2023 Recruiting: Justin Edwards

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
step brothers dale GIF

Reaction Score
It’s way too early, but that lineup gets eaten alive defensively.
Any lineup of underclassman is going to be challenged defensively. I gave a 'dislike' even though I just meant 'disagree' given my own particular assumptions that we are allowing for some time to grow as players and a team. I think the lineup you were responding to could be tough if coached to their defensive strengths rather than just plugged into Hurley's current hard hedge system. I have also said I only expect 10-12 min a game for Clingan as a freshman because I expect 4-5 fouls in those minutes adjusting to college ball (a la Sanogo and Jackson last yr). Clingan should stay at the foul line extended and below. I have seen Karaban lock up Kadray Richmond, Matt Cross, and Terrance Clarke, on the perimeter, and 7 footers underneath. There is nothing wrong with Karaban's defense against speed or power. Castle and Edwards both have sufficient size and speed to learn to defend their positions. Diggins defense will be fine on the ball, and Floyd as well. The issue now for Diggins, Johnson, and all of them, is to play as a cohesive unit defensively. Communicate, switch, help, rotate, etc IMO the group that was listed all have good BBIQ to pick up a system. With Thabeet we pressured the 3 point line and conceded guys driving to the rim where they couldn't finish over Thabeet. I expect something like that with Clingan.

PS Really wish Griffith was there as well. Maybe he had his own game. I don't see Edwards and Griffiths as precluding the other, and have a sense there will be enough schollys to go around. I want that 50% 3 pt shooter.

Reaction Score
Atmospherically this was a best-case choice for a scheduled visit.
Gampel just boomed.
Don't usually see assistant coaches engaging with recruits before the game other than an acknowledging wave.
Here, they walked up and talked to them all.
5 star crowd. 5 star school. 5 star coaches. 5 star players belong here!

Reaction Score
Any lineup of underclassman is going to be challenged defensively. I gave a 'dislike' even though I just meant 'disagree' given my own particular assumptions that we are allowing for some time to grow as players and a team. I think the lineup you were responding to could be tough if coached to their defensive strengths rather than just plugged into Hurley's current hard hedge system. I have also said I only expect 10-12 min a game for Clingan as a freshman because I expect 4-5 fouls in those minutes adjusting to college ball (a la Sanogo and Jackson last yr). Clingan should stay at the foul line extended and below. I have seen Karaban lock up Kadray Richmond, Matt Cross, and Terrance Clarke, on the perimeter, and 7 footers underneath. There is nothing wrong with Karaban's defense against speed or power. Castle and Edwards both have sufficient size and speed to learn to defend their positions. Diggins defense will be fine on the ball, and Floyd as well. The issue now for Diggins, Johnson, and all of them, is to play as a cohesive unit defensively. Communicate, switch, help, rotate, etc IMO the group that was listed all have good BBIQ to pick up a system. With Thabeet we pressured the 3 point line and conceded guys driving to the rim where they couldn't finish over Thabeet. I expect something like that with Clingan.

PS Really wish Griffith was there as well. Maybe he had his own game. I don't see Edwards and Griffiths as precluding the other, and have a sense there will be enough schollys to go around. I want that 50% 3 pt shooter.
Disagree. I think you're making a lot of assumptions on how these guys could play defense against top tier college offensive players - without seeing them do this. Now, I think they're all potentially going to become very good to excellent offensive players because on their high school and AAU teams that is their role and they do it really well otherwise they wouldn't be ranked where they are....

But, defensive assumptions are tough to make unless the guy is playing a defensive stopper role in high school/AAU. Cases in point: Johnson and Diggins on the current roster. Can those two guys and the list of offensive minded recruits listed above become serviceable or even above average defenders? Yes, it's possible but not a given. Maybe half to two-thirds can, but no one knows until they actually have to do it against the big boys on the big stage.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

On Saturday afternoon, Kingswood Oxford lost 75-72 at Dexter Southfield School in Brookline, MA yesterday afternoon. Current team record is 15-4.

Disclaimer: The post was not written in my capacity as Kingswood News Sports Editor. That was an alarmingly long time ago.
Go Wyverns!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Yesterday afternoon, Kingswood Oxford lost to Dexter Southfield Academy in Brookline, MA 75-72. Current team record is 15-4.

Go Wyverns!

This post written by Kingswood News Sports Editor from a long time ago.

Strikeout below unaccountably occurred two times when I attempted to edit Gavin's name to "Griffiths." I give up.

Reaction Score
"He is a high character and hard working young man as well.”

This should put us well ahead of Auburn and Kentucky..................

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I'm still confused, Hans.
Ricker wondered if Griffiths wasn't visiting with other recruits during the Xavier game because he had his own game, so I looked into it and learned that his school had a game on Saturday.

The strikerthrough stuff and double-posting was technical difficulties.

I couldn't find any individual statistics for Griffiths on Saturday. I was once sports editor for the high school newspaper where GG goes to school.

Reaction Score
Ricker wondered if Griffiths wasn't visiting with other recruits during the Xavier game because he had his own game, so I looked into it and learned that his school had a game on Saturday.

The strikerthrough stuff and double-posting was technical difficulties.

I couldn't find any individual statistics for Griffiths on Saturday. I was once sports editor for the high school newspaper where GG goes to school.
Not a ringing endorsement for the school or the newspaper ;)

Reaction Score
No way Johnson isn’t a starter given how much Hurley hyped him.

He hasn't played more than 10 meaningful minutes of basketball this year. That is totally in the realm of possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom