OT: - Laurelview Golf ? | The Boneyard

OT: Laurelview Golf ?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Has anyone played at Laurelview in Hamden in the last few months? Just wondering what shape the course is in because a friend from near Hartford ;I’m near New Haven suggested it as a mutually convenient place to play. I know it’s had ups and downs under its creep of a manager.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
I went a couple months ago and it was in absolutely awful shape. They didn’t even have balls for sale in their “pro shop.” Go anywhere else

Reaction Score
Has anyone played at Laurelview in Hamden in the last few months? Just wondering what shape the course is in because a friend from near Hartford ;I’m near New Haven suggested it as a mutually convenient place to play. I know it’s had ups and downs under its creep of a manager.
Never played there but from the street it doesn't look so great. Doc has me on the bench now but want to get over to Keney before the season ends. Have you played Keney lately?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Never played there but from the street it doesn't look so great. Doc has me on the bench now but want to get over to Keney before the season ends. Have you played Keney lately?
Played there about 6 weeks ago. It was in great shape and the restaurant is good, too. I think the changes to the course, especially at 4 and 5, make the course easier. The somewhat gimmickry greens make up for some of the more open fairway play.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I went a couple months ago and it was in absolutely awful shape. They didn’t even have balls for sale in their “pro shop.” Go anywhere else

Thanks. When I lived in Hamden I played there a lot. It made a comeback for awhile. But any Mencetti run course can’t last for long. We are going to elsewhere. Probably Southington CC. We used to meet at Pine Valley, an underplayed and pretty interesting lay out. Now only the back nine is left.

Reaction Score
Thanks. When I lived in Hamden I played there a lot. It made a comeback for awhile. But any Mencetti run course can’t last for long. We are going to elsewhere. Probably Southington CC. We used to meet at Pine Valley, an underplayed and pretty interesting lay out. Now only the back nine is left.

Hey Cohenzone, I grew up in Hamden and I’m also a Cohen. Do we know each other? Message me at pjcohen1955@gmail.com.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Hey Cohenzone, I grew up in Hamden and I’m also a Cohen. Do we know each other? Message me at pjcohen1955@gmail.com.
I grew up in Hartford but lived in Hamden for 18 years until 2 years ago. Moved just in time. My old house had some tornado damage and lost a lot of trees a couple of months ago. I had Rosenberg second cousins from Hamden who would have been in HS in the late 50s and early 60s. Lost contact decades ago. I have no Cohen cousins because all of my immigrant grandfather’s brothers spelled the name Cohn.

Reaction Score
I see specials for Lyman all the time... always like the Jones course.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The name escapes me but there’s a nice course in Middlefield that’s probably about halfway and Portland Golf is pretty good too.

Reaction Score
the guy that built the house on pine valley never did anything on the back nine even though he told the town he was going to buy the land across the street to make another 9. he told the town what he needed to to get the land. that was a nice course

Reaction Score
the guy that built the house on pine valley never did anything on the back nine even though he told the town he was going to buy the land across the street to make another 9. he told the town what he needed to to get the land. that was a nice course
Used to play in league there, and that back 9 was brutal near sunset. Swampy and tons of mosquitoes.

Reaction Score
The name escapes me but there’s a nice course in Middlefield that’s probably about halfway and Portland Golf is pretty good too.
That would be Lyman Orchards. 2 regulation 18-hole courses, and an executive 9.

Reaction Score
Is Mancetti still there? I got into it with him twice when he broke my groups balls about bringing water and beer out on the course. The 2nd time was ugly and vowed never to go back to that dump. Guy is a doosh.

Reaction Score
Used to play in league there, and that back 9 was brutal near sunset. Swampy and tons of mosquitoes.
Lovely is going to make it into some kind of family rec center: pool etc. At least that is the last I heard.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

I never had mosquito problems there. The drainage problem affected really two holes, 11 and 12, and usually only after a few days of rain. But we always played on the early side so maybe the flying critters were still sleeping. I think it was one of the more interesting courses around and over the years I played there, was always well-maintained. They had just upgraded their restaurant when the front nine was sold and I think that whole building was going to be torn down. Not sure. I Leo heard the additional new 9 across the street isn’t happening. But that’s info several months old so maybe things are changing.

On Lyman, I like it, especially the Jones course, but it always seems crowded. Ditto Timberlin. Life is full of such problems.

Reaction Score
The guy wrecked every course he touched and is a jerk to deal with.
Believe he was the guy who brought Keney and Goodwin down to the bare bones. Stay away from Laurel View. I won't even pay the $20 I get on GOLF Now for that place.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Believe he was the guy who brought Keney and Goodwin down to the bare bones. Stay away from Laurel View. I won't even pay the $20 I get on GOLF Now for that place.

He also bought Woodbridge. That one and Keney have come back nicely once he was out of the picture. He soaked every place he took over.

Reaction Score
He also bought Woodbridge. That one and Keney have come back nicely once he was out of the picture. He soaked every place he took over.
Sorry , but Woodbridge has been closed due to the first selectwoman who said at a council meeting, "People who play golf are stupid".

Reaction Score
Sorry , but Woodbridge has been closed due to the first selectwoman who said at a council meeting, "People who play golf are stupid".
Seriously? Closed by a politician’s statement?

Reaction Score
Got a report from a friend re: Laurelview. Apparently there is grass growing in the bunkers. So it seems it’s trending up.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Seriously? Closed by a politician’s statement?
Just looked it up. I don’t know if any politician said that, but one way or another, it seems the Town never got an acceptable proposal for new management. Whether their requirements made any sense I don’t know.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom