Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 749 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
The aac has already turned down uconn as a football only member…I doubt they would want us now..DB needs to think of a way to get more revenue when our football tv deal expires… I think he might have a plan in place with the rollout of uconn+

Reaction Score
anyone think we maybe should have stayed in the AAC? I get the basketball argument but at least we’d have a home for football. Plenty of other schools Tulane, Houston, UCF, Cinci made it work. Now look at them. Honestly maybe the problem was us.
Uconn had one shot at this. They took Louisville. Since then, nothing matters. What’s crazy is that moving back to the Big East helped us tremendously and killed us at same time. Networks have what they value for pennies on the dollar. No need to move us. I am at the point that I feel fortunate. As a 48 year old, I enjoyed UConn’s dominance and its spectacular ride in my prime. My guess is that in 15 years, UConn athletics are priced out, I am in my 60s and I relive the glory days contently on YouTube. So be it. We got a lifetime of memories in 25 years.

Reaction Score

ECU, Tulane & Tulsa joined the AAC in 2014, Navy joined the AAC in 2015, and Aresco is only now informally exploring Army. If true, I have clearly given Aresco too much credit in the past.
The aac has already turned down uconn as a football only member…I doubt they would want us now..DB needs to think of a way to get more revenue when our football tv deal expires… I think he might have a plan in place with the rollout of uconn+
So much has changed since UConn left the AAC that the AAC should be begging any takers to accept a football only deal. It's lost Louisville, Rutgers, UConn, Cincy, Houston, UCF, SMU. It will probably fall behind the Mountain West and the Sun Belt. Maybe even the MAC. It should go after independents Army, UConn, UMass, and perhaps other regional programs like Western Kentucky, Middle Tennesse, App State, Marshall.

Reaction Score
ECU, Tulane & Tulsa joined the AAC in 2014, Navy joined the AAC in 2015, and Aresco is only now informally exploring Army. If true, I have clearly given Aresco too much credit in the past.

So much has changed since UConn left the AAC that the AAC should be begging any takers to accept a football only deal. It's lost Louisville, Rutgers, UConn, Cincy, Houston, UCF, SMU. It will probably fall behind the Mountain West and the Sun Belt. Maybe even the MAC. It should go after independents Army, UConn, UMass, and perhaps other regional programs like Western Kentucky, Middle Tennesse, App State, Marshall.
Aresco should show vision and balls and grab Mt. Union.

Reaction Score
Hold on. When UConn did play rough, half this board, including you, lost your spit.

UConn's problem was geography. BCU convinced the ACC that it owned New England, and Syracuse convinced the ACC that they owned New York. Neither school will ever allow us in the ACC as a result, and that pretty much puts a stake in us with the ACC, which was always the most likely destination.
anyone think we maybe should have stayed in the AAC? I get the basketball argument but at least we’d have a home for football. Plenty of other schools Tulane, Houston, UCF, Cinci made it work. Now look at them. Honestly maybe the problem was us.
Leaving the AAC per se was not the problem. We had legitimate travel issues based on.the disappointing contract signed by that conference
However if we were even moderately competitive in that conference we possibly could have left with our dignity intact or even asked to stay as a FB only
But our much publicized withdrawal was widely perceived as a complete failure of that sport , Add to that the Randy hire perceived as cost saving move signaled our return to our core competence
A good hire in 2016 and moderate success and the world is a completely different place .

Reaction Score
However if we were even moderately competitive in that conference we possibly could have left with our dignity intact or even asked to stay as a FB only
In no universe was the AAC ever allowing UConn to be football only.

Reaction Score
They're adding one of the worst athletic department in the country when it comes to major sports, they don't care about sports at all, and they're getting an invite because.... they feel bad? Seriously it seems like Cal is getting a spot because people feel bad. It's so weird.
Cal has a lot of connections and the opportunity to rub elbows with Cal's academic side makes other university presidents, you know the folks making these decisions, pitch a tent.

Reaction Score
Does NC State flip its vote this morning if they were returning from a stinging loss in E. Hartford? I kid.

No, but I think it foretells a future split between the NC schools when UNC goes to the B1G and NC State goes to either the SEC or XII.

Reaction Score
We really probably shouldn’t have left the AAC. There are plenty of teams (JMU Tulane UTSA) that are having a ton of fun and great brand-building moments right now despite being in minor conferences.

And now I really don’t even blame the ACC and Big12 for not wanting us. This is fully self inflicted. We joined the AAC and just stopped caring about football for like a decade. Then we made a ton of noise to go to the big east - football be damned. And now we want other people in football centric conferences to take us seriously? I mean if I was a neutral observer - I certainly wouldn’t. It’s really upsetting to me that the 2014-2022 state and school administrations really ranked our long-term athletic prospects.

Reaction Score
No, but I think it foretells a future split between the NC schools when UNC goes to the B1G and NC State goes to either the SEC or XII.
Or will NC State find itself in the remains of the ACC with perhaps UConn in the mix.

Reaction Score
We really probably shouldn’t have left the AAC. There are plenty of teams (JMU Tulane UTSA) that are having a ton of fun and great brand-building moments right now despite being in minor conferences.

And now I really don’t even blame the ACC and Big12 for not wanting us. This is fully self inflicted. We joined the AAC and just stopped caring about football for like a decade. Then we made a ton of noise to go to the big east - football be damned. And now we want other people in football centric conferences to take us seriously? I mean if I was a neutral observer - I certainly wouldn’t. It’s really upsetting to me that the 2014-2022 state and school administrations really ranked our long-term athletic prospects.
We didn't stop caring about football for a decade but rather we hired 3 crappy/progressively worse coaches in a row.

Reaction Score

I think an argument could be made that we didn’t suddenly stop caring about football for ten years. That despite some success during Edsall’s first run , the UConn administration NEVER cared enough about football and now we are paying a heavy price. We heard the complaints during Edsall 1.0. We witnessed the incompetence of at least one AD. We were stupefied by 3 straight horrible head coach hires! All of this is very depressing for our fan base who care about all of UConn ‘s sports programs.

Reaction Score
We really probably shouldn’t have left the AAC.
Brett Yormark isn't even thinking about UConn if they didn't just go on that title run, which the Big East significantly helped bolster. I'm not even going to argue long term Big East viability but strictly in the short term being the last 5 years it was the correct decision in the moment and even more so in hindsight. It's not up for debate.

Reaction Score
Brett Yormark isn't even thinking about UConn if they didn't just go on that title run, which the Big East significantly helped bolster. I'm not even going to argue long term Big East viability but strictly in the short term being the last 5 years it was the correct decision in the moment and even more so in hindsight. It's not up for debate.
We’ll be back on his radar shortly. We’re going 9-3 in football this season.

Reaction Score
Hurley was responsible for the national championship hardly the so-called Big East. If we stayed in the AAC and had the likes of Hurley and Mora as coaches, we likely would be in the B12 now.

Reaction Score
We didn't stop caring about football for a decade but rather we hired 3 crappy/progressively worse coaches in a row.
Maybe they did care, but look at what happened. Hired Edsall 2.0 at about half the salary of the previous coach. That does not happen at any school. Had the head coach fund a pay raise for the OC out of his pocket. Left the AAC with a limited plan for football. Cancelled the 2020 football season. We pay both the men’s basketball coach and women’s basketball coach salaries that are not more, but multiple times what the head football coach makes.

How does that scream UConn cares about football?

Reaction Score
It was the best decision we could have made, but I don't think a lot of other ADs and conference commissioners understood the move at all.

it was unorthodox and a lot of these people don't think outside the box.

Reaction Score
Uconn had one shot at this. They took Louisville. Since then, nothing matters. What’s crazy is that moving back to the Big East helped us tremendously and killed us at same time. Networks have what they value for pennies on the dollar. No need to move us. I am at the point that I feel fortunate. As a 48 year old, I enjoyed UConn’s dominance and its spectacular ride in my prime. My guess is that in 15 years, UConn athletics are priced out, I am in my 60s and I relive the glory days contently on YouTube. So be it. We got a lifetime of memories in 25 years.
Ha. We are the same age basically. Barring a total shift in the paradigm, where like Nelson says streaming becomes the saving grace, UConn FB has till the mid 2030s to sink or swim. We've had a great run, we totally had the wrong people in charge at our most crucial time.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Maybe they did care, but look at what happened. Hired Edsall 2.0 at about half the salary of the previous coach. That does not happen at any school. Had the head coach fund a pay raise for the OC out of his pocket. Left the AAC with a limited plan for football. Cancelled the 2020 football season. We pay both the men’s basketball coach and women’s basketball coach salaries that are not more, but multiple times what the head football coach makes.

How does that scream UConn cares about football?

Define a "limited" plan for football?

The schedule improved off the bat and we secured a linear tv deal with CBS Sports Network as opposed to playing behind the ESPN+ Paywall?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom