Legendary Music Venues in New Haven | The Boneyard

Legendary Music Venues in New Haven

Reaction Score
OK, I used to go to Ron's Place, Rudy's, the Grotto, Toad's Place, I've been to Tune Inn and the Moon. There's the Coliseum, of course.

GREAT, GREAT, GREAT.

Now, my real reason for starting this thread: friends and I are having a little disagreement about a club in the 80s located on Center Street. It used to be an arcade, followed by a club that I believe was named "The Cave" and then it eventually became "The Urban Jungle" around 1990. It closed and became the Tune Inn later that decade.

Does anyone know the name of the place before it was "The Urban Jungle"?

OK, so to make this a little more fun, best music experience in New Haven:

1. We saw Tin Machine in front of a light crowd at Toad's; Bowie was right there, 10 feet away (or less) from anyone who wanted to get near, which was easy to do in a sparse crowd. A few months later he played a sold out HCC.

Worst experience:

1. A friend in the music industry told me the Rolling Stones were going to play Toad's in a few hours. I didn't believe him but I did head down there with a friend, we walked into Toad's at about 6 pm, had a few drinks, didn't look like anything was happening. So we left... We were idiots because we even saw someone dismantling a pay phone and thought nothing of it... Yes, the Rolling Stones played Toad's that night.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
New Haven Coliseum & the Yale Bowl were both excellent

Reaction Score
OK youngsters, what was Toad's called in the 1960s? Hint, it was a restaurant. I was a New Haven highschooler then. No Googling!

Reaction Score
I saw a lot of great shows at Woolsey Hall at Yale. The Mahavishnu Orchestra comes to mind.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I was at the opening of the Agora Ballroom way back when. I think it's College Street now. It was the B-52's, they barely played 45 minutes. Most memorable is that they sold beer in bottles. By the end of the night, if you slipped and fell on the floor in the GA section you would have bled out. Next show featured cans.

Reaction Score
Saw Dropkick Murphy's at the Tune Inn around 1998. A huge brawl broke out at the end of the show, but otherwise was great. That little venue had some great punk shows over the years it was open.

Reaction Score
Was a place called the Agora Ballroom that had these computerized drink machines for the bartenders. Former theater that sloped down to the stage. John Valby would play there.

Reaction Score
I was at the opening of the Agora Ballroom way back when. I think it's College Street now. It was the B-52's, they barely played 45 minutes. Most memorable is that they sold beer in bottles. By the end of the night, if you slipped and fell on the floor in the GA section you would have bled out. Next show featured cans.
The Agora was in Hartford.

Reaction Score
Saw Dropkick Murphy's at the Tune Inn around 1998. A huge brawl broke out at the end of the show, but otherwise was great. That little venue had some great punk shows over the years it was open.
Yes I remember Tune Inn, but not what it was before that. The Grotto was cool. The Moon.

WaterDawg

Lurker Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
Used to go see Spring Heeled Jack and the CT ska band scene rock out at the Tune Inn in the early 90s in high school. Good times back then.

Reaction Score
Used to go see Spring Heeled Jack and the CT ska band scene rock out at the Tune Inn in the early 90s in high school. Good times back then.
Not much of a ska scene in CT but I was probably at many of the same shows. Nigel 6 out of WeHa wasn’t bad. Let’s Go crime their most notable song

Reaction Score
Agora in West Hartford used to push grocery carts of beer bottles on a couple bags of ice around and you’d buy them that way.

Saw NRBQ there and was front row for Sam Kinison right before he blew up big. My buddy heckled him and Sam told him he had to shave his mothers back before he slept with her the night before (his phrasing and delivery were much better than that).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Agora in West Hartford used to push grocery carts of beer bottles on a couple bags of ice around and you’d buy them that way.
And they'd sell you a six-pack on the rings for about 5x the going price outside.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
OK, I used to go to Ron's Place, Rudy's, the Grotto, Toad's Place, I've been to Tune Inn and the Moon. There's the Coliseum, of course.

GREAT, GREAT, GREAT.

Now, my real reason for starting this thread: friends and I are having a little disagreement about a club in the 80s located on Center Street. It used to be an arcade, followed by a club that I believe was named "The Cave" and then it eventually became "The Urban Jungle" around 1990. It closed and became the Tune Inn later that decade.

Does anyone know the name of the place before it was "The Urban Jungle"?

OK, so to make this a little more fun, best music experience in New Haven:

1. We saw Tin Machine in front of a light crowd at Toad's; Bowie was right there, 10 feet away (or less) from anyone who wanted to get near, which was easy to do in a sparse crowd. A few months later he played a sold out HCC.

Worst experience:

1. A friend in the music industry told me the Rolling Stones were going to play Toad's in a few hours. I didn't believe him but I did head down there with a friend, we walked into Toad's at about 6 pm, had a few drinks, didn't look like anything was happening. So we left... We were idiots because we even saw someone dismantling a pay phone and thought nothing of it... Yes, the Rolling Stones played Toad's that night.
I was at the stones show ( and Dylan too at toads 6 months later)

Yeah, it wasn't Agora for very long.
Nope. But I remember it. Also the Keg House.

Reaction Score

Saw NRBQ there and was front row for Sam Kinison right before he blew up big. My buddy heckled him and Sam told him he had to shave his mothers back before he slept with her the night before (his phrasing and delivery were much better than that).
Remember last summer when we had the chance

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom