Kibitzer Memorial Badass Award | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kibitzer Memorial Badass Award

Reaction Score
Aubrey was great, but it is interesting that Nika is suffering from her own success - a Uconn player getting 10 assists is supposed to happen maybe once or twice a year and be highly celebrated - Nika, ho hum, she only got 12 assists this game, I remember when she would put up 13 or 15 in a game ... age must be catching up with her. :eek:

(Uconn players before this year had only ever had 12 or more assists in 11 games. Muhl has done it 3 times in the last 4 games!)
I understand it was Providence but she had 12 and played only 26 minutes, so 18 for a 40 minute stint. Looking forward to Sunday with a well rested lineup Griffin and Ducharme at 30 and 28 most played.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Aubrey was great, but to me the Badass goes to Lou, she took a hard elbow on the chin, made both free throws and then sank a two pointer on the inbounds pass. If it was me I'd still be lying on the ground wondering what the heck hit me.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Aubrey was great, but to me the Badass goes to Lou, she took a hard elbow on the chin, made both free throws and then sank a two pointer on the inbounds pass. If it was me I'd still be lying on the ground wondering what the heck hit me.
Hey Serge, Lou is like a Timex watch..............she takes a lick'n and................... ;)

Reaction Score
Maybe Lou gets a little consideration for getting clocked on the chin and getting up quickly and shoot FT's and make shots like nothing happened
Luckily (to me) it looked like it wasn't on the point of the elbow, but more like the meaty part of the tricep.

Aubrey is my BA.

But the kid I'm most happy for is Ines. See her teammates mugging her at the end of the game. They were pretty happy too.

Of course I can't post without saying something of Nika, she only the top assist leader in the WHOLE United States. I think she should start.

Reaction Score
But the kid I'm most happy for is Ines. See her teammates mugging her at the end of the game. They were pretty happy too.

Of course I can't post without saying something of Nika, she only the top assist leader in the WHOLE United States. I think she should start.
I loved how the second Ines came out and sat down, Nika knelt down in front of her and was coaching her up. Couple that with Paige throwing her arm around Nika after she broke Paige's assist record - these kids are totally about supporting and building each other up. Tons of lifetime bonds built within Uconn wcbb!

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Did anyone mention Aubrey yet???? I really want Amari to become the best she can; Yesterday i got just a glimmer of hope as she actually attacked two rebounds. It's not much but I have hope and confidence in the coaches that she will become a real contributor.

Reaction Score
I have no argument with the selection of Aubrey as the award winner. Having said that, I am compelled, based on my interpretation of what the Badass award is all about, to bestow it upon the team's point guard.

Long before this season began, most of us knew, or thought we knew, what to expect from this team. After Paige and Ice went down, most of us were uncertain what we could reasonably anticipate. What very few of us understood was that Nika could, or would, emerge into the consistent, reliable, and fiercely competitive table-setter she has become. Yes, we knew she was likely the team's best defender, but her current level of productivity on the offensive end would have been hard to predict.

For me, the preeminent Badass tends in most cases to be the mainspring that makes the clock tick!

Reaction Score
The 'Tasmanian Devil' herself, Aubrey!
tv series animation GIF

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I have no argument with the selection of Aubrey as the award winner. Having said that, I am compelled, based on my interpretation of what the Badass award is all about, to bestow it upon the team's point guard.

Long before this season began, most of us knew, or thought we knew, what to expect from this team. After Paige and Ice went down, most of us were uncertain what we could reasonably anticipate. What very few of us understood was that Nika could, or would, emerge into the consistent, reliable, and fiercely competitive table-setter she has become. Yes, we knew she was likely the team's best defender, but her current level of productivity on the offensive end would have been hard to predict.

For me, the preeminent Badass tends in most cases to be the mainspring that makes the clock tick!
Yup ... the advent of this award was specifically as a contrast to the usual criteria of the 'star of the game' award. The idea was to highlight play that was not being recognized enough. But ... as we all got involved in 'voting' it has often drifted into the same realm as the 'star of the game.'

For me, a player like Kelly Faris personifies the intent of the award - she seldom led the team in scoring or assists or rebounding, but the player she defended never reached her career averages, she always made a few clutch plays a game, and would probably lead the team in bruises and floor burns.

I don't disagree with Aubrey being considered, but I would give her the 'star of the game award' (which I think she got from SNY) and save the Badass for someone like Nika.

Reaction Score
Yup ... the advent of this award was specifically as a contrast to the usual criteria of the 'star of the game' award. The idea was to highlight play that was not being recognized enough. But ... as we all got involved in 'voting' it has often drifted into the same realm as the 'star of the game.'

For me, a player like Kelly Faris personifies the intent of the award - she seldom led the team in scoring or assists or rebounding, but the player she defended never reached her career averages, she always made a few clutch plays a game, and would probably lead the team in bruises and floor burns.

I don't disagree with Aubrey being considered, but I would give her the 'star of the game award' (which I think she got from SNY) and save the Badass for someone like Nika.
Well said! When he established this mythical "award", the late and very much lamented Kibitzer (who was a master of the English language) took pains to make use of it to distinguish between certain gutsy performances and contributions that were true "star-of-the-game" efforts.

Interesting that you would invoke Kelly Paris' name as part of this discussion. She is my all-time favorite Husky player, precisely because, despite being far from the most talented, her efforts, game in and game out, were unparalleled. I remember one game in particular, I think it might have been against Duke, that was quintessentially emblematic of her style of play. In the post-game press conference, Geno was asked about his assessment of her performance. This is not verbatim, but close: "Over the years, we have been fortunate to have several truly legendary players here at Connecticut...but in all those years, no player ever did more to honor the uniform than that kid did tonight!"

Badass and star of the game can be, but are not necessarily, synonymous. I'm not going to argue with anyone who wishes to label Aubrey's outstanding performance vs Providence as covering both bases. But I like the concept that Kib seemed to have had in mind.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom