Votes: 104 77.6%
  • Anyone else

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
OK, with UConn WBB seemingly having a hammer lock on the FOW award between KK, Ashlynn & Q, it’s time for all BY’ers to weigh in on which Husky will be awarded the BE FOY award and why?

Of course KK was named preseason FOY in the BE, and she has been outstanding. But Ashlynn has stepped up as well and been equally outstanding. Right now, I can make a bunch of really good arguments for either one. Tell me what you think.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There's no way I can choose between them. And I don't envy the folks (coaches?) who vote for these awards who will have to pick one or the other.
For opposing coaches it might be as simple as which of the two freshmen lights up their team when they play UConn. Of course, if they both light up an opponent that does present a dilemma…:oops:

Reaction Score
I think KK had an edge on defense and Ashlynn scores more points but lately Ashlynn has upped her defense. I think we are gonna need a couple more games to see how it all shakes out.
Has there ever been a tie for FOY?

Reaction Score
I think KK had an edge on defense and Ashlynn scores more points but lately Ashlynn has upped her defense. I think we are gonna need a couple more games to see how it all shakes out.
Has there ever been a tie for FOY?
did Lou and Phee tie for something their freshman year?

Reaction Score
There's still plenty of Big East basketball left to be played, but my answer as to KK or Ashlynn for Freshman of the year, is: Yes...Co Big East Freshmen of the Year.
They have both stepped up big time and taken on a lot of responsibility in the wake of another season of devastating injuries. To say that they both have also shown themselves to be fearless would be an understatement. To pick one over the other would do a disservice to the other.

Reaction Score
I think right now it would be Ashlyn. She makes so fewer freshman mistakes vs. KK.
How many freshman make every foul shot?
However, I would predict in their senior year, KK would be POY, as her speed which she is trying to get under control now will make her unguardable.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Surprised by the vote totals so far, particularly when you compare stats. While both players have put up great numbers, KK leads in mpg, FG%, 3pt FG%, rebounds and leads in assists & steals by a lot….also leads in turnovers and pf’s by a lot. KK has the ball in her hands more and maintains a respectable A/TO ratio of 1.59, while Ashlynn is just behind with a 1.50 A/TO ratio.

Ashlynn leads slightly in ppg, and has a big lead in FT %, although KK has gotten to the foul line a lot more 42 to 12.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There's no way I can choose between them. And I don't envy the folks (coaches?) who vote for these awards who will have to pick one or the other.
I could have voted for KK or Ash. But having a "forced choice" I went with Ashlynn. She has been
getting more playing time and I my mind does some extra things during those extra minutes. KK
truly deserves it also. I would love it to be a neck and neck race... that would mean that they
are BOTH doing superbly!! GO FROSH! GO "Q" HM: to ICE, though not eligible, she is as
important (in many subtle and non-subtle ways to make this particular teamwork up to its full
potential.

Reaction Score
Surprised by the vote totals so far, particularly when you compare stats. While both players have put up great numbers, KK leads in mpg, FG%, 3pt FG%, rebounds and leads in assists & steals by a lot….also leads in turnovers and pf’s by a lot. Ashlynn leads slightly in ppg, and has a big lead in FT %, although KK has gotten to the foul line a lot more 42 to 12.
As for FG%, Ash is shooting 76% from 2s. (38/50) Many of those are pull ups and 10 footers. which are hard too.
Ash's foul shots are going up as is getting more opportunities to drive to the basket.

Reaction Score
Surprised by the vote totals so far, particularly when you compare stats. While both players have put up great numbers, KK leads in mpg, FG%, 3pt FG%, rebounds and leads in assists & steals by a lot….also leads in turnovers and pf’s by a lot. KK has the ball in her hands more and maintains a respectable A/TO ratio of 1.59, while Ashlynn is just behind with a 1.50 A/TO ratio.

Ashlynn leads slightly in ppg, and has a big lead in FT %, although KK has gotten to the foul line a lot more 42 to 12.
KK has been great at getting inside and making layups which is great but also makes her stat line look really good. Both players are doing more than you would expect from true freshman and if they keep it up maybe it will be a split award at the end of the season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As for FG%, Ash is shooting 76% from 2s. (38/50) Many of those are pull ups and 10 footers. which are hard too.
Ash's foul shots are going up as is getting more opportunities to drive to the basket.
Well, KK shoots a pretty fair percentage inside the arc (59%). But would you expect KK to outshoot Ashlynn from beyond the arc (40% to 34%)? While I acknowledge that Ashlynn is a better shooter than KK, when it comes to defense and playmaking, KK has the edge imo.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
KK has been great at getting inside and making layups which is great but also makes her stat line look really good. Both players are doing more than you would expect from true freshman and if they keep it up maybe it will be a split award at the end of the season.
Getting to the rim is a skill too.

Reaction Score
Given we're about 1/3 of the way through the season, I'd say Ashlynn gets the nod at this time. I use the Geno gauge in terms of how much he trusts the players and gives them playing time. When he gave Ash the nod to shoot the "intentional foul" shots at the Georgetown game spoke volumes to me. Now, there still is a long way in the season to go, and KK is impressing more every game. Should be fun to watch them both continue to grow!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom