Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 594 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Every university in the USA has degraded since 2008. U. Cal-Berkeley's President's words to the incoming freshman: "You will pay so much more for an education in the Cal System than your parents did and you will get so much less."

It's a war of attrition. Remember when UAB dropped football a few years ago? Only to have alumni and politicos force them to put it back? I can only imagine the massacres inside that university.

As UConn tops out its tuition, it has less and less wiggle room.

I wrote in an earlier thread about the budget that when people look at the $1B in expenditures, they conclude $50m is only 5%, but the truth is that the fungible part of the school's budget is teeny. Entire colleges inside run on less than that. It's a problem.
It is possible for a University to hold the line on spending and tuition increases.
I have 2 kids at a large state University that has not raised tuition $1.00 in 12 years- It can be done and still provide a high quality education.

Reaction Score
I can always tap the "just went to back-to-back Rose Bowls" argument again, if youd prefer
And watch what happens to Utah if they get relegated to the MWC. They’ll go back to being nobodies. Winning in a P5 conference is not that hard.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Only on here are people genuinely dismissing the credentials of Utah, a school that just went to back-to-back Rose Bowls, went as far in the WBB tournament as we did and has a solid MBB history.

Try looking around, guys.
They certainly would be a better take than ASU even with BYU covering the market area.

ASU will always be beholden to U of A because Yormack wants U of A almost as badly as he wants UConn and to get both there was a need for a fourth school immediatly. U of A got the option of selecting between Utah and ASU but not the option of selecting both ASU and Utah.

Reactions: DGB

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Duh. But you do get 2-3 Kansas/UConn games which is likely equal to BYU/Utah
And UConn / Arizona basketball 2-3 times. Plus all the ranked UConn v TBD games that will draw well.

Giving mountain/central teams incremental exposure in the northeast a few times a year.

I think this is a pretty easy call. What I'm hoping is the AZ/ASU being tied at the hip to UT is more a cover from the AZ schools...hey we tried. I've seen nothing positive from Utah about them moving or taking steps to do so.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
And watch what happens to Utah if they get relegated to the MWC. They’ll go back to being nobodies. Winning in a P5 conference is not that hard.

...they won a Fiesta Bowl in the MWC and had a damn Olympics hosted at their stadium? And may again in 2032?

They aren't Idaho, guys.

If you wanna be confused by a move, be confused by Arizona State or Colorado!

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Duh. But you do get 2-3 Kansas/UConn games which is likely equal to BYU/Utah

Its really not likely equal to that. I wish it was, but football rates drastically higher.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I think I was first here to say that I'll feel bad for Utah if they get left out because I do think they've done everything right.

But it's still a weird add from the perspective of the Big XII. They already have the state locked down.
That's been said somewhere between one and three thousand posts ago. But I do believe you are the second.

Reaction Score
Its really not likely equal to that. I wish it was, but football rates drastically higher.
The best holy war ratings ever were like 3.5 million viewers. And that's the best. Average is 3mm or less. Ranked Kansas vs ranked UConn will pull close to a million viewers.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
BYU has their own national TV network. Do you think all Mormons live only in Utah?
International I believe. More Mormons live outside our country than in.

Reaction Score
The best holy war ratings ever were like 3.5 million viewers. And that's the best. Average is 3mm or less. Ranked Kansas vs ranked UConn will pull close to a million viewers.
Little known fact, the DePaul v. Creighton Christmas game this past season brought in 3 million TV viewers.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
ASU is strictly a University of Arizona play. For some reason they seem to really want Arizona despite their not so stellar sports.
U of A is a basketball and market play like us. Men's bb is a solid program. Second best game I attended was U of A at Gampel. Second only to Kansas at the Civic Center.

Reaction Score
It would be really funny if the opposite happens and ASU makes Arizona stay in the PAC. Maybe they can just take long enough that the Big XII moves on us.

It certainly looks like the Board of Trustees, which oversees both U of A and ASU, will keep them both or move them both. Either way leaves the XII with an odd number. So we would have two ways to get in: the XII preferring us to Utah, or U of A and ASU staying Pac and Utah deciding to stay with them.

Reaction Score
It is possible for a University to hold the line on spending and tuition increases.
I have 2 kids at a large state University that has not raised tuition $1.00 in 12 years- It can be done and still provide a high quality education.
Spending hasn't increased beyond inflation. Expenditures go up in normal increments. Tuition has far surpassed inflation because of the huge drops in state subsidy. In fact, in California, you can compare the drop in subsidy per student to the rise in tuition almost dollar for dollar.

Universities aren't advertising this but education is absolutely eroding in this country. This is a thing that is almost universally acknowledged by people inside universities.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
In mid June you knew the P-12 was six weeks away from imploding?

It wasn't far fetched to think it. "Knew" may be too strong a word, but I think most people "knew" that if Colorado left and the media rights deal was low, the conferennce would be on life support.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tmirm0279

Top Bottom