Koby Brea entered the portal. Please please Coach Hurley | Page 38 | The Boneyard

Koby Brea entered the portal. Please please Coach Hurley

Reaction Score
Getting his degree in 3 years is not only huge for AK, but his family. The staff will let him test the waters, but NIL is there to keep him here if he is torn.
Alex will most certainly graduate in three years, whether on campus or remotely. I have a feeling this will go to the wire.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
There is a lot to love about Brea. At worst he is Joey C. At best he is a starter.

Also an insurance policy if someone gets hurt. The downside is playing time issues with others who deserve it just as much. Chemistry issues with too many deserving players.

Reaction Score

Simmer down, sprinkles. Feel free to look at my post history regarding Brea. He’s a depth piece that would have been our 10th man. Not saying he’s a bad player but our roster is stacked and Mahaney fills a much bigger need than Brea. His career average is 8 points a game at Dayton. If he’s a big part of your offense, you aren’t making it past the first weekend in March.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
This reeks of “all Spanish are Mexican” thinking.
Little known fact: Most Spanish people are - in fact - Spanish. Just as more than half of English people are from England.

Reaction Score
Just went over last 5 days of this thread(Left town leaving my phone behind, too busy get to a computer to to “Yard up”)

The work done in this thread is breathtaking! I cant even begin to know what to post. Great job Yarders

caw

Reaction Score
I believe it was either Mahaney or Brea and we got the better player. If AK stays in the draft I’d like a stretch 4 grad transfer with 1 year of eligibility.

Trust Hurley knows what he’s doing. I’m good with any player he brings in until proven otherwise. Euro, freshman with some upside or fifth man but four depth is the only semi soft spot right now without Karaban.

Reaction Score
He spent four years coming off the bench at Dayton. Dayton. Dayton in the Atlantic 10. That Dayton. After four years in the Atlantic 10, he finally cracked a double digit scoring average as a senior. (He only averaged seven points a game as a junior.)

There’s a reason why Mahaney is a top 20 transfer and Brea is around #100 - it’s because Mahaney is just significantly better. Different orbit.
This is why i belive the staff kind of failed Roumagolou. I give Brea a little more credit than you in this post, but I agree with the general sentiment, and think Roumagolou could have been groomed to take on that role.

Reaction Score
This is why i belive the staff kind of failed Roumagolou. I give Brea a little more credit than you in this post, but I agree with the general sentiment, and think Roumagolou could have been groomed to take on that role.
And you base this "failure" on what? Some guys work out some don't. Hurley isn't gonna hit on every single recruit or portal transfer, altho it seems lately he has been.

Reaction Score
Some guys work out some don't. Hurley isn't gonna hit on every single recruit or portal transfer
I don't think they missed at all. I think he just wasn't in their plans. If Brea was an actual target, which means a perceived need, what is the reason Roumagolou was looked over for that role?

Reaction Score
Watching Brea's clips, it was strange that he was coming off the bench. He showed an excellent quick trigger 3 on the catch and shoot, and showed some nice foot work creating space for his shot. There was a nice weak side block and an athletic dunk. Now I realize these were a collection of highlights and his MO was jacking up 3s, so there had to be a reason he wasn't getting more PT.

I think the coaching staff thought they could coach him up, seeing they brought him in for a visit, but once they landed McNeeley and Mahaney, there simply wasn't as much a need for him. The reward verses the risk just isn't there in light of other needs at this time. Now maybe he's coming into his own and will show more game for whatever program lands him. At a minimum, he will provide instant offense and some 3 Pt punch for that team.

Just because some here are pointing out that he's likely not as good as the other two players we just landed doesn't mean we're changing our tune and calling him a bum. And if all we know, he might no longer want to come here knowing that PT looks a lot harder to earn now that we landed McNeeley and Mahaney, plus the prospect of Karaban returning. UConn has a ton of interchangeable wing and guard type players that will share the court in different combinations. The need for him is simply no longer there.
Brea seems like a fine player for the Joey Calcaterra role, but we needed a starting-caliber SG who can do more than that (so that we weren't just handing the spot to a guy in Solomon Ball who basically didn't play the second half of the year).

Once we got Mahaney, we had a high enough floor at that spot and didn't want to run off Ball, who looks to be perfectly competent for at least a backup guard spot.

Your last point is bang on -- we have a lot of guys who can interchangeably play the 2-4 on offense and on defense, which is what Hurley likes to run and has been successful for us. Brea is superfluous.

Reaction Score
He’s talking about AK being torn, but referencing Clingan’s NIL.
Yes, 2023 Clingan was unsure about coming back and it sounds like getting a huge NIL package made him comfortable with coming back.

2024 Karaban may need (and would deserve, and should get) similar assurances if he's on the fence.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
We've moved on. Seems like the right thing to do.

Reaction Score
Sounds like Trilly has told Kentucky fans that Brea is theirs now as in signed. i guess we should see that announcement soon after his visit wraps up. No big surprise since we and Duke Dropped out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom