Kiki commits to UCLA | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kiki commits to UCLA

Reaction Score
While I certainly would have loved to see Rice come to UConn, I have to say that since I learned she was heading to UCLA, I have a general sense of ambivalence about her choice.

UConn is loaded in the backcourt for the next several years, the Huskies already have offers out to several top 2023 guards and Rice is not going to hurt us playing basketball in Westwood.

Rice seems like a wonderful young lady. I wish her all the best at UCLA. It’s time to move on to the next recruit.
I’m feeling the same. I think this opens it up a little more for the top 2023 guards to come to us. Losing her to UCLA doesn’t really feel like a loss IMO. Maybe I’d be having a different tune if she was going to Stanford.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Huge peanut gallery here
Mr Peanut GIF by The 94th Annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
But Stanford >>> UCLA in academics and women's basketball. The decision is surprising because she didn't pick the best basketball school, nor the school with the best academics, nor the school closest to home.
If you are lucky enough to be someone who has great choices or have kids who have a lot of solid college choices, they can surprise you Two of my kids picked schools I thought they might but weren’t what I thought would be my first choice. But their decisions made them comfortable and they both have had great success in the working world. Elite athletes have additional considerations.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
But Stanford >>> UCLA in academics and women's basketball. The decision is surprising because she didn't pick the best basketball school, nor the school with the best academics, nor the school closest to home.

There is no 100% meaningful ranking, but here's what US News says:

Stanford #6, tied with Chicago.

Duke #9, tied with Cal Tech, Hopkins, and Northwestern.

UCLA #20, ahead of Berkeley, Emory, Georgetown, Virginia, NYU, Carnegie-Mellon, et al.

I don't see a huge difference.

CL82

Reaction Score
There is no 100% meaningful ranking, but here's what US News says:

Stanford #6, tied with Chicago.

Duke #9, tied with Cal Tech, Hopkins, and Northwestern.

UCLA #20, ahead of Berkeley, Emory, Georgetown, Virginia, NYU, Carnegie-Mellon, et al.

I don't see a huge difference.
At Stanford should be going to a national championship contender. At UCLA, that’s far from a certainty. That’s the difference, and it’s a huge one.

Still, I’m happy with her choice and I wish her the best. If she couldn’t come to Connecticut I’m glad she didn’t go to one of our closer contenders.

Reaction Score
I'd rather hit 2023 hard just for spacing and I said that before Rice's decision. The 2023-24 season would be the senior season for Paige's class, so the freshman will get a year to learn from the best and get their feet wet, and then when they take the sophomore leap would have lots of playing time after the graduation of about 5 players. The 2023-24 team would be anchored by a senior Fudd (assuming she doesn't/can't go pro early), and sophomores Ice and Ayana which is a pretty good core to build around.

The 23-24 team would be anchored by seniors Bueckers, Mühl, Edwards Gabriel and McClean.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
At Stanford should be going to a national championship contender. At UCLA, that’s far from a certainty. That’s the difference, and it’s a huge one.

Still, I’m happy with her choice and I wish her the best. If she couldn’t come to Connecticut I’m glad she didn’t go to one of our closer contenders.
Yeah, I agree that there's a decent-sized gap in terms of hoops. Not so much in academics.

CL82

Reaction Score
Yeah, I agree that there's a decent-sized gap in terms of hoops. Not so much in academics.
So if the academics are a wash, why not go for the better program?

That’s rhetorical. It doesn’t matter to me one way or the other now that it’s not Connecticut. Wish her well though.

Reaction Score
It is one more example how coaching the international game (under 19, Olympics, etc gives you a leg up on recruits.

Reaction Score
She apparently saw something in UCLA that she liked. And I hope she has a great four years. There might be an academic department there that appealed to her and she’ll still be able to play elite basketball, though championships might be out of reach. My wife is an UCLA grad and though it wasn’t the school she wanted (her parents weren’t willing to pay the tuition for her first choice. I never thought guard heavy UConn was in the picture and given that it wasn’t in the same caliber as the competing schools, it might well have been at the bottom of her list. UConn coaches are probably happy with her choice because it wasn’t Stanford. From UConn’s point of view this was the best outcome. Go Kiki, do your thing. Your bloodline suggests the best is yet to come.

Reaction Score
...I have a general sense of ambivalence about her choice.

... Rice is not going to hurt us playing basketball in Westwood.

...It’s time to move on to the next recruit.
Absolutely!

Seems like kind of a non-event. Wasn't there something of significance to us that was supposed to happen at 6:00 ?!?!? Sure doesn't feel that way. Maybe we should just go back to an exciting and interesting topic to talk about. How about who starts...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom