Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 788 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
You are correct.

The B1G saw more value in playing additional conference games rather than play the Gavitt games and FOX apparently agreed.

Yet somehow you don’t see this as a negative
The B1G had no choice. Their decision to add USC, UCLA, Oregon and UW had nothing to do with “screw the Gavitt Games” it was all about football. This was just collateral damage.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
You are correct.

The B1G saw more value in playing additional conference games rather than play the Gavitt games and FOX apparently agreed.

They have 18 teams. They wanted to have more matchups against everybody in the league.

Reaction Score
To be honest- in no way shape or form do I see the state ponying up any money at all to support UConn football at the future state “power” level. They can’t even get money to run the program currently- the last HC had to pay an OC out of his own pocket and the current HC can’t afford to hire a DC with the existing budget. The basketball staff of 4 makes more money than the football staff of 11. Think about how hard that is to do from a sheer numbers standpoint. Then, on top of it, the coach is complaining publicly (and has been for weeks) that we have essentially zero donor support for NIL. There is no existing football NIL group to support UConn (although I am hearing rumblings this is finally in the works). Do you know how insane it is we still don’t have a dedicated football collective? The rules came out 3 years ago. It’s preposterous.

The state (and donor base) will absolutely pay through the nose to participate in what is “big time” college basketball. The question is- how much $ is that cost? Because if 20% of media deals are being rationed to basketball and teams in the B1G are taking 20% of their $100M/annual TV money and allocating a portion of that $20M to their players, that’s going to be really difficult to compete against factoring in the additional NIL money that will continue on top of these future revenue sharing payments to athletes.

We don’t even have the money to fix or rebuild our existing decrepit facilities and previously tried to go cheap out of paying the Kevin Ollie buyout because of the cost. I don’t know how much $ it will take to compete in future state high major basketball but there is a non-zero chance that (eventually) we are priced out if we don’t see a significant change in future revenues
We don't have a DC because Mora fell out with his choice and then felt he could handle it. The money was there as soon as Spanos got a new job. Our facilities are far from decrepit, they are P5 level. Heck a lot of P5 schools don't have indoor facilities.

For basketball, I'll just point to the fact that we got the best player of a big ten team to transfer to us as proof that we are able to compete with other power conferences.

Reaction Score
And FOX just stretched its budget by paying for a piece of the B12 expansion & is paying for most of the Oregon Washington move to the B1G.

How much money do they have left to spend in college sports?
Most of the big 10 games will be on the big ten network. The big 12 games they got will replace the PAC 12 games they are losing. Fox still needs the big east to fill their early slots.

Reaction Score
Most of the big 10 games will be on the big ten network. The big 12 games they got will replace the PAC 12 games they are losing. Fox still needs the big east to fill their early slots.
I have gone through the math multiple times on here, but it just doesn't sink in. The vast majority of Big 10, SEC, and ACC basketball games are shown on their conference networks. I have gone through all of the conferences and FOX lost the Pac 12 and will gain some Big 12 (# of games not determined yet) and if they lost BE basketball content it would create a big hole in their college basketball content. FOX has 1 potential conference tournament for the rest of this decade, the Big East.

As for ratings on FOX/FS1 comparing the Big 10 and Big East, it's comparing apples and oranges. Virtually ALL of the Big East games are on FOX/FS1/FS2 so you are going to have plenty of bad matchups. Virtually NONE of the Big 10 bad matchups are shown on FOX/FS1, they are shown on BTN. If you want to compare the ratings, take the ~30 Big 10 games shown on FOX/FS1 and compare them to the top 30 Big East games shown on FOX/FS1.

Reaction Score
You are correct.

there is some irony that the series named after Gavitt cancelled as a casualty of the "progress" of college football being that he is one of the architects of eastern football's failure.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
To be honest- in no way shape or form do I see the state ponying up any money at all to support UConn football at the future state “power” level. They can’t even get money to run the program currently- the last HC had to pay an OC out of his own pocket and the current HC can’t afford to hire a DC with the existing budget. The basketball staff of 4 makes more money than the football staff of 11. Think about how hard that is to do from a sheer numbers standpoint. Then, on top of it, the coach is complaining publicly (and has been for weeks) that we have essentially zero donor support for NIL. There is no existing football NIL group to support UConn (although I am hearing rumblings this is finally in the works). Do you know how insane it is we still don’t have a dedicated football collective? The rules came out 3 years ago. It’s preposterous.

The state (and donor base) will absolutely pay through the nose to participate in what is “big time” college basketball. The question is- how much $ is that cost? Because if 20% of media deals are being rationed to basketball and teams in the B1G are taking 20% of their $100M/annual TV money and allocating a portion of that $20M to their players, that’s going to be really difficult to compete against factoring in the additional NIL money that will continue on top of these future revenue sharing payments to athletes.

We don’t even have the money to fix or rebuild our existing decrepit facilities and previously tried to go cheap out of paying the Kevin Ollie buyout because of the cost. I don’t know how much $ it will take to compete in future state high major basketball but there is a non-zero chance that (eventually) we are priced out if we don’t see a significant change in future revenues
You are correct with your assessment on football and money. However, there is absolutely going to be a connection between football and basketball in the new College Sport world that will emerge in the next year or so. If UConn won't invest the money for football, they can kiss their bball good bye as well. This is the part that this school and fanbase can't/doesn't want to accept. Winning is amazing now, but when the rug is pulled out from under you because you let your FB team rot on the vine, reality is going to suck when you're left with the have nots and our current glory is history and memories.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
You are correct with your assessment on football and money. However, there is absolutely going to be a connection between football and basketball in the new College Sport world that will emerge in the next year or so. If UConn won't invest the money for football, they can kiss their bball good bye as well. This is the part that this school and fanbase can't/doesn't want to accept. Winning is amazing now, but when the rug is pulled out from under you because you let your FB team rot on the vine, reality is going to suck when you're left with the have nots and our current glory is history and memories.
100% People just don't understand.

Reaction Score
100% People just don't understand.
I think people understand just fine. What they don’t understand is how $1, 5 or 25 million more of deficit spending for football can be found in the couch cushions - and how that even gets you better results. Especially without a conference or natural rivalries. That money is being taken from somewhere or being charged to students and families. They have cut sports and are hitting up basketball fans to make it work now that men’s bb is back to greatness. Bodies in the seats and NIL money will have to come from individuals most invested in football and the overall health of the athletic program - clearly there’s a connection. Time will tell if there are enough of us. That is what makes this season a killer. And the urgency greater.

The finances are beyond challenging. It appears they can keep operating at this current loss, not more and not forever. Current administration is in a real pickle and the wave of a pen is not coming.

Reaction Score
I think people understand just fine. What they don’t understand is how $1, 5 or 25 million more of deficit spending for football can be found in the couch cushions - and how that even gets you better results. Especially without a conference or natural rivalries. That money is being taken from somewhere or being charged to students and families. They have cut sports and are hitting up basketball fans to make it work now that men’s bb is back to greatness. Bodies in the seats and NIL money will have to come from individuals most invested in football and the overall health of the athletic program - clearly there’s a connection. Time will tell if there are enough of us. That is what makes this season a killer. And the urgency greater.

The finances are beyond challenging. It appears they can keep operating at this current loss, not more and not forever. Current administration is in a real pickle and the wave of a pen is not coming.
Football is the largest potential incremental revenue generator for the AD and, you need to invest to improve the program and increase the revenues. Look at men's basketball. When they hired Hurley, they paid him about $2.8 million per year as they went after a proven successful coach. That is called investment in the program. They didn't say, Hurley, we will pay you $1.5 million and then we will pay you more when you win. The investment in the basketball program has paid off with a championship, higher attendance, and more donations. And, now Hurley makes $6 million.

As for funding football, it will have to come from many sources including the AD and donations from fans like us. With success will bring higher attendance/revenues and more donations.

Reaction Score

How about we take it from the pointless hockey program and the dumb $70M hockey shed that they built to put it in.

Reaction Score

$1.5M in NIL wouldn’t result in more deficit spending. NIL has to come from private sources.

Reaction Score
$1.5M in NIL wouldn’t result in more deficit spending. NIL has to come from private sources.
I understand all that completely. This is more of a response to the knee-jerkers who complain about “state support” of football and/or the AD finding more money for coaches, staff, stadiums, etc. Football is a never-ending arms race & at some point it has to win and build upon its own success. I’m still willing to be a tiny part of the road forward, but to ask the taxpayer or students/parents for more “because football drives the bus” gets old.

I would also add that other sports at UConn, including, soccer, hockey, baseball deserve their day in the sun given their current success and/or past support (including donors). A 70 mil. hockey rink? Maybe not. But competitive budgets and facilities? Absolutely. Fair is fair for these kids.

And I am well aware that a cratered football program puts the whole AD (and national championship bball) at risk. That is the main basis of my support. I hope the “football drives the bus” folks are continuing to give what they can - including to NIL

Reaction Score
I understand all that completely. This is more of a response to the knee-jerkers who complain about “state support” of football and/or the AD finding more money for coaches, staff, stadiums, etc. Football is a never-ending arms race & at some point it has to win and build upon its own success. I’m still willing to be a tiny part of the road forward, but to ask the taxpayer or students/parents for more “because football drives the bus” gets old.

I would also add that other sports at UConn, including, soccer, hockey, baseball deserve their day in the sun given their current success and/or past support (including donors). A 70 mil. hockey rink? Maybe not. But competitive budgets and facilities? Absolutely. Fair is fair for these kids.

And I am well aware that a cratered football program puts the whole AD (and national championship bball) at risk. That is the main basis of my support. I hope the “football drives the bus” folks are continuing to give what they can - including to NIL

Hockey is a disastrous waste. That Hockey Barn looks like a complete debacle.

If football were squared away we would be in a Power Conference for all sports and the precious hoop only fans could rest easy because our future would be far more relatively secure.

Reaction Score
Fanbase doesn’t get it.
I think many do. I think the biggest problem for UConn with NIL is leadership. Until Mora spoke up, there was very little leadership to help the fan base understand NIL and why it is important. If UConn had an athletics booster club, there would be a natural group that raises money for athletics and they could have provided leadership and marketing for setting up an NIL collective.

Reaction Score
Hockey is a disastrous waste. That Hockey Barn looks like a complete debacle.

If football were squared away we would be in a Power Conference for all sports and the precious hoop only fans could rest easy because our future would be far more relatively secure.
Make the case against the profligate build, sure. Crapping on the sport - especially when we’ve been good with poor facilities (this goes for several non-revenue sports) - is where we’ll part ways. There is a more direct line for a good facility and winning hockey (and I’m not invested in hockey) than taking that money (however that would work) and putting it into football infrastructure, such as coaches and staff. The track record on salary to performance for football assistants is not great, as has been bandied about ad nauseum this season. I think the case has been made for going 6-6 this year with the resources we have. And putting that 70 mil into The Rent or and other bricks & mortar doesn’t get you a win moving forward. The road forward is stable AD/state support and NIL. We don’t have to beggar other winning programs any more than we historically have.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom