Kentucky off to a rough start | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kentucky off to a rough start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You could argue, in context, those results are mediocre. When you consider he brings in a top 5 recruiting class almost every year, 1 title isn't saying much. For a other programs those results would be good, but not with the talent he brings in. Imagine if Wooden only won one title with all the talent he had at UCLA back in the day. He wouldn't look so special now.

He won one title and it was a year when Terrence Jones was a key player as a sophomore. He had been thought of as one and done, but stayed on for another year, and brought some leadership and stability to the stable of one and dones.

Reaction Score
I disagree. It's a tried and true rule that experience is essential to field a championship team. Kentucky will never have that continuity that true championship teams have.

Here's a breakdown of Kentucky's minutes continuity over the last few years:

2021: 0.1%!!!
2020: 36.8% - 259th in nation
2019: 21.8% - 326th in nation
2018: 11.2% - 348th in nation
I agree with you. Clearly he doesn't, or he wouldn't recruit 1 and dones only.

Reaction Score
You can make that argument. I think it would be wrong, though. In addition @Hey Adrien! 's note, I also think your comparison to Wooden is off.

Wooden got players for 3 years. Wooden also was essentially gifted the Final Four every year given the way the tournament was set up. There was also no 3pt shot or shot clock. It's just not the same.

There's a lot more randomness in the MBB. There's a reason only a few coaches in the history of CBB have won even three total titles.
My point was the influx of talent compared to peers. If you bring in that much talent on a regular basis, most would expect you to win more. I favor experience + talent over overwhelming raw talent, but that isn't his re recruiting philosophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89
Top Bottom