Kentucky to Hire Mark Pope LOL | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Kentucky to Hire Mark Pope LOL

Reaction Score
I see two big issues with this hire (and I actually tend to think he’s a pretty good coach).

1) The fanbase will have zero patience because they already think he isn’t good enough. If he’s not immediately at the top of college bball, they’re going to take that as confirmation and BBN is going to implode.

2) The negative recruiting writes itself. Hey big time recruit, you want to go play for this guy that Kentucky didn’t even want as their coach?

Reaction Score
It's not a "first step". It was several years ago for a celebration of the 1996 championship team he couldn't attend.

I guess it's obvious why it's being passed around as something new though. It does look weird.
Thanks for the context and clarification.

Do we think Pope will still be in Lexington by the time the 30th anniversary of that championship team would be celebrated?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It’s a confusing hire, but after reading their fan forum for a few minutes today, I 100% understand why nobody that is already in a good situation would ever want to come near them

Calipari may talk someday about why he didn’t force Kentucky to fire him and pay him out. I wouldn't be surprised if Kentucky offered to let him walk from his side of the contract, and needing the police to remove Kentucky fans from his lawn was the last straw for him.

Reaction Score
is that real?!!! wow, that is crazy.

Holy Cringe! Comes off like a desperate stunt, almost WWE. Read the room guy. The fans already hated the hire before you went all cosplay with your Captain Kentucky skit. Maybe those weirdos will lap it up.

Reaction Score
Holy Cringe! Comes off like a desperate stunt, almost WWE. Read the room guy. The fans already hated the hire before you went all cosplay with your Captain Kentucky skit. Maybe those weirdos will lap it up.
The best part is the BYU basketball in the background. Really cringe.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I would.

The stalking and threatening behaviors by their fans during this coaching search have crossed lines that should never be crossed.
I was being facetious.

Reaction Score
I see two big issues with this hire (and I actually tend to think he’s a pretty good coach).

1) The fanbase will have zero patience because they already think he isn’t good enough. If he’s not immediately at the top of college bball, they’re going to take that as confirmation and BBN is going to implode.

2) The negative recruiting writes itself. Hey big time recruit, you want to go play for this guy that Kentucky didn’t even want as their coach?
The worst thing for Kentucky fans is how utterly small-time they look, and they know it.

When JC abruptly retired and got KO as his nepotism hire, it made us look small time, as if we were afraid of a national search resulting in this sort of outcome, i.e. getting lukewarm interest and panic-hiring a C-lister. Kentucky is steering directly into it, which is even worse.

Reaction Score

This is also why they were never going to draw a big time coach.

Reaction Score
IMG_6949.jpeg

Reaction Score
They are completely oblivious why everybody but Pope turned them down.
While I think he could be a good hire for them, he ultimately will regret taking that job

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
It’s honestly a good hire, but that delusional fanbase is going to HATE IT.
It’s low key a brilliant hire, but are they going to be patient enough for a real rebuild or are they going to can him 3 years in for another one and done type coach?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I think it’s actually a video that was taken a few years back when Pope wasn’t able to go back to Kentucky when they were honoring the 96’ Championship team.

Sorry for jumping the gun- as I said was super strange video- lol.

Ahhhh, that makes sense. Pretty funny how it “works” to make him look like a psycho.

Reaction Score
It’s low key a brilliant hire, but are they going to be patient enough for a real rebuild or are they going to can him 3 years in for another one and done type coach?
They already have threads asking how soon it will be until they fire him lol

Reaction Score
a brilliant hire? no tournament success, got high in rankings by gaming efficiency metrics? no thanks.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Kentucky fans have this unique blend of entitlement and psychosis that I've never really seen anywhere else. And I can't turn away.
UK fans, Lakers fans & Brazilian soccer fans.

IMG_0950.jpeg

Reaction Score
He's pretty clear cut not a Top ~20 coach so it's crazy to me how many people are saying it's a good hire. Based on what? 8-11 in conference/NCAA tournament setting and hasn't beaten a Kenpom top 50 team in that sample (0-6).

Reaction Score
The worst thing for Kentucky fans is how utterly small-time they look, and they know it.

When JC abruptly retired and got KO as his nepotism hire, it made us look small time, as if we were afraid of a national search resulting in this sort of outcome, i.e. getting lukewarm interest and panic-hiring a C-lister. Kentucky is steering directly into it, which is even worse.
The benefits to that job when it came to fielding a winner used to be much higher than they are now. The calculus for an entrenched coach has changed dramatically and I think UK fans are finally coming to that realization.

Reaction Score
UK fans have found out who they are.

They think they can get anyone, anytime, and that they are the best basketball program in the country, better than everyone else.

The hubris is astounding. The delta between what they think they are, and what they actually are is crazy.

They think because fans are rabid, that somehow means it is a great job. That job is exhausting .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom