LANE KIFFIN - the sage of CFB | The Boneyard

LANE KIFFIN - the sage of CFB

Reaction Score
Lane Kiffin rants about transfer portal: 'They're going where they're going to get paid the most'. Mississippi coach Lane Kiffin is done ignoring what the transfer portal has done to college football recruiting.

"I don't think people really say it this way, but let's not make a mistake: We have free agency in college football," Kiffin said. "The kids a lot of times go to where they're going to get paid the most. No one else is saying that, maybe. But the kids say 'This is what I'm getting here from NIL.' "

Here is the important point of the article:
Kiffin goes back to the free agency metaphor, but adds one important caveat. In NFL free agency, players sign a contract to play for the franchise of their choice. The NCAA still has no contract for transfers. Transfers don't sign a National Letter of Intent like incoming freshmen do.

And, perhaps more crucially, teams aren't contractually obligated to keep their recruiting promises to players.

So. No signing day. No commitment. Transfer portal guys can keep looking; University's have no obligations.

You have coaches visiting players in other collegetowns. Players skipping practice for visits. It is the ultimate mess.

Reaction Score
Lane Kiffin rants about transfer portal: 'They're going where they're going to get paid the most'. Mississippi coach Lane Kiffin is done ignoring what the transfer portal has done to college football recruiting.

"I don't think people really say it this way, but let's not make a mistake: We have free agency in college football," Kiffin said. "The kids a lot of times go to where they're going to get paid the most. No one else is saying that, maybe. But the kids say 'This is what I'm getting here from NIL.' "

Here is the important point of the article:
Kiffin goes back to the free agency metaphor, but adds one important caveat. In NFL free agency, players sign a contract to play for the franchise of their choice. The NCAA still has no contract for transfers. Transfers don't sign a National Letter of Intent like incoming freshmen do.

And, perhaps more crucially, teams aren't contractually obligated to keep their recruiting promises to players.

So. No signing day. No commitment. Transfer portal guys can keep looking; University's have no obligations.

You have coaches visiting players in other collegetowns. Players skipping practice for visits. It is the ultimate mess.
Risk averse NCAA and P5 legal departments and coaches and schools being paid massive amounts of money courtesy of TV and other revenue streams won't end well. The NIL deal for the Texas linemen may be the canary in the coal mine.

It's hard to see how we end up with anything but a Super League or Leagues within 3-5 years, controlling the major money, operating with 60+ franchises (P5), taking all the best players either out of HS or as free agents after they do well at the "lesser" schools.

If that happens , it's possible only the real diehard college football fans outside the Super conferences will pay much attention after their teams are left with only the scraps.
If that happens, who knows how long the big money will continue to flow.

Reaction Score
Risk averse NCAA and P5 legal departments and coaches and schools being paid massive amounts of money courtesy of TV and other revenue streams won't end well. The NIL deal for the Texas linemen may be the canary in the coal mine.

It's hard to see how we end up with anything but a Super League or Leagues within 3-5 years, controlling the major money, operating with 60+ franchises (P5), taking all the best players either out of HS or as free agents after they do well at the "lesser" schools.

If that happens , it's possible only the real diehard college football fans outside the Super conferences will pay much attention after their teams are left with only the scraps.
If that happens, who knows how long the big money will continue to flow.

I agree with you that this is the direction college football is headed. I often wonder about this and wonder how it would affect viewership. Would it go up or down if you essentially turn college football into an NFL lite. I think if UConn were not one of the haves, there is a good chance I would stop watching or watch sparingly.

I think it matters how many people root for a team and watch them religiously based on proximity vs. having gone to that school. With the NFL, 100% of fans are fans because they like that team, either due to proximity or other reasons. But with college football there are a lot of fans that are fans solely because they went to that school. If UConn was not in that Super League (which they probably wouldn't be), I wouldn't watch and root for some random school that I didn't go to. Right now I'll occasionally catch games of other teams because it's somewhat meaningful to me - they're in the same division as UConn. If that changes then I have zero connection to those teams.

It makes me think ratings would drop, but maybe I'm wrong.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Isn’t Lane Kiffin the ultimate transfer who follows the highest dollar? Seems like the most hypocritical thing I’ve heard in awhile. He may have some good points but he’s the worst possible messenger.

Doesn't mean he isn't correct. My brother is a season ticket holder there and they didn't use the portal last year as others did with two grad transfers only.

The highest bidder will end up getting the top players and taking good players from schools like UConn.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Isn’t Lane Kiffin the ultimate transfer who follows the highest dollar? Seems like the most hypocritical thing I’ve heard in awhile. He may have some good points but he’s the worst possible messenger.
Which college coach would be better? The overwhelming majority of coaches are "transfer$". At least he is saying it! Would the message be more genuine if Nick Saban said it?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom