Juwan Durham article from Amore | The Boneyard

Juwan Durham article from Amore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
It's a shame he's had so many setbacks. He can still be great, just has to work that much harder. The kid has a bright future. What are the odds of him redshirting?

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
You know this kid is a husky. Why? He already has that chip on his shoulder. He will have that WARRIOR mindset that all special players have. I have no doubt that he will come back stronger than before with his attitude.

Love hearing this kind of stuff about the staff from recruits:

Durham's mother, Charisse Hargrett, was in the gym. She had an intuition about the UConn coaches before even meeting them, and what transpired after his second major knee injury confirmed it.

"When he found out he tore his other knee, he immediately called [UConn]," she said. "And he asked them, 'do I still have a chance?' And they were like, 'yeah, we're not going to take away the offer because of that.' I told him, 'You see what I'm talking about? These are the kind of people you want to surround yourself with.'"

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
"When he found out he tore his other knee, he immediately called [UConn]," she said. "And he asked them, 'do I still have a chance?' And they were like, 'yeah, we're not going to take away the offer because of that.' I told him, 'You see what I'm talking about? These are the kind of people you want to surround yourself with.'"

I really hope nobody takes the opportunity to spin this against the staff.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Good read, thanks for sharing.

Juwan seems like a great kid by all accounts. Can't wait to root for him in Husky blue.

Reaction Score
This kid needs to succeed, deserves to succeed. I love this kid, one of my favorites ever and he hasn't even put the uni on. I hope and pray he has a successful rehab and becomes a player, no matter how good, for UConn. I really hope he becomes the player he wants to be, the player we think he can be with his tools but this is mostly for him. I'd be crazy to say I could care less about being a UConn fan as to how good he becomes because sure I want him to be that guy. But I will never ever root harder for someone to reach his goals, this is really a special kid.

Good luck Juwan, stay positive and stay healthy. Kick ***!!!

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Heart will be in my stomach every time he takes a fall. Rooting for his comeback!

Reaction Score
Does he redshirt? I'm thinking he lost a year of competition and his senior year at that.

Anyone know?

Reaction Score
I agree that he will likely redshirt. Probably the right move as he needs to get stronger, further rehab the knee and get back into basketball shape.

with a redshirt year, he should come in as a freshman (Year 1 of eligibility) really strong and ready to be a major contributor as Brimah will be gone and we will need frontcourt help.

Reaction Score
I like the kid's commitment and attitude and I like that Ollie stood by him. But with his medical history, I'll be shocked if he's ever a high level contributor to this team. I'm pessimistic by nature, but the odds are stacked against him by any objective measure.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I like the kid's commitment and attitude and I like that Ollie stood by him. But with his medical history, I'll be shocked if he's ever a high level contributor to this team. I'm pessimistic by nature, but the odds are stacked against him by any objective measure.
Can you provide an historical example where that is true? Most importantly in the last 10 years when knee surgeries have improved dramatically.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Let's let him get to campus before we write off his chance of ever playing meaningful minutes.

Reaction Score
Wish him the best! Seems like a good kid. Lets see how things progress for him.

Reaction Score
You don't say...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

ACL tears are not a doom and gloom scenario. It'll be fine - maybe not next year, but eventually, fine.

These days, there is a 98% success rate in returning an athlete to their sport - and that factors in all kinds of athletes. For an elite athlete like JD, it's 100%.

Remember DeJuan Blair? He tore both ACLs in high school and they were not repaired correctly. He was the Big East player of the year and he didn't have an ACL in either knee.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the consult Dr Shabazzkets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle