Justin Fuente Hired by Virginia Tech | The Boneyard

Justin Fuente Hired by Virginia Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
This deserves its own thread as it will significantly impact Memphis and the AAC. It might be a tough year for the Tigers next year to lose their coach and QB at the same time.

Solid hire by VT. This should put them on an offensive level of Clemson in no time.

Reaction Score
What is more interesting is who Memphis goes for to replace him? Do they spend cash to upgrade that position? Fuentes was good but who is out there for sale that's even better? And....can Houston hold onto their coach?

Dooley

Reaction Score
What is more interesting is who Memphis goes for to replace him? Do they spend cash to upgrade that position? Fuentes was good but who is out there for sale that's even better? And....can Houston hold onto their coach?

They have FedEx guy who, if you believe the CR rumors, is willing to pay the B12 to add them. If he's willing to spend that kind of money to get Memphis into a P5, then he must be willing to spend some good loot on a new coach. I would think someone in the $2M/$3M yr range would be a nice splash hire. Not quite Maryland Under Armour money but very good money, nonetheless.

I like that Houston has publicly said they will raise Herman to $3M/yr. I don't know if that will keep him or not (I hope it does, at least for another year), but it's certainly a nice statement.

Reaction Score
They have FedEx guy who, if you believe the CR rumors, is willing to pay the B12 to add them. If he's willing to spend that kind of money to get Memphis into a P5, then he must be willing to spend some good loot on a new coach. I would think someone in the $2M/$3M yr range would be a nice splash hire. Not quite Maryland Under Armour money but very good money, nonetheless.

I like that Houston has publicly said they will raise Herman to $3M/yr. I don't know if that will keep him or not (I hope it does, at least for another year), but it's certainly a nice statement.

Shortly after Houston made Herman the $3m starting point offer on a new contract, Memphis reportedly offered Fuente $2.5m w/ increased Asst. Coach pool.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Shortly after Houston made Herman the $3m starting point offer on a new contract, Memphis reportedly offered Fuente $2.5m w/ increased Asst. Coach pool.

Oh wow - I didn't know that. So yeah, I guess that answers the question with definitive evidence. If they need to go that high into the $2-$3M/yr range, they can and will.

Reaction Score
I bet Memphis goes after Charlie Strong after he's fired from Texas this year

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I bet Memphis goes after Charlie Strong after he's fired from Texas this year

I've heard from some people that Strong has been told he is safe for another year. However, that doesn't mean that Strong will stay as he might want a more stable situation without having to deal with the texas politics in regards to football.

I really think Miami will be Strong's landing spot if he decides to part ways with Texas following this season.

Reaction Score
Bud Foster must be in a weird place - dude has been waiting for a HC gig for 5+ years. I kind of thought he previously dismissed the UConn job but could be mistaken. If he did, he chose...poorly.

You are correct, he was not interested in the Uconn job.

Reaction Score
Bud Foster must be in a weird place - dude has been waiting for a HC gig for 5+ years.
Weird, especially if Foster may be pursuing other jobs. Wasn't Foster recently mentioned for some P5 program? Not Iowa State, because they are purportedly hiring Toledo's coach.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Weird, especially if Foster may be pursuing other jobs. Wasn't Foster recently mentioned for some P5 program? Not Iowa State, because they are purportedly hiring Toledo's coach.
You have to imagine that any BCS school is going to see this as a red flag - VT had the opportunity to hire Foster and they immediately passed him over for Fuentes. What does VT know about the guy? He's 56 now, so it's crap or get off the pot time. He did sign a 5 year deal last year which is interesting in that it includes a $600k base with $300k "retention bonuses". He can live comfortably as an assistant, but you have to wonder what's going through his mind right now.

Reaction Score
huskypantz said:
You have to imagine that any BCS school is going to see this as a red flag - VT had the opportunity to hire Foster and they immediately passed him over for Fuentes. What does VT know about the guy? He's 56 now, so it's crap or get off the pot time. He did sign a 5 year deal last year which is interesting in that it includes a $600k base with $300k "retention bonuses". He can live comfortably as an assistant, but you have to wonder what's going through his mind right now.

Sometimes, you need to make the decision to stick with what you know. At 56 years old and 900k a year, Bud is very comfortable and doesn't need to reinvent the wheel. There is probably some sort of annuity involved that ensures substantial income in retirement as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom