Let the Carousel begin! | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Let the Carousel begin!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
:( i liked coach Brooks, loved what he did to raise VPI to a ACC contender. Now they are going back down to hang out with Pittsburgh, Wake Forest, Clemson, and SMU in the basement.
I'm wondering if any of his VT players will follow Brooks, helping with the descent.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I am just now getting home and reading about this. Oh my...I didn't think Kenny Brooks would really leave Virginia Tech for Kentucky. He worked so hard to build a program...and now he's facing another rebuild. But with the portal, maybe it won't take him long to field a competitive team.

I wish him well but I'm going to miss seeing him on the sidelines in ACC action. I like the way he handles himself and clearly, his players really enjoy playing for him.

Reaction Score
Here's the 85 million renovation to the gymnasium Brooks will be playing in. He's also getting paid top 3 money in the SEC now and Kentucky is maybe the most rapid basketball fanbase out there. Make no mistake about, there are a lot of Kentucky fans extremely excited about this hire.

Rapid...is that a Meth joke?

Reaction Score
So, what could be some reasons why Brooks left Va Tech for Kentucky? Is it all about money? Does it signal that ACC schools don't have the money to retain head coaches in non-revenue sports due to the huge disparity in TV revenue compared to schools in the SEC and B1G?

I mean, Kentucky has never reached a Final Four in women's hoops, right? And, it's been forever since they reached an Elite 8. Have they ever won an SEC regular season title?

Last I had seen, the University of Kentucky won't allow their women's team to play in the larger Rupp Arena where the men play, but instead are relegated to old Memorial Coliseum.
Brooks has a background in rebuilding programs if you look at his track record with VT and JMU. Maybe he sees Kentucky as a challenge too big to pass up?

Have a hard time seeing this just as money grab based on what he's done with these programs. Jumping on the "money" talking track is too easy. Not saying money didn't have some impact, but I don't see SEC programs willing to open up their deep pockets for WBB in the manner you're describing.

Reaction Score
Well at least the basement doesn’t include UVA anymore
Didn't UVA lose to Clemson, Pitt, and Wake Forest this year? They also played on the first day of the ACCT, so that would indicate that they're right there in the basement with those teams.

Maybe Coach Mox can help them ascend, but I'm not sold on her. She's had some real talent on her two UVA teams (more McDonalds AA than her predecessors, including Debbie Ryan), but that's resulted in a 0.500 record so far. She's starting to give Banghart vibes.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Here's the 85 million renovation to the gymnasium Brooks will be playing in. He's also getting paid top 3 money in the SEC now and Kentucky is maybe the most rapid basketball fanbase out there. Make no mistake about, there are a lot of Kentucky fans extremely excited about this hire.

For men's hoops, right? Have they supported women's hoops at a high level?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Well, Clemson has made it official: Shawn Poppie is their new coach, so road looks clear to bring someone new into Blacksburg, if they so desire.

Courtesy of Raoul.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Wait, Kentucky hires Kenny Brooks, Virginia Tech has an opening and Dillon puts a post about Shawn Poppie taking the Clemson job? I need to call the police to do a welfare check on Dillion as someone has clearly assumed his identity as he should be immediately positing how Meg Duffy should be considered for the VPI job. Dillon, blink twice if you can understand me....

Reaction Score
So Matthew Mitchell wants to get back in coaching. Obviously not getting UK job. I wonder what the fits for him are. Last year Mike Carey was in a similar position and ended up as an associate coach at UCF

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Wait, Kentucky hires Kenny Brooks, Virginia Tech has an opening and Dillon puts a post about Shawn Poppie taking the Clemson job? I need to call the police to do a welfare check on Dillion as someone has clearly assumed his identity as he should be immediately positing how Meg Duffy should be considered for the VPI job. Dillon, blink twice if you can understand me....
Oh, puhleeze:rolleyes:. I've always been pretty selective about what HC positions Megan Duffy should be interested in ... and Va Tech isn't one of them. Just a gut reaction. (Now if Uncle Joe would retire at Northwestern, that would be another story :D)

Actually, if there's one coach from the Muffet McGraw tree that might be interested in the Hokie job, it's Beth (Morgan) Cunnigham, who was a successful head coach at VCU for nine years, worked for Muffet during the championship years and has now had two 20-win seasons at Missouri State. She knows the state from her days at VCU and gosh knows she's familiar with the ACC from her days at ND.

Outside of that, I've got no idea....anyone else?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kim and Dawn make over $3M per year…
He's also getting paid top 3 money in the SEC now . . .
Joni Taylor makes $1.5 and Vic Schaefer makes $2.3, so trying to figure out what "top 3 money" means, and does that comparison include Texas?

Reaction Score
worked for Muffet during the championship years and has now had two 2-win seasons at Missouri State. She knows the state from her days at VCU and gosh knows she's familiar with the ACC from her days at ND.
Hopefully she’s had 20 win seasons.
Though if she’s had 2 win seasons, our pal Triad would say she’s perfect for UNC

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Hopefully she’s had 20 win seasons.
Though if she’s had 2 win seasons, our pal Triad would say she’s perfect for UNC
Yes, if she had two 2-win seasons, we might be reporting an opening at Missouri State. Yes, she's had a pair of 20-win seasons....Fixed the original. Thanks.

Reaction Score
Didn't UVA lose to Clemson, Pitt, and Wake Forest this year? They also played on the first day of the ACCT, so that would indicate that they're right there in the basement with those teams.

Maybe Coach Mox can help them ascend, but I'm not sold on her. She's had some real talent on her two UVA teams (more McDonalds AA than her predecessors, including Debbie Ryan), but that's resulted in a 0.500 record so far. She's starting to give Banghart vibes.
Why do people count up HS AAs to evaluate a new coach's success when they are rebuilding a program? In many cases, these coaches get mostly AA transfers (not all) that couldn't hack it at successful power 5 programs. These players have never lived up to the hype that they got in high school. The new coach isn't going to be a miracle worker.... Geno once mentioned, he always asks transfers, what's wrong with you?.....In many cases, there are def some things that impact their game.
Obviously, there is always going to be a Mulkey who has the rep and skills to work magic overnight, but it takes most great coaches years (prob around 5-7) to build up a program, get the talent that fits their program's culture and consistently win.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Man! I am wishing all of the new coaches, especially Brooks, all the best with their new programs.

I just have to say that you are a much nicer and more gracious person than I am. We need people like you in this world to balance people like me out. Thank you.

Reaction Score
Why do people count up HS AAs to evaluate a new coach's success when they are rebuilding a program?
Because the coaches themselves do that (to sell the program to other HS AAs). So does the fanbase.

In many cases, these coaches get mostly AA transfers (not all) that couldn't hack it at successful power 5 programs. These players have never lived up to the hype that they got in high school. The new coach isn't going to be a miracle worker.

I'm aware. Still, it doesn't stop coaches on the staff from selling the point to recruits or to potential season ticket holders, so why can't the presence of HS AAs be used in critiques of a program?

Obviously, there is always going to be a Mulkey who has the rep and skills to work magic overnight, but it takes most great coaches years (prob around 5-7) to build up a program, get the talent that fits their program's culture and consistently win.

I'm aware of this as well, but there's also the other side--hot-shot young coaches who don't actually get these P5 programs off the ground.

The point of the matter is that UVA is a bottom-of-the-ACC program until further notice. They have not had a Top 3 or better ACC finish since the days of Debbie Ryan. They're not close to being at that level, and I don't know that they have the coach to take them there. Joanne Boyle couldn't. Tina Thompson was a joke. Mox is an incomplete right now, but the trends don't look to be in her favor.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

Looks great. Hopefully Brooks can pull in some rapid players worthy of the upgrade. :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom