Lady Vols Board | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lady Vols Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I know we all appreciate y'alls thoughts on the subject. Nothing being said here hasn't already been said over on our board. Despite the majority thinking our fans are idiots, most aren't. We are a frustrated fan base right now. I'm sure if your team was playing as poorly as we are, some not so nice things would also be said. But again, I appreciate y'all making another thread for us to vent on and y'all to point out what we already know. When do y'all play again? I could use some good bball for a change :)

It is amazing to me that so many of our posters don't get you! LMAO!!

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
"Holly saying that they need the ball going in to the post isn't in and of itself a 'dark ages' comment."

Except when that's all you got going on. ;)

A motion offense primer (for those that care - pronounced primmer)

Reaction Score
I know we all appreciate y'alls thoughts on the subject. Nothing being said here hasn't already been said over on our board. Despite the majority thinking our fans are idiots, most aren't. We are a frustrated fan base right now. I'm sure if your team was playing as poorly as we are, some not so nice things would also be said. But again, I appreciate y'all making another thread for us to vent on and y'all to point out what we already know. When do y'all play again? I could use some good bball for a change :)

BY=er's are not ALL Tenn dislikers (I dislike Haters). The Administration of this board tends to keep it mostly civil/ Most are wondering why Holly has problems with the abundance of talent she has. Also, they wonder what Geno would do with that talent ? The Coach is responsible for everything we call TEAM. If players are not enthused, sit them, dismiss them or train them. If they fail to do as they are told, the same solutions remain in effect. Then Holly has Pat Summit's reactions to the same performances---no lockers, no perks, practice, practice, practice ---or be gone!!
As has been point out here--Coaching isn't brain surgery or rocket science but it does take energy, intelligence, and dedication.
The in-game processes are well known. Geno isn't God--but Moses asked for Geno's guidance .

Reaction Score
I simply don't buy the "but we'll get better by the end of the year" thing. The only "really" new part on the team is Cooper. Deshields had an entire year to sit out and watch. This is Russell's 3rd year. Every single starter on the Tenn roster has at least 1 year experience except for Cooper. AND the team went to Italy or something this year to bond and play some games, right?

So really, Tenn should be ahead of every other team out there, not behind them. To say "but we will improve loads by the end of the year". Riiiight. So will UCONN, ND, Baylor (who by the way is acclimating may more pieces than Tenn), as well as SC (who is far more experienced than most teams out there).

I think (just my opinion) that some of the frustration for Tenn fans is that they look at the roster and see all the players who were ranked super high coming out of HS, and they think that makes them a FF team. It simply doesn't, and when you have a hobbled Diamond to go along with coaching that is still working from a style drawn from the 80's and 90's (as Mil, Vctw, and UCMiami pointed out), it's not a recipe for elite success. You simply cannot run offense that consists mainly of dribble around the perimeter, make a few passes for the 1st 10 seconds of the shot clock, then jack up a shot, miss, and expect your bigs to crash the boards and put back a score.

Will they be relevant? Sure. Just like in Pat's years, they have enough talent to be in the top 10. Will they win a NC? Not at all - can't do it against other elite teams with equal talent but better coaching.
Nice analysis!! Holly isn't Pat but "learned" from her. How well she learned is probably showing. A mentally well Pat would have evolved (I think) her game style. If you don't evolve, you die Basketball or species.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
When Connecticut and Geno the Great took down the mighty Tennessee empire and became all of our overlords.

:cool:

Gosh - from SoCar's perspective, I would think that is when the dark ages began! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Basketball has some basic fairly simple plays revolving around setting screens and moving off them both with the ball and without. The 'dark ages' involved the running of one of these plays and if it didn't work running another and another until you got one that did work and resulted in an open shot, or you ran out of time and heaved the ball at the basket in desperation. Alternatively you had a very good player that just went at it one on five and scored.
As basketball has evolved, new forms of offense have evolved to have options on each basic play, with the offense reacting in set ways depending on how the defense reacts at each step of the play. This works better because it doesn't depend on the defense making a 'mistake' but it also takes more coaching and basketball IQ because the player is not just performing a set move. It also works better as it can involve a continuous series of plays all flowing together and giving the defense no chance to reset. In its basic form it involves two players, playing off each other and their two defenders (pick and pop, pick and role.) Tara runs a triangle offense that takes in as the name suggests three primary players, and Geno has expanded this to be a choreography of five players all in 'motion' during the possession. When it works well it is beautiful to watch, when it doesn't ...

The principles of moving the ball into the post area and out, and from side to side is true for every type of offense as that movement puts stress on the defense and creates openings for the offense, and the faster the ball moves the better. So Holly saying that they need the ball going in to the post isn't in and of itself a 'dark ages' comment.

What has been a problem for TN for a long time now is that they have not seemed to teach the more complex varieties of offense and rely heavily on the simple basic plays that have been around since the beginning, and on individual players to create their own shots. With a consistent and brilliant player like Parker the results cover up the lack of complexity, with the occasional brilliance of a Simmons you get occasionally good results and occasional clunkers. And against good defenses with good players it requires a brilliant player to succeed consistently.

Geno uses fundamentals. Basic basketball fundamentals--passing, dribbling, catching, shooting, and DEFENSE.
He is hard to beat because his team sees what the Defense has to offer and uses it. On defense, one player alone is rarely used as the primary defender so the defense finds it harder to take advantage of a weak defender. The fewer "Plays" you use the harder you are to play against or scout.
Learning is an on going process in life and in Basketball.

Reaction Score
Surely we have someone from Maine to toss in an occasional "ay-UP!" :p

It is uttered like the Japanese "Hai," or the Canadian "Eh," just polite ways to keep a conversation moving along agreeably.:)
My Mom never made it out of Ct or Mass and she Aa Ya - ed with the best Yankees. Ya hear? (Alabama). There's a Moose in the Hoose (Canadian-West and Norfolk area Va). My Mid-West Canadian relative was a Canadian Green Beret.

Reaction Score
Y'all Noo Englanders keep comfortin' ya'selves by tellin' ya'selves ya'smarter'n others cuzza whereya live. Me, I live NorthnSouth, but come from the latter. I got sperience, n I kintellya, y'ain't gotta clue! Always knew folks wenta MissippiState what could run intellectual rings round other folks I knew wenta Harvard!
Academic learning and life skills learning are not two different things. Nor is one more superior to the other, even in Missippi State. Ya All. Or Yawl.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Isn't that redundant All y'all ?? With or without a new rope??
I was going for emphasis. It's plural of y'all. Supposedly. I never hear it in actual use.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Nice analysis!! Holly isn't Pat but "learned" from her. How well she learned is probably showing. A mentally well Pat would have evolved (I think) her game style. If you don't evolve, you die Basketball or species.

Actually, Pat's game did not evolve when she was healthy. Parker's ascendancy merely obscured Pat's lack of ability to evolve.

Reaction Score
Actually, Pat's game did not evolve when she was healthy. Parker's ascendancy merely obscured Pat's lack of ability to evolve.
I honestly don't know if she did or didn't but one would suspect she made changes to accommodate the brash Italian from Philly. The other side of the coin is--at what point in her life in the past 30/40 years was she FULLY Mentally healthy--the disease she had often times isn't immediate. Concussions today are suspected as being the beginning of the disease that has caused her problems.
No argument, just who knows, certainly not me. I've seen many lately that have the disease today. If you take a trip down memory lane --you remember odd mental things done often that most over looked at the time.

Reaction Score
I was going for emphasis. It's plural of y'all. Supposedly. I never hear it in actual use.
Having lived below the M-D line South and South West often times it's a displaced Yankee trying to fit in that uses All ya all.
But at times in Rural Alabama, Arkansas, Okla, Tx, La, Tenn, even Rural Va you will hear Southern spoken such that you will need some one to explain or Splain it to you.
No insult , argument intended. My mind reacts to words put into unexpected arrangement--I find jokes in un funny things.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
But the crucial question is; "Where in the world is Ericsandiego?"

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I honestly don't know if she did or didn't but one would suspect she made changes to accommodate the brash Italian from Philly. The other side of the coin is--at what point in her life in the past 30/40 years was she FULLY Mentally healthy--the disease she had often times isn't immediate. Concussions today are suspected as being the beginning of the disease that has caused her problems.
No argument, just who knows, certainly not me. I've seen many lately that have the disease today. If you take a trip down memory lane --you remember odd mental things done often that most over looked at the time.

I am unwilling to play the who knows how long ago game on this. She was who she was and then she was not anymore. It became painfully obvious the year before she stepped down. Hell, I haven't been FULLY mentally healthy since I was 5 years old; that was when I started to get educated and I started to get weird.

Reaction Score
The Summitt has more discussions on other games than Volnation. While there may be a little more dislike for Geno on The Summitt board, overall people are more cordial and tend to have more in depth thoughts about our team without screaming the sky is falling. I have about 7 people on Volnation on ignore, rarely post there and so I don't see most of the nastiness. I'm a liberal so I don't always fit in with some Tennessee fans. There is one UConn fan that frequents the The Summitt and is welcomed by almost all.

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score
Oh I'm a big liberal too so I definitely don't fit in with most TN fans. Right now, you don't have many on VolNation saying anything different than what Eric and many others here are saying tho. A few say we'll get better (and most certainly most teams will) but most are just tired of us playing so sucky.

Reaction Score
UCONN plays Kansas on Monday at 7PM EST. Not on ESPN though, I think it's on SNY.

We play K-State, not Kansas on Monday night. It's on SNY. (and probably on ESPN3 if you're outside the
SNY footprint).

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
The Summitt has more discussions on other games than Volnation. While there may be a little more dislike for Geno on The Summitt board, overall people are more cordial and tend to have more in depth thoughts about our team without screaming the sky is falling. I have about 7 people on Volnation on ignore, rarely post there and so I don't see most of the nastiness. I'm a liberal so I don't always fit in with some Tennessee fans. There is one UConn fan that frequents the The Summitt and is welcomed by almost all.
Wow, so you're saying Maria fell off the Summitt? That is the only way that the word "cordial" and "Summitt" could even start to be within light years proximity of each other, and though there were others more %*%(##!!*% than her, she was the ringleader of the lunatic fringe. I realize that you're referring to a kind of Southern hospitality to fellow Vols and not to UConn and Geno, but even there the Summitt was infamous for eating its own children.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Having lived below the M-D line South and South West often times it's a displaced Yankee trying to fit in that uses All ya all.
But at times in Rural Alabama, Arkansas, Okla, Tx, La, Tenn, even Rural Va you will hear Southern spoken such that you will need some one to explain or Splain it to you.
No insult , argument intended. My mind reacts to words put into unexpected arrangement--I find jokes in un funny things.
Well, good! It was intended to be a joke! FYI: I don't use the term, either.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
1995 for me alth0ugh some could make a good argument for a couple of years earlier.

But ....

Absolutely. Warlick is using the same outdated "pound it into the posts and rebound" game plan that Summitt used. A Warlick quote from the post game presser -"Anybody that knows Tennessee knows that we play inside-out, and our posts are going to touch the basketball," Tennessee coach Holly Warlick said. "They did tonight . . . . "

It worked for Summitt during the dark ages of WCBB when competition was scarce but the game has evolved. Is it possible that Summitt's legacy will be UT's downfall?

So it apparently still worked after the dark ages ended.... they (tenn) won 5 titles after 1995 :confused: So I guess the dark ages must have ended in 2008 ????

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think that she recognized that - hence the hot tub party with Harry P. I also think that by then it was too late.

Is that the reason he wore that ridiculous tie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom