Karaban declares, retains NCAA eligibility | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Karaban declares, retains NCAA eligibility

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
He's gone. That's a long thank you note for just testing the waters.
I’d say it’s 60-40 that he leaves. But that’s just my optimistic opinion

Reaction Score

I'm glad Alex wants to test out the waters but I think he needs to return and work on his shot mechanics and have a quicker release. Either way I love him and he is one of the all time UConn great players. Blessing to have him play here and win 2 Nattys.

Reaction Score
He's gone. That's a long thank you note for just testing the waters.
Karaban is a smart kid who already has an agent. He'll listen to the right people. Do you think he wants to tell the NBA he isn't serious about the process and is just testing the waters? No. He should give it his all and tell the world he is doing that. In a couple months if it doesn't look good then he can announce he's coming back. Most of us expected he would do this. Why wouldn't he at least test the process?

From an article in the Courant on Sunday:

Alex Karaban

Karaban, called the “brain center” of the program by Hurley and “Captain America” by Diarra, has a much tougher decision to make.

“It’s definitely been weighing on me a lot,” he said candidly. “Some days I’m leaning toward one way, other days I’ll move the other way. I’m torn right now. I’m still trying to figure it all out. … And really, I just want to set myself up in the best position that I can (for) my future and at the same time, I have so much love for this school and the program. … It’s gonna be the toughest decision I’ve had to make.”

Karaban has had a few meetings with the coaches and has talked with his family and teammates like Clingan, his league-bound roommate. He plans on reaching out to 2022-23 captain Andre Jackson Jr., selected in the second round and now with the Milwaukee Bucks, for advice.

An increased role as the program goes for a three-peat is a bonus for staying, and the fact that he’s taken enough classes to be able to graduate after three years.

His draft position at this point feels similar to Jackson’s, as a potential second-round pick who is listed on some, but not all, mock drafts.

“There’s a lot there,” Hurley said. “He’s clearly a draft-able NBA prospect. I think for most of these players now with NIL – if you’re going to be a clear-cut, consensus first-round pick and you feel like you’re mature enough emotionally to go into those locker rooms, then I think you’ve got a responsibility to really consider going. If you’re not going to be a consensus clear-cut first-round pick, I think you stay in college. Second round, it’s a tough spot. Up through those mid-30s, there’s no more guaranteed contracts and I think it’s better to be in college than it is on a two-way, in my opinion.”

Reaction Score
Best wishes to AK. Selfishly was hoping he'd stay, but if he's ready for the next step, then he's ready.

We're gonna have 5 new starters next season. How quickly things change.

Reaction Score
Best wishes to AK. Selfishly was hoping he'd stay, but if he's ready for the next step, then he's ready.

We're gonna have 5 new starters next season. How quickly things change.
Like mentioned before he could be coming back like Newton did when he tested the waters. This still isn't clear cut he is gone as he isn't a definite 1st round pick.

Reaction Score
He wouldn't let the program hang by holding his scholarship and NIL. He won't screw Hurley and UConn.

I believe he'll make a full decision sooner rather than later.

Reaction Score
He wouldn't let the program hang by holding his scholarship and NIL. He won't screw Hurley and UConn.

I believe he'll make a full decision sooner rather than later.
He’s gonna go through the process, which does take some time. Nobody within the program would consider that screwing over Hurley or UConn and nobody else should either

Reaction Score
Ok with this. Predict he comes back. No signed agent
They all have agents now arriving at school - How can having an agent have anything to do with it now?

Reaction Score
This is Newton 2.0 and see what coming back did for him. If Alex ends up in a similar situation, I can see this same scenario. At the same time, can’t help but root for him in NBA workouts.

Reaction Score
I know it's a long goodbye, but you know that there are many on this board and out in the college basketball community who would rip this kid if he assured us he was coming back and then really impressed at the tryouts and got a promise of a mid 1st round selection and decided to leave. He's also incredibly smart and thoughtful so I just see class in the statement.
I think its 50/50 that he goes, but it his decision and he's earned to do what he wants.
I'm a big Karaban fan and just want great things for him.
The selfish UConn fan in me wants him to return to help Hurley and Co. teach that office to all the newcomers and have them be a possible contender next year.
It's tough as a fan. I can't imagine how hard it is for a kid in his early 20's to make this decision.

Reaction Score
Does anyone have any actual idea of what feedback these kids get?

Will a Nuggets scout say “if he’s there in the late 1st we’ll take him” or is it a lot more vague? I’d feel differently knowing I was probably early 2nd rd but headed to a contender vs a Sacramento or Wizards.

Reaction Score
They all have agents now arriving at school - How can having an agent have anything to do with it now?
Yeah they all have agents due to NIL contracts.

Reaction Score
… then really impressed at the tryouts and got a promise of a mid 1st round selection…
Even if it’s just a first round promise, not even mid first, he’ll have to make a tough call. And that’s what makes it hard to speculate too much. Because I feel like this could very well happen.

Reaction Score
Alex does a lot of things pretty good.

He has improved to become a good defender. He's a good cutter, he is an okay finisher at the rim, he's a good passer and an okay rebounder.

He isn't athletic enough, and will need to defend in the NBA to see the court. He isn't an NBA level defender. For Alex to see the floor he needs to hit 3s like he did first half of the year. 2nd half shooting Alex doesn't get drafted. 1st half Alex does get drafted. I hope he gets a 2 way if he decides to stay in the draft. Great kid, great winner, great teammate. All class and character.

That awkward release is causing problems, he needs to fix it. The more moving parts in a shot, the more potential problems.

Reaction Score
Even if it’s just a first round promise, not even mid first, he’ll have to make a tough call. And that’s what makes it hard to speculate too much. Because I feel like this could very well happen.
1st round promise and he is gone with the wind. 30-40 often get 2 way deals.

Reaction Score
Alex isn't ready, it is as simple as that. His ticket to the show is mainly his 3 point shooting. And that hasn't been falling, so he goes mid to late 2nd or undrafted.

Reaction Score
There's no such thing as a first round promise. I'm sure Alex and his agent know that.

Reaction Score
I think he's a late second rounder which probably translates to the G League. I'd love to see him get a more consistent shot in college and become a first rounder next year, but there's no guarantee his shot wouldn't be streaky next year if he stayed. Having four starters in the NBA after getting three to the NBA last year is great for recruiting. We went years without producing any NBA players, now we're crushing it.

Reaction Score
As far as the long goodbye, Hurley talked about last year with Andre and tristen that you need to go into the process with the mindset you are going to the nba. So I’m not reading much into that.

I think he’ll be back and I think he has room to improve his stock. But you never know, we don’t know what the feedback will be or how good he wants it to be for him to stay in the draft

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom