Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 318 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
ACC tax return shows 7.4-percent revenue decline but...

I think it was on this board (and likely on others) where our ACC friends, after boasting of there numbers, were reminded that last year's numbers were skewed by:

The decrease was caused by two factors: Maryland's one-time, $31.4 penalty for leaving the ACC for the Big Ten inflated 2014-15 revenue. Plus, in 2015-16 the Orange Bowl, the ACC's contract bowl, hosted a College Football Playoff semifinal, and in such seasons, the conference receives less money.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I wish our conference had a bad year and "only" gave each school an average of $23 million.
They are the lil' brother clamoring for recognition. We're on the outside looking in. No doubt they are in the better position.

Reaction Score
The ACC still received $60 million more as a conference than the Big 12....but the Big 12 has 10 mouths to feed vs 14...

Thus the Big 12 could not, would not expand because of that differential and the fact that they could not feed new mouths...

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Swofford’s comment about “adding another school” for divisional balance should the Irish come in is new, although not unexpected. UConn would be the most likely candidate to be mentioned for that 16th ACC spot due to its athletic and academic profile and geography.

However, if the ACC ever landed college football’s great green whale – Notre Dame – the increased value, branding and profile the Irish would bring the league would put it on an even footing with the Big Ten and SEC. Don’t rule out Texas as a potential ACC add if that were ever to happen. While geographically mismatched, Texas’ academic and athletic profile fit the ACC perfectly and the ACC could be more willing to acquiesce to Texas’ in finding a solution for how to accommodate its Longhorn Network than the SEC or Big Ten.

Reaction Score

Tim Brando‏ @TimBrando 27m 27 minutes ago
I repeat the notion that no discussions about full membership have taken place are simply wrong. They had to take place. Context matters.

Adam‏ @HoneyRoyPalmer 25m 25 minutes ago
Replying to @TimBrando
If, in theory, ND ever did join the ACC, any idea which school they'd consider for their 16th spot?

Tim Brando‏ @TimBrando 77 minutes ago
Replying to @HoneyRoyPalmer
Yes.UCONN. It may take a while, but ND is leaving a lotta cash on the table with Independence.Next few FB seasons will determine fate.

Reaction Score
Oklahoma isn't going anywhere until Texas says it's time.

I think if Oklahoma could get into the Big 10 and reunite with Nebraska, that would look awfully good to them right now. And the Big 10 would probably like to have Oklahoma to beef up their western division.

Reaction Score
There are a few ACC schools looking at these numbers and asking themselves if they really want to compete with SEC & B1G schools that are going to be making $20+MM more a year or whether it makes sense to join them.

The ACC apologists will tell us AGAIN, about how ESPN has promised a network by 2019 and how that will bring the revenue numbers more in line. Until it launches I will continue to call BS.

I think these numbers are telling everyone that there will likely be 1 more shakeup in the CR landscape. With all the TV contracts expiring around the same time I believe that the SEC & B1G will cherry pick the last couple schools they want to fill their dance card and leave everyone else to scramble.

Reaction Score
What do you want athletic department revenue for?

To field teams that are competitive...the ACC has done well with that...football and basketball national championships in the same school year...9-3 bowl record.

No need to be an apologist for this conference.

Next year, the Big 12 won't look as good against the ACC...

This year, the Orange Bowl was a playoff bowl...and the conference did not get that revenue...next year the Big 12's contract bowl is a playoff bowl so they won't collect the $40 million that they did this year but $6 million...while the ACC will get their contract bowl amount...it's a three year cycle.

The Big 12 has their deal with the devil...10 mouths to feed...for all the good and the bad that comes with being significantly smaller than the other P5 conferences.

Reaction Score
What do you want athletic department revenue for?

To field teams that are competitive...the ACC has done well with that...football and basketball national championships in the same school year...9-3 bowl record.

No need to be an apologist for this conference.

Next year, the Big 12 won't look as good against the ACC...

This year, the Orange Bowl was a playoff bowl...and the conference did not get that revenue...next year the Big 12's contract bowl is a playoff bowl so they won't collect the $40 million that they did this year but $6 million...while the ACC will get their contract bowl amount...it's a three year cycle.

The Big 12 has their deal with the devil...10 mouths to feed...for all the good and the bad that comes with being significantly smaller than the other P5 conferences.

And yet, here you are.

Reaction Score
Got to provide some facts...I understand the need for schadenfreude, but perspective is also important.

Reaction Score
I think if Oklahoma could get into the Big 10 and reunite with Nebraska, that would look awfully good to them right now. And the Big 10 would probably like to have Oklahoma to beef up their western division.
The Big Ten wouldn't invite Oklahoma, they're not an AAU member and are light years away from ever becoming an AAU member, and their academic ranking at 111 is not up to Big Ten standards.

Reaction Score
The Big Ten wouldn't invite Oklahoma, they're not an AAU member and are light years away from ever becoming an AAU member, and their academic ranking at 111 is not up to Big Ten standards.

People need to get over the idea that AAU Membership is a requirement for B1G Membership. This is simply not true. Its a strong preference, but lack of membership alone will not disqualify a school from being accepted. Nebraska was invited with full knowledge by conference members that a movement to have their AAU Membership revoked was ongoing. ND remains a candidate in perpetuity and The Irish will never be affiliated with the AAU for a myriad of reasons.

Oklahoma is a good school, a state flagship, and they bring a national brand in football to the table. Potentially the most important thing of all is that they could be the carrot at the end of the stick used to lure Texas. Delany would give his left arm to get The Horns into the conference. If UCONN had the same type of relationship with ND, UNC or some other highly coveted prospect in the manner OU does with UT, I suspect they would be viewed in an even more flattering light.

Reaction Score
Got to provide some facts...I understand the need for schadenfreude, but perspective is also important.
I think there is no question that the ACC is a wonderful conference and UConn would be a very proud and contributory member to its continued success. However, to keep rubbing in to UConn fans here how bad UConn is and how they were not selected in FSU's interest, just reeks. That is why you sometimes get such a bronx cheer welcome here. Most people here realize that with changing climate of CR and cable networks, it is now unlikely that UConn will get out of the G5. It is very difficult to accept being demoted and you need to really understand the vitriol that comes your way.

Reaction Score
People need to get over the idea that AAU Membership is a requirement for B1G Membership. This is simply not true. Its a strong preference, but lack of membership alone will not disqualify a school from being accepted. Nebraska was invited with full knowledge by conference members that a movement to have their AAU Membership revoked was ongoing. ND remains a candidate in perpetuity and The Irish will never be affiliated with the AAU for a myriad of reasons.

Oklahoma is a good school, a state flagship, and they bring a national brand in football to the table. Potentially the most important thing of all is that they could be the carrot at the end of the stick used to lure Texas. Delany would give his left arm to get The Horns into the conference. If UConn had the same type of relationship with ND, UNC or some other highly coveted prospect in the manner OU does with UT, I suspect they would be viewed in an even more flattering light.
Jim Delaney would have to be crazy to invite Oklahoma. They are known cheaters, paying recruits, etc going all the way back to the Barry Switzer years, and even as recently as 2005 the NCAA forced them to forfeit all their wins. Add to that their academic ranking stinks. I will say that if Texas wanted in the Big Ten, they probably would get an invite, their academic ranking is very good and they are an AAU member, only sticking point might be Longhorn TV. Forget Oklahoma, they're the Big 12's version of Louisville.

Reaction Score
Forget Oklahoma, they're the Big 12's version of Louisville.

WVU is the Big 12's version of Louisville. Oklahoma is so much better than the two of those loser schools.

Reaction Score
Jim Delaney would have to be crazy to invite Oklahoma. They are known cheaters, paying recruits, etc going all the way back to the Barry Switzer years, and even as recently as 2005 the NCAA forced them to forfeit all their wins. Add to that their academic ranking stinks. I will say that if Texas wanted in the Big Ten, they probably would get an invite, their academic ranking is very good and they are an AAU member, only sticking point might be Longhorn TV. Forget Oklahoma, they're the Big 12's version of Louisville.

You have a strange view of Oklahoma, but having read this board now for the last few years I find your viewpoint on the majority of things to be strange. Louisville dreams it could be a university of the stature of Oklahoma both on the field and in the classroom.

Reaction Score
You have a strange view of Oklahoma, but having read this board now for the last few years I find your viewpoint on the majority of things to be strange. Louisville dreams it could be a university of the stature of Oklahoma both on the field and in the classroom.
Louisville is actually not that far behind Oklahoma. You want stature in a school, why don't you check the school who's board you're trolling right now. Of course I mean UCONN which has a more than respectable academic ranking of 60, but hey Oklahoma's is 111 and Louisville's is 171. That's just the academics, ask Barry Switzer how much cash was given to recruits in plain envelopes or how many wins Oklahoma got credit for in 2005. Oh yeah, the Big Ten wants them desperately. Or ask Rick Pitino how many whores he hired for the recruiting parties.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom