Karaban=ice cold killa | The Boneyard

Karaban=ice cold killa

Reaction Score
I was going to post this as well. How many times has he hit 3 pointer at the buzzer at the half time? I’m counting at least 3 but could very well have missed some.

The kid has ice in his vein! Wait until he has freshmen to sophomore leap. The future is bright!

Reaction Score
Yup, he's the guy that I'm most confident that it's going in when it leaves his hand! I want him taking a last shot always. That's saying something when you have Jordan Hawkins on the team!

Reaction Score
I've been thinking about what his game will look like next year. I'm figuring he'll have a better handle and add more muscle. Love his game, his maturity and his leadership.

Reaction Score
It is truly amazing how indespensible both Alex and Donovan have been to this entire season, and certainly to our "runaway freight train" demolition of this NCAA tournament up through last night.

I believe we all can say that if the recruiting rankings for last year were re-done that both Alex and Donovan would easily be ranked Top 20, not in the 40's (Donovan) and 60's (Alex). Only the 2011 team had two or more freshman come in and together play such integral roles on a championship-caliber team (Shabazz Napier, Jeremy Lamb and Roscoe Smith).

And I just love, LOVE watching Alex Karaban play the game of basketball. His BBIQ is off the charts, and this is on display many times in each and every game. Added to his raising his game to make the big shot or other key play time and time again this year and it is awesome to think about what he is going to grow into as he matures and grows stronger over the next several years.

If Alex stays even 3 years let alone all 4, he will be considered one of the all-time greats to ever play for our beloved Huskies. And no, I am not one prone to hyperbole. He really could be THAT good by the time all is said and done.

Reaction Score
I called that play coming out if the timeout. He is the dagger. He is the iceman. AK11. Stone cold. How many buzzer beaters, back breakers or momentum changing shots had he hit??????
Dude hasn't missed a big shot since the Seton Hall loss. Everyone who knows anything about UConn basketball knew he was taking and making that shot before half and he still got open and made it. Stud.

Reaction Score
When Sanogo high hedges deep beyond the 3 point line, Sanogo's man rolls hard to the basket but can almost never make a play because Alex has cut down the entry pass angle. Sanogo retreats back to the paint and Alex is able to recover to his man who has been spotted up outside the arc. Time after time Alex allows the high hedge to work with his IQ. This type of play is very Giffey like and just one example of his subtle contributions.

FYI it was Dec 2019 when I first posted here, 'Impressive Player', re Karaban. It was Jan 2020 when I posted that I gave my note to Tom Moore begging for Sanogo and Karaban. That was during a Putnam Science / New Hampton game. That game featured 3 players in this final 4. The Russian center Goldin who I posted about then, Hassan Diarra, and Karaban. (Also Jaylen Murray who was part of that Saint Peters team last year in the tourney that beat Kentucky).

Also want to compliment Hurley that he used Diarra sparingly, if at all, after being loose with the ball in the first half.

Reaction Score
Dude hasn't missed a big shot since the Seton Hall loss. Everyone who knows anything about UConn basketball knew he was taking and making that shot before half and he still got open and made it. Stud.
WIDE OPEN!

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Love this guy…made a comparison to Henefeld earlier this year. I thought he might get to that level. From what my eyes tell me he is a bit taller a better three point shooter and he is three or four years younger than Nadov was a freshman. I guess now we should be comparing Henefeld to Karaban. His defense has improved every game. He kinda shut down Miller. As a long time Husky fan this team is kinda making me numb by the way they are playing.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Everyone who knows anything about UConn basketball knew he was taking and making that shot before half and he still got open and made it. Stud.
The only ones in the building who didn't know that were the announcers, who thought that the play was set up for Hawk to take the shot, but he was covered, so it went to AK. Hawk was a decoy. Hell he was out of bounds holding up three fingers when Alex caught the pass.

Reaction Score
Players Association Yes GIF by NBPA

VA Blue Dog

VA Blue Dog
Reaction Score
Karaban is unconscious. Check out our half time closure stats in the recent thread. I remember he put one in from about 50 feet earlier this year just after the horn. Looking at the camera with hunched shoulders you could read his lips, "I tried." He's a dagger.
M-O-N-E Y!!!

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
That was a hammer action designed to get Hawkins open in the corner. When Miami messed up their switch & both guys followed Hawk, Karaban read it and spaced up to the slot.

And at the same time Newton made an NBA-caliber read and pass. Just a tremendous floor game from that kid last night.

Reaction Score
That was a hammer action designed to get Hawkins open in the corner. When Miami messed up their switch & both guys followed Hawk, Karaban read it and spaced up to the slot.

And at the same time Newton made an NBA-caliber read and pass. Just a tremendous floor game from that kid last night.
There were just so many options on that play depending on how Miami played it. Clingan rolling to the basket, Hawkins to the corner, Karaban and Joey C spread at the three point line. Masterful play call.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Newton has played great. Alleyne has played great. Joey has become an above average defender. Then you have the rest of the team. DC, AJ, AK, JH and AS. It is really hard to put into words, but if this heaven I good with that.

Reaction Score
They were terrified of the hammer for Hawkins and snuffed it out, but Karaban did a good job making himself open, Newton did a great job of reading the overplay on Hawkins and finding AK, and AK is clutch.

Reaction Score
It's a well designed play.

The 3 things I hope to see from Karaban in the next couple of years is :

1) Get stronger
2) Consistent 12-15 foot jumper. I think he has it, but it's just not part of the offense yet.
3) A little back to the basket game when he has the missmatch.

He's smart and is already composed. He's already one of my favorite huskies of all time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom