Let the Carousel begin! | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Let the Carousel begin!

Reaction Score
Interesting. Just popped in my head that Poppie might be a guy that VPI might look at if Brooks leaves

I was going to ask about him at some point with regard to these openings, but it looks like he's already been snatched up by Clemson.

Good hire for them!

Reaction Score
Wowwwww.

Idk. I really never liked this stuff but it's so common in coaching. By this stuff, I mean coaches talking to other teams during the season. He tried to deny it when it came up. Kitley got hurt, and in less than a month a program's trajectory changed. That's why I hate how much slack kids get for transferring. And y I like how ur not penalized by rules for it. Ekh went there to get better under him. They have a 6'6 recruit from Spain coming in and he dipped.

Reaction Score
Idk. I really never liked this stuff but it's so common in coaching. That's why I hate how much slack kids get for transferring. And y I like how ur not penalized by rulew for it. Ekh went there to get better under him. They have a 6'6 recruit from Spain coming in and he dipped.

This is my point. If the coaches are allowed to leave without any penalty, the players should be too.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
:( i liked coach Brooks, loved what he did to raise VPI to a ACC contender. Now they are going back down to hang out with Pittsburgh, Wake Forest, Clemson, and SMU in the basement.

Reaction Score
Idk. I really never liked this stuff but it's so common in coaching. By this stuff, I mean coaches talking to other teams during the season. He tried to deny it when it came up. Kitley got hurt, and in less than a month a program's trajectory changed. That's why I hate how much slack kids get for transferring. And y I like how ur not penalized by rules for it. Ekh went there to get better under him. They have a 6'6 recruit from Spain coming in and he dipped.

I get your point, but I don't think Kitley's injury had any effect as she was graduating anyways.

Reaction Score
With Kenny moving on to UK, I wonder if Virginia Tech will want to replace him with another outsider with HC experience or if they'll consider an alum with a decade of experience (i.e. Britney Anderson, currently at Illinois).

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

VPI playrd on the road last year, and Kentucky played at home. Make ot happen

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Works both ways. The transfer portal opening with the tournament barely underway increases the pressure to fill head coach vacancies quickly. The new coach needs to try to retain the best players from the previous staff’s team and hit the portal to bring in players.

Reaction Score
Coach Dawn Staley is turning 54 this year and graduated from UVA over 30 years ago. She likely does not care about rivals from her college days. The truth of the matter is that Tennessee, in its current state, does not offer nearly enough to lure her away from what she's built at South Carolina.
From my pigeon hole, I don’t think Dawn Staley will/would leave South Carolina, as least not now. She’s built a good thing there, and the AD gives her most, if not everything she needs for her program. Plus, her student athletes are very well cared for, and likewise, her coaching staff.

Reaction Score
I wonder if Ajae Petty could re-consider transferring with Brooks coming in as coach. Maybe Maddie Scherr, too.
Totally possible. I'm assuming they have the option.

Reaction Score
From my pigeon hole, I don’t think Dawn Staley will/would leave South Carolina, as least not now. She’s built a good thing there, and the AD gives her most, if not everything she needs for her program. Plus, her student athletes are very well cared for, and likewise, her coaching staff.

I agree it’s a deep long shot. But if you played on the Summitt nostalgia, “only yiu can continue her legacy. Don’t let it die!”, and offered her astronomical money “you will set the new standard for $$, and other schools will follow, raising salaries throughout WCBB,” it might get her attention.

Reaction Score
As an ACC fan I'm sorry to see Brooks leave. But I can't blame any coach for snagging a position in the SEC or BIG. Louisville just lost its apparent first choice for MBB coach to Michigan. The current landscape in college sports has two "haves" and a bunch of "wannabes" and the divide between the "Power 2" and everyone else will only get wider over time.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
So, what could be some reasons why Brooks left Va Tech for Kentucky? Is it all about money? Does it signal that ACC schools don't have the money to retain head coaches in non-revenue sports due to the huge disparity in TV revenue compared to schools in the SEC and B1G?

I mean, Kentucky has never reached a Final Four in women's hoops, right? And, it's been forever since they reached an Elite 8. Have they ever won an SEC regular season title?

Last I had seen, the University of Kentucky won't allow their women's team to play in the larger Rupp Arena where the men play, but instead are relegated to old Memorial Coliseum.

Reaction Score
So, what could be some reasons why Brooks left Va Tech for Kentucky? Is it all about money? Does it signal that ACC schools don't have the money to retain head coaches in non-revenue sports due to the huge disparity in TV revenue compared to schools in the SEC and B1G?

I mean, Kentucky has never reached a Final Four in women's hoops, right? And, it's been forever since they reached an Elite 8. Have they ever won an SEC regular season title?

Last I had seen, the University of Kentucky won't allow their women's team to play in the larger Rupp Arena where the men play, but instead are relegated to old Memorial Coliseum.
Here's the 85 million renovation to the gymnasium Brooks will be playing in. He's also getting paid top 3 money in the SEC now and Kentucky is maybe the most rapid basketball fanbase out there. Make no mistake about, there are a lot of Kentucky fans extremely excited about this hire.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Rumor on the Vols board is Coach Harper is getting an extension

giphy.gif

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Interesting. Just popped in my head that Poppie might be a guy that VPI might look at if Brooks leaves

Was this formalized at Clemson? If "i's" have not been dotted, could Va. Tech reach out?
If a done deal, I wonder just whom Va. Tech will reach out to. Better do it quickly, so as not to have dissuaded/disappointed players hit the portal, particularly the young center, Strack, who looks like a keeper.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

I think that, unfortunately, you answered your own question in the first paragraph. I don't think that affects all ACC schools, some of whom find funding in different ways. However, Kentucky must've thrown some serious cash at Coach Brooks and at 55 he probably decided to take care of his family with one huge payday.

Otherwise, his two best players are (probably) gone at Va. Tech, but the bench wasn't empty by any means and he even looked to have a very good young center in Strack. There will be better players there than what awaits him for now in Lexington.

Gotta think Va. Tech knew this was coming (given that they put out a release) and have more than a few candidates in mind, as well.

Reaction Score
Is it all about money? Does it signal that ACC schools don't have the money to retain head coaches in non-revenue sports due to the huge disparity in TV revenue compared to schools in the SEC and B1G?

I dont know that we are there yet, but that's certainly a big concern. Not just salary but general resources, facilities, etc. And stability.
People are actively talking about the demise of the ACC and the possibility of VT going to the Big12, or being left in a severely wounded ACC.
Brooks has the opportunity now to get off that ship.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom