LAZ and Parking Flow - Ideas? | The Boneyard

LAZ and Parking Flow - Ideas?

Reaction Score
A lot of you are upset with the flow and a few have offered some ideas on how to improve it. Maybe with some feedback we can inprove the situation. Would like to consolidate the ideas on 1 thread and maybe we can come to a consensus on how this would best work.

When this gets moving I'll refer it to someone who might be in a position to help unless another poster has a close working relationship with LAZ. Let's try for a comprehensive solution that accounts for volume at different entry and exit points. You can start a different thread for complaints, insults, etc..

Have at it:

Reaction Score
A lot of you are upset with the flow and a few have offered some ideas on how to improve it. Maybe with some feedback we can inprove the situation. Would like to consolidate the ideas on 1 thread and maybe we can come to a consensus on how this would best work.

When this gets moving I'll refer it to someone who might be in a position to help unless another poster has a close working relationship with LAZ. Let's try for a comprehensive solution that accounts for volume at different entry and exit points. You can start a different thread for complaints, insults, etc..

Have at it:

Opening Day is always slower than later in the season. For opening day, I thought it was fine. I wish they allowed left hand turns onto Silver Lane out of the blue lots but that's on the local police, not LAZ.

Reaction Score
Have the flow of cars park in a line next to each other instead of the two deep front back. I would guess half the people are coming in with two or more cars trying to tailgate together and it always slows down the parking as people try to jockey into position to be next to each other.

It is probably easier for the parking lot attendants to fill the rows this way but it doesn't work out well for the tailgaters.

Reaction Score
Have the flow of cars park in a line next to each other instead of the two deep front back. I would guess half the people are coming in with two or more cars trying to tailgate together and it always slows down the parking as people try to jockey into position to be next to each other.

It is probably easier for the parking lot attendants to fill the rows this way but it doesn't work out well for the tailgaters.
agreed, and if you're unfortunate to be the first in the row, you have to truck all your stuff up to the front of the vehicle and have a hoodgate. Definitely not the preferred (or efficient) way of doing it.

Reaction Score
My recommendation would be that people stop bitching about parking, procedures, etc. When you stuff 5000 cars into any limited access venue, its going to be a slow painful process.

If it really bugs you? Come early. There is no traffic early. Leave late. There is no traffic after everyone else has left. Problem solved. I do it every game and I'm in and out in 60 seconds flat.

Reaction Score
My recommendation would be that people stop bitching about parking, procedures, etc. When you stuff 5000 cars into any limited access venue, its going to be a slow painful process.

If it really bugs you? Come early. There is no traffic early. Leave late. There is no traffic after everyone else has left. Problem solved. I do it every game and I'm in and out in 60 seconds flat.
you realize a better game experience tends to bring out even more fans?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There were 20,000 people. I officially had the worst blue lot space I've ever had and it still only took 10 minutes from seat to interstate. Up against the railing on the far east gate access.

Other urban travel myths debunked.

Downtown Stamford to Blue lot: 3hrs.
3:30 to 6:30 with a stop to pick someone up.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

Parking wait times weren’t bad for me. Sure, the way out is circuitous, but it’s not like traffic was jammed up. I’m way more concerned about pricing. A decent beer is 9 bucks. You can get 32 oz beers for ten bucks and tickets for twelve to the goats, parking is 5. Working out well for them with the young crowd

Reaction Score

You know what improves game experience? Win Football games. Reduce Concession pricing. Add amenities that remind UCONN grads of their time on campus, etc.

These are things that are much easier to fix than the solutions for what is currently a pretty standard parking inconvenience relative to similar venues. Only solutions I can see given that you need to get 5000 cars through Silver Lane is grading several entire neighborhoods and building a new on/off direct to 84.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
I was from parking space to interstate in 5 minutes

Reaction Score
Been to a few UConn games/tailgates with friends before. Carpooled in with them. They parked in Blue and now Grey lots. These seem to be fairly convenient and fairly efficient for quick in/out.

For yesterday’s game, I took advantage of the faculty/staff 4 ticket deal and took the whole fam. Drove in myself. I knew from talking to ticket services I’d need to do same-day parking.

Here’s my narrative impressions of my experience as a “newcomer”. Apologies in advance for the length of the post...

Got off Silver Lane exit. Two cone-separated lanes. Small signage indicated to use both lanes. Easy enough.

Cross Silver Lane. Now there’s a bunch of cone-separated lanes. Only guidance was a sign that the right lane was for Cabela’s. OK. Got it. But which of the 4ish lanes should I be in? Cop directing traffic as we need to go across the long line of cars coming out of Cabela’s (and P&W?) opposite direction. We do that.

There’s now even more lanes and now cars are starting to get bunched up. Still no specific guidance for the newbie about what the heck lane I should be in based on the multiple parking lot areas that I know exist. Getting a little annoyed/nervous as I’m wondering if I’ll need to dodge cones and cut across 4+ lanes of cars to get in the line I actually need to be in.

Finally get to a sign that shows what the lanes are for… Naturally I am in the wrong lane and need to start working my way over. I do that and then proceed to start driving towards the back of the stadium towards the red lots. Traffic thins out and after what seems like 1/4-1/2 mile I finally come upon 3 attendants clustered together. They were helping another car. Stupid me...I wait for them to finish with that car just to confirm what way I should go once I get to the end of the LONG coned road. Turns out, I could have just kept driving and no one would have bothered me (nor would they have collected the $15 parking fee from me!!!).

Parking in the red lot was no big deal.

Leaving the stadium was bizarre. We had to leave early in 3rd quarter to get kids home relatively early because school next morning.

We get to the car and try to leave the red lot. Maybe I didn’t look hard enough but I couldn’t find any way to get to the gravel road that heads back towards the gray lots and Silver lane for a quick exit...is this possible??? If not, should be! Again, poor signage and minimal human help for what to do to get out efficiently.

We end up following coned lanes away from the stadium and then down the old runways and start to circle around the perimeter of the property… Complete no-mans land with no human help. I’ll cut them some slack for that as we were leaving early. But no signage for help. We drove for what seemed like 5-10 minutes until we finally got to what seemed to be the perimeter of the P&W complex. A couple of cops there directed us out down another road. Past what seems to be more P&W parking lots, then finally we dump out onto Main St. Then a long trek up that to get to I84W onramp. Best I can tell is we went through the old airfield to Brewer St to Contractors Rd to Main St???

Is this routing really necessary given the relatively small # of cars that needed to leave the parking areas?

Reaction Score
Been to a few UConn games/tailgates with friends before. Carpooled in with them. They parked in Blue and now Grey lots. These seem to be fairly convenient and fairly efficient for quick in/out.

For yesterday’s game, I took advantage of the faculty/staff 4 ticket deal and took the whole fam. Drove in myself. I knew from talking to ticket services I’d need to do same-day parking.

Here’s my narrative impressions of my experience as a “newcomer”. Apologies in advance for the length of the post...

Got off Silver Lane exit. Two cone-separated lanes. Small signage indicated to use both lanes. Easy enough.

Cross Silver Lane. Now there’s a bunch of cone-separated lanes. Only guidance was a sign that the right lane was for Cabela’s. OK. Got it. But which of the 4ish lanes should I be in? Cop directing traffic as we need to go across the long line of cars coming out of Cabela’s (and P&W?) opposite direction. We do that.

There’s now even more lanes and now cars are starting to get bunched up. Still no specific guidance for the newbie about what the heck lane I should be in based on the multiple parking lot areas that I know exist. Getting a little annoyed/nervous as I’m wondering if I’ll need to dodge cones and cut across 4+ lanes of cars to get in the line I actually need to be in.

Finally get to a sign that shows what the lanes are for… Naturally I am in the wrong lane and need to start working my way over. I do that and then proceed to start driving towards the back of the stadium towards the red lots. Traffic thins out and after what seems like 1/4-1/2 mile I finally come upon 3 attendants clustered together. They were helping another car. Stupid me...I wait for them to finish with that car just to confirm what way I should go once I get to the end of the LONG coned road. Turns out, I could have just kept driving and no one would have bothered me (nor would they have collected the $15 parking fee from me!!!).

Leaving the stadium was bizarre. We had to leave early in 3rd quarter to get kids home relatively early because school next morning.

We get to the car and try to leave the red lot. Maybe I didn’t look hard enough but I couldn’t find any way to get to the gravel road that heads back towards the gray lots and Silver lane for a quick exit...is this possible??? If not, should be! Again, poor signage and minimal human help for what to do to get out efficiently.

We end up following coned lanes away from the stadium and then down the old runways and start to circle around the perimeter of the property… Complete no-mans land with no human help. I’ll cut them some slack for that as we were leaving early. But no signage for help. We drove for what seemed like 5-10 minutes until we finally got to what seemed to be the perimeter of the P&W complex. A couple of cops there directed us out down another road. Past what seems to be more P&W parking lots, then finally we dump out onto Main St. Then a long trek up that to get to I84W onramp. Best I can tell is we went through the old airfield to Brewer St to Contractors Rd to Main St???

Is this routing really necessary given the relatively small # of cars that needed to leave the parking areas?

I think I know exactly how they routed you - yes, bizzare.

Reaction Score

This is what you get for leaving early. It's initiated from the AD by design so you never leave early again.

Reaction Score
This is what you get for leaving early. It's initiated from the AD by design so you never leave early again.

And for bringing the wife! If it was just me & the kids, I would have made them tough it out and stay for the whole game!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom