure where to post so apologies if you don’t want it on this thread but reviewing my Raoul X (formerly Twitter) I noticed he posted 2 days ago that Missouri is going to retain Robin Pingeton for one more year.

What are they thinking? Head bang
Mizzou doesn't have an AD to fire her or hire a replacement at the moment. So she gets another year with no ability to appeal to HS recruits (or anyone but 1-year grad transfers, for that matter). Kind of a dead-woman-walking vibe, for sure.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom