Kara Wolters | The Boneyard

Kara Wolters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This should go in the women's thread. I don't care. This weekend I was at Eden resort at Lancaster, PA. With friends of the family. One of these friends has a 9-year-old girl who plays basketball. Her mom is 6'0". While there I come across the tallest woman I've ever seen. I think to myself, "wow, she should have played college ball". Then I notice she has a UConn t-shirt on. Didn't think much of it, but I asked "you went to UConn?". She answers "yeah". I said "me too. Class of 93". She replies "class of 97". A few minutes later it dawns on me, since I haven't seen a photo of her since the 90s. I aske her "Is your name Kara?". Sheepishly, she says "yes".

So later I ask her, "I'd like a favor. How should I address you. Ms Wolters, Mrs Wolters, Kara?". She replies "Kara is fine". I tell her "there is a little girl who plays basketball and would like a picture with you. I know you are on vaca, I don't want to draw attention to you". Her reply "No problem". The little girl got her picture. I asked her 6'0" mom to get in for a frame of reference. What a humble NCAA, WNBA, and Olympic champ. And HOFer.

Reaction Score
The little girl plays soccer and basketball. Kara tells her "I know you have know idea who I am, but you can google me later. I hope you pick basketball." So I explain to the girl "she is an NCAA champ, a WNBA champ, and an Olympic gold medalist (I didn't know about the HOF). Kara looked at me and turned bright red. So humble.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Kara Wolters/Height
6′ 7″

Yes, she's much taller than 6' :)

Not sure why anyone bashes our women. My favorites include Sue, Diana, Maya, Brianna, Swinlanda, Jen, Rebecca, Kara..... and many more, too many to name. Great ambassadors for the school, and I enjoy watching them win Olympic Gold every our years.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I suppose the combination of humility and excellence goes a long way? What HOFer acts that way? She turned bright red. The woman is a class act. And she appreciates fellow Huskies.
Nice story.

Her teammate Rebecca Lobo who remains in front of the public is the same. Little biased, I knew her parents and her brother, and all great people. If anyone is old enough to remember this, it was said about Kara and Rebecca’s championship team that no opponents disliked them because they were all great kids.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I asked her 6'0" mom to get in for a frame of reference.

Well alrighty then :)

I thought maybe the OP was like 5' and couldn't tell the difference

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Mom - "do you want me in the photo because it includes my daughter and a UConn great?"
Dr Z - "no I just want you in it so I can tell the difference between a 6 footer and someone who is 6'7""

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Nobody cares.
I wouldn't have asked unless I did. I am genuinely curious.

I haven't followed them avidly enough to be able to pick three "favorites" as easily as I can with the men, and "favorite" is different than "best," so I am always interested to hear why people choose certain favorites.

For example, Khalid is my favorite Husky of all time, but he's obviously not the best.

I probably have recency bias, but I enjoy watching Paige play more than any other women's player; against the legion of women world-beaters we've had though, she hasn't--yet--achieved the championships we associate with being the best.

My other favorites would probably be Rebecca, being the first and such a great ambassador for our school; and Sue, just being great all-around, period.

But it's criminal to leave off the likes of Diana and Stewie. Or Svet.

In other words, it would have taken me a while to get to Kara, but only because of the embarrassment of riches we have.

Reaction Score
Might as well digress to make this relevant to the Men's board. Kara's dad, Willie Wolters was a force on the blocks for Boston College (gag) in the 1960's. Dec 10th 1966 they beat UConn 87-69 then they knocked us out of the ncaa tournament on March 11th, 1967 48-42 before they got beat in the East regional finals by North Carolina. Toby Kimball was gone but Bill Corley was the center and Penders & Wes in the back court with Holowaty. I lived and died with radio broadcasts at the time. "Stops, Pops, Swish" (Was it George Erlich?) Wolters scored 7 pts in the ncaa game. Clearly Willie felt terrible about doing us badly and sent us Kara to make up for it. The books say he was 6'8 but I always remembered 6'10 that I prefer. There, now Kara is connected to men's BBall and the thread can stay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom