Kolek out for the next two games | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Kolek out for the next two games

Reaction Score
What?! If he's capable of playing he should play in the BET. I don't agree with the philosophy that the NCAA is the be all and all.
What? You’re not serious. On what planet does the New Big East Tournament = 10%!of the NCAA Tounament? Ask Marquette if they would trade with us over last year. Ask Hurley if he would trade the National Championship for a NOOB Title. Ask any NOOB Coach which he would pick?

Of course you would rest your best player in the NOOB to make sure he is ready for the important tournament. No question.

Reaction Score
tough break. Hope he's able to play in the tournament. That said.. nobody shed a tear for us when Castle and Clingan were out and Shaka isn't telling his team it's ok to take a loss at home on Wednesday. So get the troops in order and get ready to take care of business.

Reaction Score
What? You’re not serious. On what planet does the New Big East Tournament = 10%!of the NCAA Tounament? Ask Marquette if they would trade with us over last year. Ask Hurley if he would trade the National Championship for a NOOB Title. Ask any NOOB Coach which he would pick?

Of course you would rest your best player in the NOOB to make sure he is ready for the important tournament. No question.
It is not that deep. I'm neither Hurley (who by the way reveres the Big East and would find your abbreviations juvenile at best) nor a coach of any other team. I'm a fan of watching my team play games. I really enjoy watching my team play other teams I know well, beating good teams with good players = more fun. I remember being on the court at MSG & on the court for 1990 BE championship just as fondly as I remember being at the 2004 final four.

A basketball game is a basketball game, I like it when my team wins basketball games. Planet Kemba is where the BE tournament is way more than 10% of NCAA, Kemba's amazing run which clearly began at the Big East tournament make that tourney and the NCAA forever linked in my mind. Post-season, elimination game basketball is fun - winner advances games are fun.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bro. No one is mailing it on Wednesday and NO THANK YOU playing any BIG EAST team in the Final Four. These teams know each other so well.

Danny and the boys out of conference on a neutral court?? I like our chances
Bro. Glad to hear no one is mailing it in. Not scared of Marquette with or without Kolek but respectful of their talent. Don't even know how brackets are going to break for 10 more days or so. Just want Brooklyn-Boston-Phoenix.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The coaches have to say the BET is very important. It is in their interest for the league, for the revenue and for recruiting. Doesn't mean it's true.

Reaction Score
The coaches have to say the BET is very important. It is in their interest for the league, for the revenue and for recruiting. Doesn't mean it's true.
If you play basketball or coach it and you're entered into a tournament, then you want to win it very badly. If you don't win, then you are very disappointed, and if you do win, then you are very excited and happy. No one gets this far if they aren't a competitor and competitors want to win.

No one goes into the conference tournament and doesn't care if they win or lose because they are looking forward to the NCAA's.

Maybe some UConn fans are so used to winning they NCAA's, so the Big East Tournament holds no value to them, but I assure you that the coaches and players don't feel the same.

Also only one team can with the national championship. Other teams can still feel like they accomplished other goals like conference championships.

If we win the Big East and don't win the NCAA's while disappointed I will certainly feel better than if we don't win either.

Reaction Score
If you play basketball or coach it and you're entered into a tournament, then you want to win it very badly. If you don't win, then you are very disappointed, and if you do win, then you are very excited and happy. No one gets this far if they aren't a competitor and competitors want to win.

No one goes into the conference tournament and doesn't care if they win or lose because they are looking forward to the NCAA's.

Maybe some UConn fans are so used to winning they NCAA's, so the Big East Tournament holds no value to them, but I assure you that the coaches and players don't feel the same.

Also only one team can with the national championship. Other teams can still feel like they accomplished other goals like conference championships.

If we win the Big East and don't win the NCAA's while disappointed I will certainly feel better than if we don't win either.

I agree with most of that post. I didn't say the BET had no value. I actually enumerated what I thought some of those values were. I am merely making the point that the coaches have reasons to make positive public statements in regards to their conference tournament. I put no value on the coaches comments. I take those public comments with a truckload of salt. A coach would have to be a complete idiot to run down his conference tournament. And anyone who has watched UConn knows that Hurley is no idiot.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
My BET shirts are being delivered on 3/11. I actually have an extra XL Ill give away if someone promises to wear it at the Garden. (others will be wearing too)

TK.JPG

Reaction Score
I agree with most of that post. I didn't say the BET had no value. I actually enumerated what I thought some of those values were. I am merely making the point that the coaches have reasons to make positive public statements in regards to their conference tournament. I put no value on the coaches comments. I take those public comments with a truckload of salt. A coach would have to be a complete idiot to run down his conference tournament. And anyone who has watched UConn knows that Hurley is no idiot.
The coaches that say that the conference tournaments don't matter always say it after they've lost in said tournament. See Jim Boeheim.

August_West

Reaction Score
The coaches that say that the conference tournaments don't matter always say it after they've lost in said tournament. See Jim Boeheim.
Jim Calhoun played the BET like it was the last basketball game being played on earth. Pal is really off on this one.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
They are concerned that if he plays, Castle and Tristen will hold him to another 7 point, 2 for 11 game, and his lock on the POY designation will disintegrate.

Reaction Score
All games matter.
But the 6 in the tourney matter more.
The conf tournaments matter more than a random game in December,
But lots of teams win their league. Only 1 wins the whole thing.

August_West

Reaction Score
All games matter.
But the 6 in the tourney matter more.
The conf tournaments matter more than a random game in December,
But lots of teams win their league. Only 1 wins the whole thing.

I see that sentiment a lot . And it is the automatic qualifier for who a johnny come lately fan is and who has watched our guys do this for the last 25 plus years. Im using your post as the jump off. Im not saying this is you specifically, I know youve been here long time.

Winning the BET tourney was traditionally the only indicator we could actually make a NC run. Obviously in 99 we won the BET and then got our NC.

In 2004 we won BET and the Natty.

In 2009 we didnt win the BET..... (damn 6 OT game) and we didnt win the Natty despite our juggernaut. If we won the BET that year we would've won the Title. Yeah I said it.

2011 we were 9-9 during conf, but Kemba'd our way to the BET, 5 in 5 , and I knew exactly then we would win Natty.

2014 no conf title. But it was AAC and no one can judge that clustereph.

2023 Im so glad we won the Natty last year, because after we lost to Marquette in the BET semis I was worried.

2024 we need to win BET so we can go out and win #6

Reaction Score
They don’t carry posters of it on easels every where they go for kicks.

Reaction Score
Marquette coach Shaka Smart is optimistic that Tyler Kolek's oblique injury won't knock the 2022-23 Big East player of the year out for the remainder of the season.

Smart acknowledged Tuesday that "barring a miracle," Kolek won't play in the eighth-ranked Golden Eagles' two regular-season games Wednesday against No. 2 UConn (26-3, 16-2 Big East) and Saturday at Xavier (15-14, 9-9). Marquette (22-7, 13-5) had announced Monday that the 6-foot-3 guard wouldn't be available for those games and would be reevaluated before next week's Big East tournament in New York.

"We feel very confident that he will be able to play at some point very soon," Smart said Tuesday.

Reaction Score
yup!
and last year we were 2 of 4

This year we want 4 of 4.

It restores natural order.
I see what you mean, and maybe you're right that more often than not, the first one leads to the second one. No argument from me there. Although i think it just confirms that good teams win lots of games.

The fact remains that on the morning of April 4th 2023, i was happier as a UConn fan than any Marquette fan was, and i know you felt the same.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom