2020 Recruiting: - Kevin Marfo (QU) to Grad Transfer | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Kevin Marfo (QU) to Grad Transfer

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
You are severely underestimating the talent we have on the team coming back next year. I'd even venture to say you're forgetting that good players improve under a good coach year to year
Maybe. However I think the potential is excellent, but that they have a way to go in development. Remember your best returning player was 3rd team all conference. Development has been my theme in the string of these posts. The tougher battles of the NBE is exactly what we need at this time to achieve the next level.

To state it clearly, the talent is here and coming to take us to perennial top 5. What we need now is the increase in difficulty to promote the development necessary to get there. I Imagine we will still lose around 8 games next year, but the losses will be better because of the stiffer opposition. To me the UConn goals should be 1) conference championship, 2) conference tourney championship, 3) NCAA championship. I do not believe that we are close to any of those goals as currently constituted. We'll be closer after next year and possibly at the conference level the year after.

Reaction Score
Maybe. However I think the potential is excellent, but that they have a way to go in development. Remember your best returning player was 3rd team all conference. Development has been my theme in the string of these posts. The tougher battles of the NBE is exactly what we need at this time to achieve the next level.

To state it clearly, the talent is here and coming to take us to perennial top 5. What we need now is the increase in difficulty to promote the development necessary to get there. I Imagine we will still lose around 8 games next year, but the losses will be better because of the stiffer opposition. To me the UConn goals should be 1) conference championship, 2) conference tourney championship, 3) NCAA championship. I do not believe that we are close to any of those goals as currently constituted. We'll be closer after next year and possibly at the conference level the year after.
If we lose 8 games next year we're a top 25 team. There were 4 Big East teams with around 8 losses (2 with 7, 2 with 9). Those teams were ranked 9, 10, 15, 21 in the final top 25

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
If we lose 8 games next year we're a top 25 team. There were 4 Big East teams with around 8 losses (2 with 7, 2 with 9). Those teams were ranked 9, 10, 15, 21 in the final top 25
Do you think we meet the goals I delineated with 8 losses. If we do not take a transfer, but spend the minutes to develop the current talent, perhaps the year after we are in the 3-5 loss range. that is competing for championships and it would be my preferred goal over a couple of wins garnered by a 1 year stud. But it is all speculation at this time. Perhaps the 1 year stud is a great role model and expedites the development process. We don't really know anything at this time do we.

Reaction Score
Do you think we meet the goals I delineated with 8 losses. If we do not take a transfer, but spend the minutes to develop the current talent, perhaps the year after we are in the 3-5 loss range. that is competing for championships and it would be my preferred goal over a couple of wins garnered by a 1 year stud. But it is all speculation at this time. Perhaps the 1 year stud is a great role model and expedites the development process. We don't really know anything at this time do we.
Yes I think if make the right additions we'll be a top 3 or 4 team in the Big East next year and compete for the regular season and conference championships

Reaction Score
His teammate Rich Kelly is grad transferring too. 16.7/4.5/2.5 on 42/39/89 shooting. May as well grab them and call it a year.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
We don't even know if Akok will be back next year, our best rebounder is graduating, and our next best rebound will be a sophomore guard.
Neither CV nor JB was our best rebounder. Six-point-three is a great rebound average for a guard, and there's no doubt CV was a great rebounder for us. But he had the benefit of having a bucketload of minutes to collect rebounds.
But Whaley easily led the team in rebounding once he got more than token minutes. Isiah averaged over 8 per game from 2/1 through the end of the season. Just under nine, if you don't count the Cincinnati game where he only played 15 minutes.
During the same stretch of games, Bouk averaged 5. Again, great for a guard, but he also had way more court time than Whaley.

Reaction Score
Neither CV nor JB was our best rebounder. Six-point-three is a great rebound average for a guard, and there's no doubt CV was a great rebounder for us. But he had the benefit of having a bucketload of minutes to collect rebounds.
But Whaley easily led the team in rebounding once he got more than token minutes. Isiah averaged over 8 per game from 2/1 through the end of the season. Just under nine, if you don't count the Cincinnati game where he only played 15 minutes.
During the same stretch of games, Bouk averaged 5. Again, great for a guard, but he also had way more court time than Whaley.

Defensive rebounding %
Marfo - 34.2 (1st in the country)
Whaley - 18.3 (378)
Vital - 18.1 (399)
Carlton - 17.9 (425)
Akok - 17.3 (483)
Wilson - 11.8
Bouknight - 11.3

Offensive rebounding %
Marfo - 18.5 (2nd in the country)
Carlton - 14.7 (20)
Whaley - 11.9 (97)
Wilson - 7.1
Bouknight - 6.8
Akok - 5.2
Vital - 4.3

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
When a guard has high rebound totals like that, it’s typically due to the big men being great at boxing out. This was more so true for Bazz who benefited from Nolan and Olander sticking their asses into opponents. CV went into traffic and lept over people and banged for in traffic rebounds. It’ll be interesting to see if Whaley does get to start for a full season what his stats look like.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Defensive rebounding %
Marfo - 34.2 (1st in the country)
Whaley - 18.3 (378)
Vital - 18.1 (399)
Carlton - 17.9 (425)
Akok - 17.3 (483)
Wilson - 11.8
Bouknight - 11.3

Offensive rebounding %
Marfo - 18.5 (2nd in the country)
Carlton - 14.7 (20)
Whaley - 11.9 (97)
Wilson - 7.1
Bouknight - 6.8
Akok - 5.2
Vital - 4.3

IF Marfo was a floor space he would be an absolute no brainer...

but he’s only an ok ft shooter so it’s questionable if he can extend his range like that

Reaction Score
IF Marfo was a floor space he would be an absolute no brainer...

but he’s only an ok ft shooter so it’s questionable if he can extend his range like that
I went to two QU games this year (the arena is a couple miles from my house) and Marfo hit a three in one of them. I got really excited, but then looked it up and saw that it was the first made three of his career in three total attempts. Definitely not much of a floor spacer.

the Q

Reaction Score
71% on 6 FT attempts per game is exceptional for a big man of his size and stature.

I like the attempts per game, a lot.

And it’s fine for a center. And he would absolutely bring value to the team.

but it’s still not good to project him as a 3 point shooter.

he adds similar skills as the other centers. We need some spacing.

Reaction Score
I like the attempts per game, a lot.

And it’s fine for a center. And he would absolutely bring value to the team.

but it’s still not good to project him as a 3 point shooter.

he adds similar skills as the other centers. We need some spacing.
Yes, unlikely he can space the floor with his shot. However, if he’s a big that’s comfortable on the perimeter that’ll go a long way.

Whaley just tweeted out his excitement for the biggest offseason of his life. Wouldn’t be shocked to see him really add to his game with a more solid mid-range shot.

Reaction Score
We looking to find the next Sam Perkins with this scholarship? Guys, this dude is a strong, space eater and terrific rebounder. We struggled badly with strength last year (see Igbanu from Tulsa)...he would help us immensely there. Even BY's favorite son Whaley was dominated by Igbanu, and the hope is that Carlton slims down even further next season. Springs or Brown-Ferguson won't help next year in this regard either.

He doesn't need to be a superstar for us. If he can be a 20 mpg type guy and get in the 4/5 mix with Carlton, Whaley, and Springs, we'll be in solid shape down low. Add in Akok when he comes back and we're very deep. I don't think Brown-Ferguson should redshirt in this day and age, but I look at next year as mostly a developmental year for him. Perfect roster for me at this juncture would be....

PG - Cole, Gaffney
SG - Bouknight, Adams
SF - Nolley, Jackson, (Polley)
PF - Marfo, Springs, (Akok)
C- Whaley, Carlton, Brown-Ferguson

Extremely talented and dangerous team especially once Polley and Akok are back fully healthy. Polley could very well be back 100% by the start of the season. The biggest challenge here would be defining roles and the players buying into them, but that's Hurley's job. The cream will rise to the top and the internal competition should make the team better.

Reaction Score
13272t.jpg

Question, what number is higher? 8 or 13? Asking for a friend.

the Q

Reaction Score
We looking to find the next Sam Perkins with this scholarship? Guys, this dude is a strong, space eater and terrific rebounder. We struggled badly with strength last year (see Igbanu from Tulsa)...he would help us immensely there. Even BY's favorite son Whaley was dominated by Igbanu, and the hope is that Carlton slims down even further next season. Springs or Brown-Ferguson won't help next year in this regard either.

He doesn't need to be a superstar for us. If he can be a 20 mpg type guy and get in the 4/5 mix with Carlton, Whaley, and Springs, we'll be in solid shape down low. Add in Akok when he comes back and we're very deep. I don't think Brown-Ferguson should redshirt in this day and age, but I look at next year as mostly a developmental year for him. Perfect roster for me at this juncture would be....

PG - Cole, Gaffney
SG - Bouknight, Adams
SF - Nolley, Jackson, (Polley)
PF - Marfo, Springs, (Akok)
C- Whaley, Carlton, Brown-Ferguson

Extremely talented and dangerous team especially once Polley and Akok are back fully healthy. Polley could very well be back 100% by the start of the season. The biggest challenge here would be defining roles and the players buying into them, but that's Hurley's job. The cream will rise to the top and the internal competition should make the team better.

i agree with a lot of this. But I think if you bring in marlo, then carltons minutes are going down.Especially with Jackson and nolley able to be stretch 4s.

but man we’d have some size and toughness at the 5

totally agreed about Igbanu types giving us fits.

Reaction Score
i agree with a lot of this. But I think if you bring in marlo, then carltons minutes are going down.Especially with Jackson and nolley able to be stretch 4s.

but man we’d have some size and toughness at the 5

totally agreed about Igbanu types giving us fits.

Agreed on Carlton, and I'm OK with that. The positions I notated were primary positions, but many are interchangeable. Marfo would definitely play his fair share of 5, Nolley small ball 4, Bouk 3, etc.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I love all of the wild speculation and hyperbole in these recruiting threads. Seriously. It beats reading the news.

I'm tired and too lazy to search it out. Can someone please educate me on what has to happen when re:
  • When do they have to make a decision about possibly redshirting Akok (or Polley for that matter)
  • And what are the big recruiting and xfer deadlines
...please carry on. We don't have toilet paper but we've still got popcorn and this is all pretty entertaining.

On edit: take my advice, salted, buttered popcorn is not a desirable substitute for Tyler Phommachanh

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When do they have to make a decision about possibly redshirting Akok (or Polley for that matter)
Remember, all athletes have 5 years to complete 4 years of athletics. So UConn has no date they need to make a decision. They could just hold out either or both of them all season and it automatically becomes a redshirt year. The only issue with Akok is that he burned a year coming to UConn last year for the 2nd semester. So if he was to stay for 6 years, highly doubt he would under any circumstances anyway (he'd be about 25 or 26 years old by then), he would have to petition the NCAA to play in that 6th year.

Reaction Score
Etienne doesn't make us better in 2020. Save him for 2021. Would love another big body in 2020 but if we have to get by with the guys we got, I think we can do it. We add Springs and Javonte Brown Ferguson to the same crew we had last year, and could still play some small ball with guys like Polley and if we get him, Nolley at the 4.

Would still take a Sanogo reclass as I do think he could contribute year one. Would also take Bruner. Not sure if there's another big possibility at this point.

Reaction Score
Etienne doesn't make us better in 2020. Save him for 2021. Would love another big body in 2020 but if we have to get by with the guys we got, I think we can do it. We add Springs and Javonte Brown Ferguson to the same crew we had last year, and could still play some small ball with guys like Polley and if we get him, Nolley at the 4.

Would still take a Sanogo reclass as I do think he could contribute year one. Would also take Bruner. Not sure if there's another big possibility at this point.

Nolley big enough he can board especially if Springs can play 10-15 minutes and be effective. But certainly Sanogo!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom