LaVall Jordan Fired From Butler | Page 2 | The Boneyard

LaVall Jordan Fired From Butler

Reaction Score
$100k is not substantial enough that you wouldn't have waited the two weeks if you were in Butler's shoes?
To miss out on all the top candidates and be left picking through what's left now? No

Reaction Score
$100k is not substantial enough that you wouldn't have waited the two weeks if you were in Butler's shoes?
Probably worth eating the $100k to get this done earlier. Would make for a much smoother transition from current staff and would be able to pick from bigger pool of candidates.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
To miss out on all the top candidates and be left picking through what's left now? No
Good point. I would expect that they would have reached out to gauge interest if they had someone else in mind who they thought was at risk of being hired away elsewhere, but I have no idea.

Reaction Score
Butler was kind of a bad choice made based on a coach who had been gone for half a decade. It is never going to be a great program. They had to wait until April for the buyout to decline. They can’t pay big money. They are never going to take the headlines in their home town if UI is even solid. The A10 was perfect for them. They got greedy and the NOOB was desperate for a member someone had heard of.

BTW, I seriously doubt that this came as a surprise to anybody.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Maybe the Butler AD and the Xavier AD can compare notes and put their heads together to find a coach that has as much baggage as Miller (Wade of LSU?) - appears the powers at the NBE office don't give a damn

I think the Ohio U coach Boals (sic?) would be a wise choice - heard on the radio that some people at Xavier want Thad Motta - Tom Crean was floated but that would be a disaster

Should be interesting - they better act quickly - How about the Chicago Loyola coach?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Jordan can't recruit to save his life and is not a big time coach, but he runs an excellent offense given the talent he had. I think Hurley should hire him and make him his primary offensive coach and play caller. Hurley is a great recruiter and good enough face of the program, but is one of the worst game coaches at a P6 school. The two of them could be a great combination.

Reaction Score
Maybe the Butler AD and the Xavier AD can compare notes and put their heads together to find a coach that has as much baggage as Miller (Wade of LSU?) - appears the powers at the NBE office don't give a damn

I think the Ohio U coach Boals (sic?) would be a wise choice - heard on the radio that some people at Xavier want Thad Motta - Tom Crean was floated but that would be a disaster

Should be interesting - they better act quickly - How about the Chicago Loyola coach?
I wonder about Crean. Maybe not a crazy choice.

Reaction Score
Jordan can't recruit to save his life and is not a big time coach, but he runs an excellent offense given the talent he had. I think Hurley should hire him and make him his primary offensive coach and play caller. Hurley is a great recruiter and good enough face of the program, but is one of the worst game coaches at a P6 school. The two of them could be a great combination.
Yeah, Hurley is turning over running the team to someone else.:rolleyes:
He like most coaches is a control freak. Unlike the greats, he doesn’t know what he doesn’t know.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yeah, Hurley is turning over running the team to someone else.:rolleyes:
He like most coaches is a control freak. Unlike the greats, he doesn’t know what he doesn’t know.

I fully get that Hurley is not turning over the play calling to someone else, and I also get what that means for Hurley’s chances of success at UConn.

Reaction Score

Matta’s a really solid coach and he obviously has the Butler roots. But I hope his health has improved in order to make this work. He is two and a half years older than me, but he looks 20 years older.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
little east living up to its reputation as a has-been conference.

xavier and butler re-hiring old coaches praying for a return to glory, seton hall hoping a former player can do the same. its kinda cute ngl.

Reaction Score
little east living up to its reputation as a has-been conference.

xavier and butler re-hiring old coaches praying for a return to glory, seton hall hoping a former player can do the same. its kinda cute ngl.
Totally, Thad Matta is a terrible hire for Butler. Why couldn’t they hire a young rising star like John Brannen??!

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
it’s going to be tough in 3 years to crack the top 3/4

Reaction Score
If Matta is half as good with Butler as he was with Ohio State it’s a win for them.

8/11 BE coaches have made the Sweet 16. Of those three one is Ewing, one has only been a HC for one season and one is Hurley.

Sad to say, but based on resumes, Hurley is now in the bottom half of the conference in terms of success. Granted, it’s not like I’d want Matta or Mike Anderson over him by any means but DH certainly has his work cut out for him. Other than Gtown there might not be any easy games in the BE next year…

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
By all accounts, although he didn't produce the wins Butler had hoped for, LaVall Jordan is respected and loved by his players, and does things the right away. There was some progress at Butler under his tenure but evidently it was not enough. Hopefully he lands somewhere else where his talents and heart will make a valuable contribution. Here's a link to a good article that reveals some of his character: LaVall Jordan makes first public statement after Butler basketball firing

Reaction Score
By all accounts, although he didn't produce the wins Butler had hoped for, LaVall Jordan is respected and loved by his players, and does things the right away. There was some progress at Butler under his tenure but evidently it was not enough. Hopefully he lands somewhere else where his talents and heart will make a valuable contribution. Here's a link to a good article that reveals some of his character: LaVall Jordan makes first public statement after Butler basketball firing
Great guy, but well under .500 in the Big East. Shame that the Covid year erased one of his better teams, but this is the business of high-level sport.

Matta has deep ties to Butler and the region, owns an impressive post-season record, and is still only 54. This hire hinges on his health.

Reaction Score
ok ... I'm confused: who is UI?

freescooter and nelsonmuntz repeatedly show they have no real credible takes on anything past the first left turn on the access road near their house. Like me, they both could use an Editor. I think the Thad Motta experience as HC of the Ohio State Buckeyes is overwhelmingly good. Like Ollie ... o no - here he goes ... he went FF. He went twice. I HEREBY PROCLAIM; if you are making Final Fours from any NCAA program, you are a pretty damn good coach in one aspect of college basketball. Second, he brought Xavier from a solid mid major to a really competitive program. THAT'S TWO. He has two great bullet points.

Concerns> What were those health issues that sidelined him? And can he still recruit today's athlete. We shall see

Reaction Score
ok ... I'm confused: who is UI?

freescooter and nelsonmuntz repeatedly show they have no real credible takes on anything past the first left turn on the access road near their house. Like me, they both could use an Editor. I think the Thad Motta experience as HC of the Ohio State Buckeyes is overwhelmingly good. Like Ollie ... o no - here he goes ... he went FF. He went twice. I HEREBY PROCLAIM; if you are making Final Fours from any NCAA program, you are a pretty damn good coach in one aspect of college basketball. Second, he brought Xavier from a solid mid major to a really competitive program. THAT'S TWO. He has two great bullet points.

Concerns> What were those health issues that sidelined him? And can he still recruit today's athlete. We shall see
Matta's coaching and accomplishments are not in question. Like you said, it's whether his health can be maintained and also he has to adjust to the transfer portal, that wasn't even a thing when he had to take his health related break.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom