Katz: BE AD's meeting in Dallas on 1/11 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Katz: BE AD's meeting in Dallas on 1/11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Honestly, I'm glad I don't have many of you as investment partners.

First ... READ the San Diego paper on San Diego States choices. Second, we ARE not taking UMass or Tulsa or Northern Illinois or Southern Miss soon. I don't know Katz agenda.

You have a Shotgun Conference. Didn't expect to be thrown together & old leadership has left the building. It's a brand new enterprise. And the have to meet. Why Dallas? I think that's very strategic. With the numbers being thrown out for the C-7 & Aresco's background, I expect we are still far more dollars than the MWC.

I expect San Diego State to be in Dallas. The schools that fit Aresco's pattern? Not the ones Katz cited. I'd say UTSA. And Fresno.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I thought there were worse choices than UMass, back when we had a critical mass in the northeast. Now we are just trying to find the best 12-14 schools not in a major conference. The situation has changed.

The MWC has an absolutely toxic TV deal that is being amended slightly for Boise but there doesn't appear to be a pot of money flowing into the league. From a TV standpoint, the Big East still has an advantage. It is just choosing not to exercise it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
At some point, you need to stop relying on what you think and start considering what you know.

We know for dead certain that Boise, Air Force and BYU have passed on our league. One is indy and two are in the supposed lemonade stand.

San Diego State hasn't decided whether they're going to join us or the lemonade stand. No one else in or around the lemonade stand is clamoring to get into our league...

Either the lemonade stand is more appealing than we think or our little operation is not going to amount to even that.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
First ... READ the San Diego paper on San Diego States choices. Second, we ARE not taking UMass or Tulsa or Northern Illinois or Southern Miss soon. I
I expect San Diego State to be in Dallas. The schools that fit Aresco's pattern? Not the ones Katz cited. I'd say UTSA. And Fresno.

This is comforting somehow? If we are relegated to hell, it should at least be an easy trip.

Reaction Score
This picture has apparently leaked of WM monitoring the lunch situation in China:

images
at least the kids isn't sporting a uconn jersey or hat...

Reaction Score
John Altavilla (@jaltavilla)
1/4/13, 10:58 AM
#UConn AD Warde Manuel on a 10-day tour on China sponsored by #NIKE. So don't expect finalization of Geno's new deal for some time.

So does Warde make it back from China in time to attend the AD meeting in Dallas or is Warde intentionally being taken out of the decision making process?

Remember what happened when Rommel went home for his wife's birthday and now we have Warde in China for 10 DAYS! We are doomed. Anyone know if Delaney is going to China soon?:)

Reaction Score
The schools that fit Aresco's pattern? Not the ones Katz cited. I'd say UTSA. And Fresno.

Wasnt Aresco the person who invited Tulane?
If so, then I'd expect to see Louisiana Tech and New Mexico St at the meeting.

Reaction Score
A year ago you wanted UMASS in the league. What Happened? I personally think the league needs another northeast school. Add UMASS, keep the Big East name and keep the basketball tournament in MSG.

Right now I think the only thing keeping Houston and SMU in the Big East is the idea of playing "Big East" basketball. Larry Brown did not sign on with SMU to compete in the MWC and Houston wants another shot at Phi Slamma Jamma. We need strong basketball in order to keep the football league together.

I also think part of the reason BC does not want us in the ACC is that they believe UMASS would be UCONN's replacement in the Big East and they don't want to see UMASS upgraded. If we add UMASS now it actually decreases BC's desire to keep us out of the ACC.

I know everyone fears losing games and recruits to UMASS but we need a rival in this league. Maybe a strong rival would help fuel the fire and desire in our Athletic Department. I bet if we lost to UMASS last year we'd have a new football coach right now.
Umass?????
you want to develop a rivaly with a school that just stepped up to D1A football. what does that do for Uconn?
There is a reason, annoying as it is, that BC and Syracuse wouldn't support Uconn to the ACC. it makes life more difficult for them...

And that is how uconn needs to see umass.

Crap rolls downhill.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Nelson or anyone else who would know, is there a possibility the MWC contract could have "look-ins" structured into it, even though they're in the middle of the contract? That might help them nail down SDSU / BYU / whoever.

Reaction Score
Umass?????
you want to develop a rivaly with a school that just stepped up to D1A football. what does that do for Uconn?
There is a reason, annoying as it is, that BC and Syracuse wouldn't support Uconn to the ACC. it makes life more difficult for them...

And that is how uconn needs to see umass.

Crap rolls downhill.
Obviously, BC and SU came together in the ACC. UMass and UConn vs BC and SU. We don't need to develop a rivalry with UMass. We already have one.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think I know what UConn's approach to this conference is and if I think it is what I think it is, I think I like it.

Hands off.

Put together whatever little conference you'd like and we'll play in it for as long as we have to and not a minute longer. And when we go, it'll have as few of our fingerprints on it as humanly possible. We'll schedule up in the OOC and then endure whatever we have to endure.

I'm sure Cincinnati is approaching it in the same fashion.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I think I know what UConn's approach to this conference is and if I think it is what I think it is, I think I like it.

Hands off.

Put together whatever little conference you'd like and we'll play in it for as long as we have to and not a minute longer. And when we go, it'll have as few of our fingerprints on it as humanly possible. We'll schedule up in the OOC and then endure whatever we have to endure.

I'm sure Cincinnati is approaching it in the same fashion.
You can date us, but we will always be looking over your shoulder for a hotter option to enter the room.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
How is this benefiting his employer? Warde may want to think about taking a pass on all the free trips. I know Buffalo may not have provided the same opportunities for world travel that he now enjoys, but our conference is a grease fire and there may be discussions of adding UMass Lowell that he needs to be present for.
Looking for Chinese Universities to be part of the BE. They are in the east and they have market share.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
And what proof do we have of the scheduling up bit?

Only that it is freaking obvious that once we are playing a mid major conference slate we will need high profile OOC opponents to keep our profile up. In all sports.

What's tiring is this constant drumbeat that our fate is due to Warde, or Susan, or Paul P, or Hathaway, or Aresco or any of their various predecessors. Really? All of them are just incompetent? I find that the least likely reason.

So please, don't assume future incompetence. They will do what they can.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Reaction Score
Why would Nike send Warde to China? To see where our jerseys are manufactured?

Reaction Score
This is an important meeting. Why is Warde in China again? The only reason I can see is if UCONN already know its fate in conference realignment. I am hoping it is because we already got a B1G offer and just waiting it out. What is Warde in China for other than a vacation? I doubt he is there to work.

Reaction Score
if the nbe adds umass, that is a major slap to uconn.
the last thing uconn needs is another school on par or better in the northeast to compete with for recruits.

is it possible for warde to be in this country when things are going down with the big east.

Reaction Score
maybe he's looking for a beatable OOC opponent for the 2014 football schedule

If thats the case maybe Coach Sos could get us on his dads schedule. Maybe we could beat them, and it would appease the Ct HS FB coach's that are so important to our program!!

Reaction Score
if the nbe adds umass, that is a major slap to uconn.
the last thing uconn needs is another school on par or better in the northeast to compete with for recruits.

is it possible for warde to be in this country when things are going down with the big east.
We could the rivalry to maintain fan interest. That's all. UMass is the school we've played the second-most games against in football. It cannot hurt to carry this on for marketing purposes. If UMass can continue to upgrade their school and compete with UConn, it would be great for both schools. We can overtake Syracuse. Easily. Syracuse's location sucks.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
We could the rivalry to maintain fan interest. That's all. UMass is the school we've played the second-most games against in football.
Maybe there's no fan interest BECAUSE we've played so many games against them and nobody cared about those games either.

Reaction Score
Maybe there's no fan interest BECAUSE we've played so many games against them and nobody cared about those games either.
I am sure that's why our own fans call UMass "UMess" and why they have a few fans come here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom