Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 388 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
All of this money the B1G will be raking in, but they are killing the fun and tradition of the game. Games on Thursday nights? Good luck tailgating at that one. No more ESPN games? Good bye regular visits by College Game Day or anything more than a passing mention of your games on the nation's preeminent pregame show. Sorry but BTN's pre-game tailgate show that tries to compete is super lame.

Reaction Score
All of this money the B1G will be raking in, but they are killing the fun and tradition of the game. Games on Thursday nights? Good luck tailgating at that one. No more ESPN games? Good bye regular visits by College Game Day or anything more than a passing mention of your games on the nation's preeminent pregame show. Sorry but BTN's pre-game tailgate show that tries to compete is super lame.
I know next week's Penn State - Purdue game is a sellout in West Lafayette

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It doesn’t feel like it’s a rivalry game. Is it the start of the season, or just general fan support?

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
It doesn’t feel like it’s a rivalry game. Is it the start of the season, or just general fan support?

Many of the Big10 schools just sell out their stadiums. PSU, OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska and MSU all regularly are at full capacity. Even for lousy games, they still sell out. The other Big10 schools (sans Rutgers) all have decent attendance as well. Michigan, OSU, Wisconsin, Nebraska and PSU all travel well and sell out many opposing stadiums. The other schools fight to get them on their schedule because they are guaranteed sell outs. There are Big10 alumni over the world and they watch their sports.

Games at USC and UCLA will be packed for those schools. It’s why I don’t think there will be any divisions for football. Too much money to be made in ticket sales and concessions in LA.

Many of people that aren’t from the Midwest don’t understand how important sports are to us and how big football really is. I know that Detroit is known as Hockeytown, but football is king here. If (huge, huge if) the Lions actually do something, the celebration will last for days. Many states struggle supporting 1 college program while Michigan supports a pro team, 2 Big10 teams, 3 MAC teams (2 of which get decent attendance) and numerous division II and III programs, several of which have won NC’s in their respective divisions. That’s just Michigan.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Thursday is the new Friday. When you get a football schedule months out, most of college football loving people find a way to get there and enjoy the pregame.

College football Thursday night on ESPN was a wasteland when it started and then it started to gain some ground. Took NFL about 5 minutes to realize Thursday night football will draw eyes. Once NFL started Thursday games, college football went back to scheduling more obscure games. You won't see a marquee college game going head to head with the NFL.

I don't watch much ESPN Game Day but do agree Fox's pregame show is horrible.

Reaction Score
When they have those big OSU-PSU white out matchups that were typical on Saturday nights that will now move to NBC, will the lead in be Golden Girls or Matlock reruns or maybe a little Lester Holt to get you hyped?

Reaction Score
Not a rivalry game- but National TV Penn State v Purdue. All students are wearing black to counter Penn State white out game

dayooper

Reaction Score
When they have those big OSU-PSU white out matchups that were typical on Saturday nights that will now move to NBC, will the lead in be Golden Girls or Matlock reruns or maybe a little Lester Holt to get you hyped?

Huh? That game could be on The Hallmark channel and it would get numbers. Big10 fans would find that in a heartbeat. You could play The Bridges of Madison County before and OSU/PSU fans would be hyped.

Reaction Score
The lead in will be a Notre Dame game

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Huh? That game could be on The Hallmark channel and it would get numbers. Big10 fans would find that in a heartbeat. You could play The Bridges of Madison County before and OSU/PSU fans would be hyped.
The lead in will be a Notre Dame game

Whether it's Golden Girls, Bridges of Madison Country or ND football, that's basically the same demographic.

Reaction Score
Won't Herbie and Desmond be sad that they can no longer cover their teams?

Reaction Score
I think this is huge. Entering early negotiations tells me that The Big12 will survive and be the depository for the excess PAC schools not in the P2.
My guess is the Big 10 wants the Big 12 to make the next move and than the Big can go for their desired schools.

dayooper

Reaction Score
My guess is the Big 10 wants the Big 12 to make the next move and than the Big can go for their desired schools.

Could be. I think there’s money to be saved in consolidating the 2. While there are some brands that aren’t great in the Big12, having schools in 3 or 4 (depending on who goes where) time zones will be a huge benefit to the media partners. The exit fee of the Big12 seemingly has done its job and prevented the break up the conference. Using the Big12 brand instead of the PAC brand leads me to believe that the PAC is losing schools.

I think the only 2 that are a possibility to move to the Big10 are Oregon and Washington. That puts 4 into the Pacific time zone making a nice late game set. Then again, ESPN could be wanting to just use the Big12 with that late game. I would assume games against the Big10 teams would get better ratings than Big12 teams, but I’m not sure they want to spend the money.

Reaction Score
I never realized how valuable Washington was until this past two months. Oregon and Washington would be good fits for the B1G.

I don’t see how the B1G could pass on Stanford and Cal. Sure, they aren’t big football brands, but their academics and research would put them at the top of the B1G. It would also lock down the State of California for the B1G. San Diego State may find itself in the PAC 12 or Big 12, but it won’t carry California anymore than Cincinnati can carry Ohio.

dayooper

Reaction Score
I never realized how valuable Washington was until this past two months. Oregon and Washington would be good fits for the B1G.

I don’t see how the B1G could pass on Stanford and Cal. Sure, they aren’t big football brands, but their academics and research would put them at the top of the B1G. It would also lock down the State of California for the B1G. San Diego State may find itself in the PAC 12 or Big 12, but it won’t carry California anymore than Cincinnati can carry Ohio.

Eh, would Stanford and Cal bring any conference California by themselves? Not sure they would.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Eh, would Stanford and Cal bring any conference California by themselves? Not sure they would.

No, but since USC and UCLA will already be members, the addition of Stanford and Cal absolutely locks down Cali for the B1G.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom