Kim Mulkey to LSU [merged thread] | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Kim Mulkey to LSU [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That makes sense unless there is paperwork akin to a NLI that the NCAA requ
That makes sense unless there is paperwork akin to a NLI that the NCAA requires transfers to sign.
Bianca Cuevas-Moore was set to transfer from SC to WV as a Grad transfer a couple of years ago. WV announced it, SC announced that she was leaving and about a week later she changed her mind and stayed. Im thinking they said since she hadn’t finished school here she hadn’t started there so she just stayed. Since school isn’t out yet I’m just thinking the same may apply.

Reaction Score
The discussion has mostly been about the players that could come with Kim to LSU. But obviously there are many more questions. Will current LSU players even want to leave now. Many may choose to stay put, limiting how many incoming Kim can bring.

In general, short term I think this is good for Uconn, because with some movement but not an entire team switching over, neither Baylor or LSU will be a threat to Uconn this season, but before this news, Baylor possibly could have been. One thing that probably won't happen, but could change the balance of power at the top, would be if a star like Smith didn't stay put or go with Kim, but rather relocated to another powerhouse program.
Still have to wonder if a senior wants to leave. I mean, they are students and have to worry about credit hours transferring. ?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
BIggest shockwave of a coaching move since 2007????
Vic leaving and Muffet stepping down was more shocking last year IMO. This is bigger than Gail leaving for Texas IMO if that's what 2007 is referencing.

Reaction Score
Vic leaving and Muffet stepping down was more shocking last year IMO. This is bigger than Gail leaving for Texas IMO if that's what 2007 is referencing.
So people are leaving Texas ...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kim is definitely the highest paid women’s basketball coach now. She probably wrote her new contract herself.
Is she making more than $2.4M? That's seems to be Geno's salary and, it is also the salary of the men's coach at LSU, if the reports are right.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not a surprise. Kim had several "controversial" moments the last few years at Baylor - on COVID, gender, race, etc. It made sense for her to go back to LSU now.

Last edited:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Bianca Cuevas-Moore was set to transfer from SC to WV as a Grad transfer a couple of years ago. WV announced it, SC announced that she was leaving and about a week later she changed her mind and stayed. Im thinking they said since she hadn’t finished school here she hadn’t started there so she just stayed. Since school isn’t out yet I’m just thinking the same may apply.
Harvard grad-transfer Katie Benzan "signed" with Texas in November 2019, and Texas put out an official release. After Vic Schaefer was hired in April 2020, Benzan changed her mind. Apparently, whatever grad-transfers sign is non-binding. She didn't have to ask for a release; she just ended up "signing" with Maryland in Spring 2020.

Reaction Score
I have a feeling Smith will end up at SC. She’s being coached by Dawn for USA basketball soon and I’m sure she wants to go somewhere where she can win now so she’ll definitely end up there.

With senior Lele Grissett choosing to return for the extra covid season in 21-22, unless someone chooses at a late date to leave the program, SC will have a full 15 scholarship roster for next season. There is no more room.....

Reaction Score
With senior Lele Grissett choosing to return for the extra covid season in 21-22, unless someone chooses at a late date to leave the program, SC will have a full 15 scholarship roster for next season. There is no more room.....
Grissett would not count against the 15.
For 21-22 only, teams are allowed to go over 15 to accommodate 5thyr Covid players.

HGN

Reaction Score
Mulkey leaving Baylor has nothing to do with Texas or Vic Schaefer. From what I've read on Baylor's message board, I can summarize by saying she just didn't get along with her A.D.
Mulkey leaving Baylor has nothing to do with Texas or Vic Schaefer. From what I've read on Baylor's message board, I can summarize by saying she just didn't get along with her A.D.
What were the problems she was having after such a long and successful career at Baylor?

Reaction Score
I can’t get over the fact that she won only one championship with Brittney Greiner.
Only one.
Major failure to utilize that once in a lifetime big.
Sorry.
No one ever said KM is a great in-game coach she is not, we saw that again in that elite 8 game. That was her undoing in the Griner years. However, as it has been mentioned she has won 2 NC since Griner so she made up for that. No one but Geno can top what she has done in the last 15 to 20yrs...

W

wolfe613

they're blaming the AD for her leaving, also not sure if it's true but I think the Georgia hc is the most likely person to get the job at Baylor

Reaction Score
You might be surprised. I think money was not the driving force here.
May not have been, but I’m sure she didn’t quibble if the offer was higher than Baylor. Which I’m fairly sure it was. Good for her anyway! She deserves whatever she can get. I think she is clearly top three in the country as a coach. I’m eagerly looking forward to a new wardrobe featuring LSU colors and perhaps some Louisiana animal prints. Perhaps some kind of aerodynamic jacket that will fly a little further across the court!

Reaction Score
The question is whether Kim is running home to Louisiana , or running away from battling Vic Schaefer in Texas for the best talent. Mulkey is a great coach and will certainly elevate LSU. But at the same time Baylor will suffer from her absence and Schaefer's presence at U. of Texas.
Kim Mulkey doesn’t need to run away from any other coach. Come on, surely we can agree she’s earned that much respect at least. If she was looking for something easy, she would have stayed at Baylor where she basically was the unquestioned queen of the conference rather than moving to a conference that is almost always the toughest in the country!

Reaction Score
I dont understand why some people think Mulkey should be scared of South Carolina lol. Give it a few years, she will he owning the SEC, including Staley lol. She is a way better coach. Good for her. Go home and get paid. That's what a lot of people dream of. LSU fans probably could have never dreamt this a few months ago, so I can imagine the high they are on. I hope you all keep your expectations reasonable, but you got an amazing coaching Mulkey. I'll be rooting for her in the SEC

Reaction Score
Don’t think Mulkey will be scared of SC but Dawn isn’t going to be scared of Mulkey either. One of the reasons Dawn came to the SEC was to compete against great coaches which, at the time, included Pat Summitt, Andy Landers, and others. It will certainly fill the void of a high caliber rivalry that was left when Vic left. As a SC fan I’m looking forward to it. Should be some great games. With up and coming Georgia and Ole Miss and Tennessee, new coaches Shea Ralph and Johnnie Harris and now Kim the SEC will be completely different this year and in the near future. Kim’s job will be harder at LSU than it was at Baylor for sure.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Because of the different levels/sources of his contracted money, there may be a baseline for his 'state compensation' that is less than his total. Whatever it is, it will be a very good retirement pension.
and he'll have earned every penny.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
What were the problems she was having after such a long and successful career at Baylor?
Mack Rhoades was hired by Baylor (from Mizzou) as their new athletic director in July 2016. So, itt's been less than 5 years she's worked with/for him.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Don’t think Mulkey will be scared of SC but Dawn isn’t going to be scared of Mulkey either. One of the reasons Dawn came to the SEC was to compete against great coaches which, at the time, included Pat Summitt, Andy Landers, and others. It will certainly fill the void of a high caliber rivalry that was left when Vic left. As a SC fan I’m looking forward to it. Should be some great games. With up and coming Georgia and Ole Miss and Tennessee, new coaches Shea Ralph and Johnnie Harris and now Kim the SEC will be completely different this year and in the near future. Kim’s job will be harder at LSU than it was at Baylor for sure.
Obviously, with Mulkey's pedigree, she will turn LSU around much quicker than Ralph will Vandy and Harris will Auburn. So, life just got a lot harder for inexperienced head coaches in the SEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom