Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 689 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Right now the perception is P5 > G5. Like it or not, regardless of athletic budget or the success of our sports teams, we are "G5" and therefore perceived as inferior. The four corners school made more geographic sense, if not strategic sense. They were a familiar choice by people who don't understand our program, our fan base, our history and our potential. I understand the decision, even if I don't agree with it.

I'm not sure that they "hurt their brand" so much as missed on an opportunity to maximize it.
I think we’re close to the same page.
If B1G and SEC keep going the way they are, the gap between P2 and rest will grow until they break away or a separate division is created. And the cream of the crop of this division will further try to separate themselves from the lower schools. Increasingly fan bases will be disgruntled by not winning - Nebraska, Missouri, Rutgers, Maryland. People always mention money, but throwing more money at others who have more money than you becomes futile and won’t produce wins.

Plus, there will be a huge number of sports fans of non P2 schools that will crave content. Creating a level below P2 (G5-8). That level below may give up on the whole conference GOR notion and develop their own revenue streams tied into new a technology. And with scheduling partnerships with schools of similar cultures. Just like the old conferences.

So would the likes of UNC and Virginia move their sports to a P2 only to lose their fan base. Not to mention in spite of revenue, how many do not make a profit? Also, what’s more important to the fan base? Winning or AD profitability?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Isn't the problem with your theory that the more P-4 schools who want to jump to the ACC, the less room they will have for non P-4 schools like us?

There are only going to be so many seats on the merry go round when consolidation continues. The fewer schools that are already on teh merry go round when they start taking seats away has to be to our advantage.
There should be plenty of spots if the ACC wants to compete with the other three conferences. My guess is 6-8 ACC schools end up leaving if the Big XII fills up. If it doesn't then it's probably 8-12 schools that leave.

UNC is gone. Florida state is gone. Clemson is gone. Miami is gone. Virginia and Virginia tech are probably gone too.

If the Big XII doesn't fill up then you're looking at 2-4 more ACC schools leaving and the remainder of the ACC is just BC, Wake, Cuse and maybe Duke. So that doesn't help us either.

Reaction Score
How much value are conferences creating by expanding? It's unclear. One thing we do know, in a 18 to 20 team Big 10, how many times will USC play Ohio State or Michigan in football? Does the market want a Washington vs Purdue game? And, before people say they will play more conference games, that would be a problem for schools like Ohio St., Michigan, and Penn State. Why? They have to have 7 home football games per year for budgetary reasons. If you played a 10 conference game schedule out of 12, you have 5 conference home games and 2 out of conference games. I guess they could play 2 G5 and or FCS home games per year to get to 7, but is that what the media companies want and how does that add value to the media contract?

Reaction Score

Dave Chappelle GIF

Reaction Score
Not so much as hurting it but they failed to help it. They had the chance to dominate hoops. And football - yeah Utah is real good now but how long will they be able to sustain that without access to Cal talent? Neon at CO will flop or bolt.
I don’t know if goku is real or not but if he reflects anything of KU’s fan base they are not happ

I’m assuming it was Michael Crow from ASU. BC is lucky that he is not an ACC president.

Reaction Score
And if FSU takes huge money from private equity, that is likely to happen.
…..and that’s OK. If a PE shop creates an SPV to house their investment, you’d expect the SPV to be taxed at some level.

Reaction Score
Despite championships within MBB and WBB within the purgatory years of the AAC, interest waned with no natural rivals to compete against. The games that mattered were those scheduled out of conference vs former Big East teams. KO did mismanage the program, but there was no juice there and interest waned because of the makeup of the opponents. Regional appeal matters, at least at the gate, and is more humane for the experience of who we still pretend to be “student athletes”.

The money is there now from standard media distribution, but it will not be the case in 10 years when streaming is the dominant form or some whacko ESPN brain implant comes to fruition. It’s not wrong to pursue entry into a P? Conference, but we must recognize it isn’t salvation over even a 20 year timeframe either. Change will be the only constant, history and tradition be damned.

As an aside it would be interesting to trace application numbers to UConn following championship years. Is winning a better bump to the bottom line and prestige of a university that helps academics, or is the conference a better engine to attract better students and research funding, or is it all mutually exclusive. There’s a PHD thesis out there for someone interested at investigating these dynamics and ultimately what success or membership brings to an higher education institution.
There’s no doubt that having a successful athletic department creates benefits for the university as a whole. I applied to Duke as their basketball program was gaining prominence and was unceremoniously rejected despite my stellar credentials.:)

Reaction Score

Dang that's brutal. This conference realignment stuff is really getting out of hand. I wonder how many ppl will just get sick of it and say screw college sports or, eventually get bored of it. Not everyone in these inflated conferences can win. What happens when Texas or usc have .500 seasons? Or worse. At this point I hope the descion makers completely fumble this whole scheme.

Reaction Score
it’s funny that the B10 took the “valuable” Pac schools, and the rest couldn’t get a good offer. But now they’re all gonna get paid more in the B12 for some reason? Conference Realignment really isn’t based on anything.

It's not so much about individual teams as it is the matchups of games played and the combined following of the two teams who are playing who will generate the ratings of the game. It's hard to generate higher ratings when you have a lesser following and playing a team who has a lesser following and those teams are both in the Pacific Time Zone playing when half of America is asleep.

Reaction Score
Does anyone think the Big XII is going to expand with 2 more teams? Or is that a pipe dream?

Reaction Score
More on the Rutgers move. Some of these additions are going to look terrible pretty soon.

“We basically had a 400 percent increase (in network revenue),” Delany says of the Maryland/Rutgers impact. “We went from about $50 million a year to about $200 million a year annual average value. That makes everybody’s eyes pop.”

Doesn't sound like it was a terrible decision to me.

Rutgers had the steepest hill to climb of anyone. They have made - and continue to make - improvements and investments into their facilities. Will it work? Who knows. Doesn't really matter. Not every addition can be a grand slam. Some of these schools have to pile up the losses because not everyone can go 12-0. Every conference needs bottom feeders to feed the middle-tier and top-tier teams.

Reaction Score
“We basically had a 400 percent increase (in network revenue),” Delany says of the Maryland/Rutgers impact. “We went from about $50 million a year to about $200 million a year annual average value. That makes everybody’s eyes pop.”

Doesn't sound like it was a terrible decision to me.

Rutgers had the steepest hill to climb of anyone. They have made - and continue to make - improvements and investments into their facilities. Will it work? Who knows. Doesn't really matter. Not every addition can be a grand slam. Some of these schools have to pile up the losses because not everyone can go 12-0. Every conference needs bottom feeders to feed the middle-tier and top-tier teams.
Send this to the guy who wrote the article. We don't care.

Reaction Score

Cal and Stanford need to swallow their pride and call up Yormark now. joining the beefed up big12 is preferable to going indy in football and parking all their olympic sports in the WCC. cmon now.

Reaction Score
Cal and Stanford need to swallow their pride and call up Yormark now. joining this beefed up big12 is preferable to going indy and football and parking all their olympic sports in the WCC. cmon now.
PAC schools look stupid badmouthing Big12 academics only to come crawling back with hat in hand.

Reaction Score
Cal and Stanford need to swallow their pride and call up Yormark now. joining the beefed up big12 is preferable to going indy in football and parking all their olympic sports in the WCC. cmon now.
Preferable to whom? You don't think Cal and Stanford are capable of determining which of the horrific choices left to them are in the best interests of their institution?

Reaction Score
Preferable to whom? You don't think Cal and Stanford are capable of determining which of the horrific choices left to them are in the best interests of their institution?
yeah ledecky and kerri walsh wouldve signed up to swim and play volleyball in the west coast conference. k.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom