OT: - LaVar Ball forces Adidas to replace ref mid-game, then gets ejected, AAU game called off | The Boneyard

OT: LaVar Ball forces Adidas to replace ref mid-game, then gets ejected, AAU game called off

Reaction Score
LaVar Ball is a maniac. An absolute maniac. Sometimes his act is fun. Sometimes it’s not. On Friday morning in Las Vegas, at the Adidas Uprising AAU event, it was not. It was ugly. It was embarrassing.

Ball, for the second time in a week, threatened to pull his AAU team off the court after receiving a technical foul. Last weekend, he did pull them off the court. This weekend, his threat somehow compelled Adidas, the organizers of the AAU event, to replace the referee who had assessed LaVar with a technical, according to reports from those in attendance.

LaVar then picked up another technical foul, and pulled his team off the court. He was ejected from the game, but reportedly refused to leave the floor. That prompted organizers to call off the game altogether:

LaVar Ball forces Adidas to replace ref mid-game, then gets ejected, AAU game called off

Ball: Ref that gave him technical isn't qualified

Reaction Score
LaVar Ball is a maniac. An absolute maniac. Sometimes his act is fun. Sometimes it’s not. On Friday morning in Las Vegas, at the Adidas Uprising AAU event, it was not. It was ugly. It was embarrassing.

Ball, for the second time in a week, threatened to pull his AAU team off the court after receiving a technical foul. Last weekend, he did pull them off the court. This weekend, his threat somehow compelled Adidas, the organizers of the AAU event, to replace the referee who had assessed LaVar with a technical, according to reports from those in attendance.

LaVar then picked up another technical foul, and pulled his team off the court. He was ejected from the game, but reportedly refused to leave the floor. That prompted organizers to call off the game altogether:

LaVar Ball forces Adidas to replace ref mid-game, then gets ejected, AAU game called off

Don't lose this one---I'd like to know the REST OF THE STORY---
Interesting in that a coach has that much "apparent power" to force a change in refs???? Wow!

Reaction Score
I was shocked to read Adidas' announcement:

Adidas representatives said it was their decision to replace the referee, who is a Division I women's basketball official, though neither she nor Adidas would provide her name.

"There was some miscommunication," said Chris Rivers, Adidas director of global basketball sports marketing. "The NBA don't put certain people with certain guys, either. If there's a history or miscommunication, that happens."

== In fact this is the second game for the female referee. Where is the "history or miscommunication, that happens." ???

Reaction Score
It has now come out that Adidas instructed the refs not to 'T' up LaVar and to "keep him on the court," because he's a big draw, and also they are courting Lonso for a shoe contract. So the unnamed female NCAA Div I ref didn't follow instructions (she is undoubtedly soon to be named - very clearly shown in the video accompanying this article - anybody??).

Source: Adidas didn't want refs to eject LaVar

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It has now come out that Adidas instructed the refs not to 'T' up LaVar and to "keep him on the court," because he's a big draw, and also they are courting Lonso for a shoe contract. So the unnamed female NCAA Div I ref didn't follow instructions (she is undoubtedly soon to be named - very clearly shown in the video accompanying this article - anybody??).

Don't you hate it when you have that little bit of puke get up to taste bud territory.

Reaction Score

I think this news will hurt Adidas' business.

If I want brand name shoes I will go Nike, Asics or New Balance. If I want good price I will go Fila or Reebok and, Adidas will not be in my name list now.

Reaction Score

If I want brand name shoes I will go Nike, Asics or New Balance. If I want good price I will go Fila or Reebok and, Adidas will not be in my name list now.
You don't have your Lonzo-autographed pair of Big Baller Brands on order??

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
You don't have your Lonzo-autographed pair of Big Baller Brands on order??

tenor.gif

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

I didnt even know they still made Fila or Reebok shoes. At least you didnt say British Knights or LA Gear :p

Reaction Score
I didnt even know they still made Fila or Reebok shoes. At least you didnt say British Knights or LA Gear :p
Very interesting, I almost forget LA Gear.
From Amazon search of athletic shoes,
#1 Nike, #2 Adidas, #3 Puma and #4 is Under Armour.
Screenshot (31).png

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

I'm getting tired of this guy already!

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I predict there will be a "30 for 30" story about him circa 2030, assuming ESPN is still around then.

My guess is the theme of the show will center around hubris, defined as "wanton insolence or arrogance resulting from excessive pride or from passion." The corporate greed angle thrown in as well for good measure.

The story is just beginning, and I am not looking forward to watching it unfold. My condolences, Lakers fans.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I have no idea why the other players and/or parents (other than his son) dont simply quit the team and join other teams. They cant possibly think they are being noticed and appreciated when his son (and the father of course) is the sole center of attention? What are the rules regarding switching??

Reaction Score
LaMelo Ball is the most hated high school athlete of all time. And it's not close.

And it's also not entirely his fault.

The negativity stems mostly from people's dislike of LaVar. LaVar's constant boasting and braggadocio over the past eight months has turned some people off, and they take it out on his son on social media.

How 15-year-old LaMelo Ball became hated without saying a word

Reaction Score
LAS VEGAS -- One day after LaVar Ball said a female referee was "not in shape" and "needs to stay in her lane," he said he had "no second thoughts" about his comments.

"You guys are trying to make it like a gender thing. It's not that," Ball told reporters after his Big Baller Brand's AAU team lost at the Adidas Summer Championships on Saturday evening. "All I'm saying was, what's her name? Exactly. The only reason you know her is she gave me and my son a tech. And that's what it is when you ref somebody who's got a high celebrity. Every coach acts like that because the intensity of the game is so high. And I'm just saying, don't have no vendettas in here."

"It's not about me hating that lady or something like that," he added. "She just got caught in a bad place: messing with me. She's good. She's probably a great ref with the women. But this men's stuff? It's a difference between women's basketball and men's basketball. Just because we go like that and don't hit the ball don't mean it's a foul. But don't get your feelings personal. And that's why people were like, 'She's a great ref.' To you, she's a great ref. Not to me. But it's OK."

LaVar Ball: No second thoughts on ref remarks

Reaction Score
I have no idea why the other players and/or parents (other than his son) dont simply quit the team and join other teams. They cant possibly think they are being noticed and appreciated when his son (and the father of course) is the sole center of attention? What are the rules regarding switching??
These summer AAU events are big college recruiting showcases. The HS players are there to be seen by college coaches. Roy Williams was at this particular event. LaVar's presence made it such a big draw they had way more spectators than they could let in the building. LeBron James tried to attend and couldn't get in. And they got an unprecedented volume of viewers on the live streams. This is why Adidas didn't want LaVar ejected from the games.

So, if you're a player on this team, it's sort of a double-edged sword. On one hand your coach's notoriety is getting you seen by a lot more eyes. But, if your team walks off and forfeits the game, then you don't get seen for the rest of the game. ??? (LaVar says he doesn't have an assistant coach, so if he is ejected then they have to forfeit.)

BTW I'm not taking up for LaVar - IMO he's a colossal jerk. Some sports media guys are saying he's a great father - great family man, he's there for his sons, etc., etc. But his disrespect for women is legendary. From his comments about how he developed his basketball sons ("It was my plan from the beginning, starting with selecting a wife to have them...") to his comments about taking care of his wife after she suffered a stroke ("She couldn't say too many words, but she said, 'You're right' and that was what I wanted to hear."), and instructing his boys to go work on basketball instead of spending time with her ("I got this."). And his treatment of Kristine Leahy on Colin Cowherd's show ("Stay in yo lane.").

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom